Main Menu

Prog 2198 - Lock & Lode!

Started by Goosegash, 05 September, 2020, 01:02:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goosegash

Hey, I get to do this now. Only took me 17 years.

Cover: Sinister Dexter drawn by Luke Preece. Nice job, although Finny looks like a revolting hipster with that haircut.

Dredd: A couple of major things happen in this episode, one of which could be considered a significant development in Dredd's world if it sticks. I'm concerned that a reset button might be about to be pushed though, as it feels like things have gone "too far". It's a bit like one of those Dr Who finales when it feels like the writer's got themselves into an impossible situation and there's going to have to be some deus ex machina to return everything back to normal. Let's just say [spoiler]if Anderson is still dead at the end of next week's finale I'll be extremely surprised. [/spoiler]

The Out: A reflective episode looking back on Cyd's journey to this point. This is also wrapping up next week, it's been an unusually low-key and (deliberately) uneventful story for 2000AD, I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes next.

Tharg's 3rillers: This has been my highlight of the prog for the last couple of weeks, it's an intriguingly weird little tale that feels like something John Smith might've conjured up, and the art is absolutely gorgeous. This week episode also features possibly the most grotesque creature yet to appear in the pages of this comic - [spoiler]Jacob Rees-Mogg! I have to admit the reveal of "Nanny" made me cackle with glee.[/spoiler]

Sinister Dexter: Another familiar face from Ray & Finny's past shows up. I've been re-reading this from the very start over the last week, and I have to say I really do miss the variety of art styles we used to get on this strip. The quality wasn't always consistent but it felt...alive. It just makes the art on the current strips feel really flat and functional by comparison. It's competent and does the job of telling the story, but the chaotic, vibrant Downlode of the Simon Davis era feels a long way away now.

Diaboliks: I'm not quite feeling this strip yet and I think it's because I don't really find Solomon and Jenny very relatable as protagonists. They worked as part of an ensemble cast but as the lead characters I'm not so sure. Maybe it's because they're a bit too powerful so nothing really feels like a threat? I'm happy for this to continue as long as it keeps Dom Reardon in work, mind.

IndigoPrime

Same thoughts re Dredd. It feels more "how does the writer get out of this" than a state of permanence within the strip. If it is some kind of state of permanence, then it's massive. My guess: [spoiler]something something Giant sacrifices himself instead something[/spoiler].

Leigh S

My guess:

[spoiler]The Angel Head turns out to be Pat Mills[/spoiler]

Richard

David Roach's art is brilliant as always, but it did annoy me a little bit when his revolver ejected two shell casings like a semi-automatic.

Fenscape

Quote from: Leigh S on 05 September, 2020, 03:10:07 PM
My guess:

Its going to be Dallas all over again with Dredd waking up in a smoking sleep machine lol

JimmyNailz

Loving the cover! Those colours are lovely as is the line work. Sinister Dexter look dead cool (must be the cigarette). I'd buy this as a new reader to find out who these fellas are.

Dredd - Personally I'm not sure I'm a fan of the "Dreddator"-like design for Death-Dredd. I think it would have more impact if he just looked like the Joe we all know and love/hate. But, it IS a "summer blockbuster" after all so I've got to allow for a CGI monster fight at the end.  Storywise, I'm enjoying the pace and panic as everything goes to hell, though don't think for one moment that [spoiler]Anderson's death will stick[/spoiler].  I thought the shoot-out double-page was particularly well done.  Dunno how this'll get wrapped up in one more episode though. I thought the cits getting moved to the Undercity was going to be a whole plot-thread but that seems to have been left behind for now. Maybe it'll be the next story? I am willing to accept an "it was all dream" ending though I fear it will very much split readers if so.

The Out - Cyd tells us why she's been travelling in to the The Out and its really rather heartbreaking. 

Thargs 3Hrillers: Saphir - a rollicking fun tale that might be "too on the nose" for some, but I found it provided a a nice bit of humour to the cosmic-horror-adventure mix. I think this might be tester for a potential future Thrill, and I for one and am board for it.

Sinister Dexter - After looking all cool and "lcoked and loaded" on the cover, it's a very action-free chapter of Sinister Dexter with not a shot fired.

The Diaboliks - we get introduced to the Deus Vult. Now lets take em down! I love Diaboliks, but this chapter was a little less exciting than previous ones. Now we have a new addition to the team and a new enemy, I'm looking forward to seeing where we go.

JimmyNailz

Quote from: Fenscape on 05 September, 2020, 10:46:18 PM
Quote from: Leigh S on 05 September, 2020, 03:10:07 PM
My guess:

Its going to be Dallas all over again with Dredd waking up in a smoking sleep machine lol

I genuinely think this will be the case. The first words to the story are "He dreams..." and you never really see him wake up.

Colin YNWA

I'm caught up at last!

This one wasn't as good as Sundays (or last weeks as it's normally called).

Dredd has a solid episode but the all action final episode was a hollow thing in some ways. I don't buy the 'shock' at all. The two page shoot was great but indulgent.

The Out was fine but not quite as astonishing good as a single episode. The insight into Cyd's motivations was great and when this worry is read as a whole will be so significent but here felt a little like it was underlining a point that was made last episode.

Saphir I mean its not subtle is it! But its fun.

Sinistet Dexter - I miss Steve Yeowell. Pieces are still being put in place and it still lacking a sense of momentum,

Diabolics not as dynamic as last week as things are revealed and angels gather. Decent.

So yeah nothing is bad, far from it, but everything takes a little down turn so overall it feels a bit disappointing.

DrRocka

Almost a perfect prog for me, with only Dire Bollix and a lack of a letters page being the not-quite-there elements.
The Out - wow! This has pretty much turned me from getting the prog for history's sake, with all the Skip Tracer and The Order inanity that turns me right off, to being genuinely excited and - dare I say it - reverently looking forward to the moment I can get the latest prog. More of this, Tharg. Finally, you've got a happy squaxx again over here.
Never ever bloody anything ever

broodblik

A good solid prog before everything the next session of thrills.

Dredd - An action filled episode and it is difficult to see how everything wraps-up in one episode especially [spoiler]with all the players of the board, let us see what the Sovs can do about it. I cannot see that the death of Anderson will be real but you never know [/spoiler]

The Out - No action here but what a great way for the story to unravel. I can see what the next series might dish up but Abnett has surprised us with his direction of the script.

3riller - I am enjoying this one with great art by Roach/Doherty. It is a fast paced story which do not mind changing scenery.

Sin/Dex - The biggest let down is how the story is being told in small fragments. It does not help that each new start feels like a recap and we will never get going. I am already missing Yeowell on art duties here.

Diaboliks - As with Dredd it is difficult to see how this will wrap-up next week. The cast of Diaboliks are swelling and it looks like a new member has been added
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Link Prime

Quote from: broodblik on 09 September, 2020, 04:13:29 AM

3riller - I am enjoying this one with great art by Roach/Doherty.

Best lookin art in the Prog, and that's saying something.

Barrington Boots

My first post on the review thread, wish it were more effusive!

This Dredd story really hasn't engaged me at all - the sense of threat isn't really there, nor is the sense of scale: it's felt a bit like the cast walking from one room to another for the next fight. Like a lot of others have said I can't see this being wrapped up in one episode without a bit of hand-waving, but I'm interested to see what happens. I must admit I thought [spoiler]Ichabod was going to be the death reveal, but I still suspect he'll provide the element to resolve things somehow.[/spoiler]

The Out is just brilliant, more of this please.

I'm hugely enjoying the 3riller and not just because of the beautiful artwork and a bloke being called a cowardly Jackalsquid. I know it's a neccessary part of the 3riller format to do so but the story has moved along at a fair whack and I've really appreciated this in an era where sometimes things can feel a little dragged out. Highlight of the prog for me this week.

Sindex kind of meanders on - I agree with some of the guys above who said this story loses so much momentum by being told in small parts. I feel like they've been explaining the plot to different characters for months.

Diaboliks is another one that hasn't quite clicked for me overall. In his review Goosegash said Jenny and Solomon aren't relatable protagonists and this rings true for me too: they're pretty awful people and they seem so untroubled by everything thrown at them that there's not any tangible sense of threat. I much prefer the strip when it focuses on the minor characters in the cast however, so this episode was great.

Lovely cover too, definitely got a cinematic vibe to it.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

TordelBack

Quote from: Richard on 05 September, 2020, 03:26:21 PM
David Roach's art is brilliant as always, but it did annoy me a little bit when his revolver ejected two shell casings like a semi-automatic.

The spirit of Burdis reaches out,  even from the netherworld of Facebook.

TordelBack

No question in my mind that The Out is still the star in the current firmament, a beautiful joy of a thing, and Cyd is unexpectedly in Lindy Creighton Dingoes-Ate-My-Baby* territory, if not the full Kate McCann. Can safely say I did not see that coming.

Elsewhere, cover is strong, like to see more from this Preece fellow, and Droid Life has one of its weaker gags.

I seem to have flip-flopped into a minority here, but I'm really enjoying End of Days now. It's perhaps more Devlin Waugh than Dredd, but once I got over the idea that this was a serious eschatological epic, and more of Wizard of Oz trip through characters-past, I started having fun. Williams is so adept at both zany-with-an-edge and tense-psycho-drama modes that I was wrongfooted into thinking this was the latter.

A crackpot plot and a gaggle of supernatural weirdoes battling on the moon for the fate of the world - larks! I thought we all wanted less ninja conspiracies and more batshit Dredd capers? Of course Anderson and Ichabod aren't dead(-er) , but I'll be far less enthusiastic if Giant III bites the dust. However, I'm now predicting that some bad munce in the Sector House canteen is behind all this.

3riller is unfathomably gorgeous, but it turns out I can't even enjoy a less evil parody of Rees-Mogg.

Sinister Dexter: wot, no Yeowell?  Luckily Assirelli is a more than adequate substitute, very nice and clean.  Please let this story run more evenly,  Tharg, we're losing half the panels and all the momentum to an almost fortnightly recap.

*Spoiler: they did.

Southstreeter

Any subbers still waiting for their prog? Even though it's been coming late for months now, I can't remember the last time I didn't have it by Wednesday.