Main Menu

2000AD Manga version please!

Started by rnmirza, 13 March, 2007, 02:27:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rnmirza

I think I posted my last/first message in the wrong place (Pat Mills should retire)

I am sure that will offend but hopefully this one should amuse/interest

It may have been mentioned before.
How about a Manga version of some of the 2000AD characters initially for sale in Japan. Do an english version and put them in the Meg.

Marvel did some Manga versions of Spiderman/Xmen. Ithink the stable of 2000ad characters would suit MANGAFYING
Eg Johnny Alpha - pretty much a Ronin.
and the mech warriors that are the ABC Warriers

It would be one way of generating interest abroad and broadening the horizons. As both a fan of Manga and 2000AD I think the two could marry pretty well. You just need to fly to Japan for some meetings - any volunteers at the Office?

About me - new poster to this forum, reader since Prog 472.

Leigh S

To be honest, I find the idea of a 2000AD Manga more offensive than the other post! ;)

2000AD only has a small pot of creators, keep em knocking out 'proper' versions for my money, and leave the manga versions for the fanzines

rnmirza

A manga version by manga writers aimed for the japanese market could be a huge revenue boost for Rebellion (my cut can be 5%;) )

"small pot of creators"
The US/DC Version of Dredd was done by Wagner/Grant but the Manga versions could be done by established/upcoming writer artist over there - so to speak.

"leave the manga versions for the fanzines"
The idea came reading the 28days fo 2000ad on Dave Bishops Blog, where he details the sales of 2000AD. Revenue from Manga could boost the budget for 2000AD.

Dark Jimbo

I suggest you try and check out Meg 4.16 - it's got a neat Johnny Alpha/Durham Red story that's pure, all-out manga, I think the only time Tooth has explicitly had a dabble at the genre.
@jamesfeistdraws

Dog Deever

grumble grumble- keep that fookin manga AWAY FROM MY MEG!!!!

sorry for shouting- the veins in my forehead were filled to burstin!
Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.

El Spurioso

I'm not a fan of manga, but it's a good suggestion.  As a way of "broadening horizons", as the feller says, it can't hurt to investigate anyway.

Why get offended, folks?  The chap's not suggesting you be deprived of your weekly fix of Just-The-Way-It's-Always-Been-And-That's-The-Way-We-Like-It-And-That's-The-Way-It's-Staying-Or-Else thrillpower, he's talking about looking into other opportunities too.

Settle, petals.

Dog Deever

Heh! Heh! I was only messing about- but seriously, if there is a market for it, why not?.. but not in the Meg! In fact, if it will keep the damned stuff AWAY from the Meg and 2k altogether- I'm all for it.
Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.

Steve Green

As a novelty special, I wouldn't mind it seeing it done as a bit of fun - although I'd be more interested in a wider range of styles rather than just Manga.

- Steve

rnmirza

"I suggest you try and check out Meg 4.16 - it's got a neat Johnny Alpha/Durham Red story that's pure, all-out manga, I think the only time Tooth has explicitly had a dabble at the genre."
I have been reading the meg from Vol 1 Issue 1 recently and when I got to that issue (4.16) it suggested the idea. Just starting Vol5 (sorry Issue 201)

Funt Solo

Winter Special #7 (1995) was an "Alternity" version, where each of the characters was placed in a new setting.  For example, Judge Dredd was, I think, a knight in medieval times.  Something like that.

Anyway, whilst the wide focus approach didn't work very well, in my opinion, I really like the idea of a Manga Special.

Something a bit different, innit?
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Grant Goggans

Well, here's one of my bugbears up again.

Are you saying you'd like to see 2000 AD sold in low-priced paperback editions, or are you saying you want the characters drawn in the style of some particular artist from Japan - and if so, which one? -  or are you saying you'd like to see 2000 AD feature episodes which are fifteen-twenty pages long and only have two or three panels a page?

It's one thing if you want to ape a particular artist's style, but the reason so much Western "OEL Manga" is crap is because it's focussed on ticking boxes.  "Does it have funky armor and big eyes and small mouths and speed lines?"  Why, then it must be 'manga style,' whatever the hell that means.  That's why that Steve Kyte episode of Durham Red is so awful.

This is actually a huge bugbear of mine.

Link: http://hipsterdad.livejournal.com/139339.html" target="_blank">Manga is Meaningless

rnmirza

"Are you saying you'd like to see 2000 AD sold in low-priced paperback editions"
Been done, I have my Judge Dredd /Death sm P/B

"see 2000 AD feature episodes which are fifteen-twenty pages long and only have two or three panels a page?"

No, I am suggesting a new comic to be sold for the Manga market in Japan. If successful an english translation of some of the stories could appear as a backup in the Meg.

We had the DC version of Dredd - not successful but enough time has passed for another try.

And by a Manga version of Dredd I do not mean Dredd should be drawn ala Hondo City style.

House of Usher

I followed your link, Hipster Dad. Good argument; I can't agree more. Sadly, the western manga market's emphasis on style over content has turned me right off manga forever.

I'd rather stick to what I know and read stuff that I can say with confidence whether it's any good or not, than have to learn a whole new lot of literary conventions even to make sense of what I'm reading. I just don't think it can be worth my effort, especially as I'm entertained enough already by what my brain is already capable of grasping.
STRIKE !!!

Byron Virgo

Nice rant, Hipster Dad, you really hit the nail on the head with that one - particularly since you got a mention of Golgo 13 in there!

There's still stuff worth checking out though Ush, and the situation is gradually improving, with more quality work appearing out there (despite the almost universal right-to-left insistance). Most anything by Kazuo Koike, Junji Ito, Takao Saito, Harold Sakuishi or Eiji Nonaka is worth checking out.