Main Menu

Grant Morrison or Alec Worley - Writers Solhiem Cup - Tie 16

Started by Colin YNWA, 12 July, 2021, 06:29:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funt Solo

Morrison 3 : 2 Worley

I loved Dandridge and rated seasons 1 & 3 of Age of the Wolf highly. For Morrison, it's mostly Zenith, which is probably in the Top Ten Thrills list.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Dog Deever

Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.

sintec

Morrison 3 : Worley 2

Worley hasn't produced anything on the level of Zenith (yet).

Colin YNWA

Only one more day on this one and two days overall, so get your vote in today if you haven't and we can see what Team Classic can do to stop this turning into a rout.

And so we get to another vote that has surprised me. Consider Grant Morrison's work outside the Prog and he storms this. But we can't. Consider just Zenith, one of my favourite ever comics and its easy, but that's unfair. Consider Alec Worley's earlier work and this is straightforward, I wasn't a fan of Age of the Wolf and Dandridge, while having its moments didn't win me over ultimately. That would be unfair however as it would ignore now Alec's work has come on and got better and better and I've really liked both his Durham Red and recent Hookjaws - both wonderful... so what to do. I guess ultimately both have hit and miss careers in 2000ad and Alec Worley shows a much more promising trajectory and ask me in a year or two and this will be easy and ultimately I'm voting for Zenith on this one so:

Grant Morrison 3 ; Alec Worley 2

milstar

Grant definitely rocked in the Zenith. One of the best comics he ever written. However, I have a rather love-hate relationship with him. I prefer his earlier work. Even if he was lazy, at least it's coherent. I can't swallow his mind bending strips. And I utterly hate his Batman run. The Filth is too long and plain weird. Nameless you can read all over again repeatedly and you get each time more confused than the last. Also, I don't find his punk attitude appealing. Maybe that's why I avoided Doom Patrol. But All Star Superman, We3 are great. As is his Animal Man (which shines with the depressive Coyote Gospel, although previous issues were good as well) ; Gothic is deeply chilling supernatural thriller while Arkham Asylum probably is going to be remembered mostly for Dave McKean's art. But I appreciate what Morrison's intended to do with the material. And I appreciate it further by reading his script (although it sounds like a work of mad genius). His Prog work seems purely invested in the paycheck he'd receive.
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

IndigoPrime

Arkham Asylum is an odd one, in that I only read it quite recently. I thought it was dreadful.

Robin Low

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 14 July, 2021, 12:06:26 PM
Arkham Asylum is an odd one, in that I only read it quite recently. I thought it was dreadful.

Not wanting to drag this off topic too much, but you're right. I loved the opening, that's really good, but once inside Arkham it was dull and disappointing. Compare it with the Arkham scenes in Gaiman and McKean's Black Orchid.

Regards,

Robin

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Robin Low on 14 July, 2021, 07:08:33 PM
Quote from: IndigoPrime on 14 July, 2021, 12:06:26 PM

Not wanting to drag this off topic too much, but you're right. I loved the opening, that's really good, but once inside Arkham it was dull and disappointing. Compare it with the Arkham scenes in Gaiman and McKean's Black Orchid.

Regards,

Robin

Yeah I get this entirely. One of GMozz's rare mis-fires for me. I tried to read it a few year back and it felt like IT. WAS. REALLY. TRYING. TO. BE. HARD. INSIGHTFUL. DIFFICULT. CHALLENGING and it doesn't even make po-faced. At times it got to silly. I should try it again though I did love it back in the day.

JayzusB.Christ

Haven't read Arkham Asylum recently but I really loved it when I read it back in about 1994 or so.  I really didn't know much about the DC universe at that point - I mean I still don't really, but a lot more than I did then - and that was my introduction to a lot of the Batman bad guys.  Including Two-Face, believe it or not, who I was surprised later to find wasn't usually depicted as such a poetic lost soul.

I kind of liked the way the ending bucked the superhero trend a bit - [spoiler]It's entirely within the hands of the bad guys whether Batman lives or dies, and he just gets lucky[/spoiler]  But maybe it wouldn't stand up if I read it again these days.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Colin YNWA

VOTING CLOSED

Well I don't know what has been more interesting the conversation about GMozz's work outside of Tharg's perview or the voting. This one has seen votes of all types, shut outs for both writers (I'm not sure that's happened before - that both writers get a 5-0) all sorts of diverse option. I think that's testament to the diversity of 2000ad fans and the amplifying lens of the GMozz mind and the phase he was at when with Tharg. Mind that under plays the way Alec Worley has developed in front of our eyes and I don't think many mentioned Black Bess the recent, excellent volume. In the end however GMozz used his magic ways to get a lead and he never let it go to grab another consolation point for Team Classic:

TEAM CURRENT 9.5 : Team Classic 6.5

Team Current 672 : Team Classic 567

broodblik

I am still surprise with the love for Morrison's work for the prog (if you exclude Zenith I can not see anything worthwhile).  The MEM group has certainly contributed to the fact that I start believing that I have outgrown comics.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Colin YNWA

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: broodblik on 15 July, 2021, 06:51:26 AM
MEM = Millar + Ennis + Morrison
Arh that makes sense - though does raise the question as to whether its fair to place Ennis is that group. Not necessarily in relation to the quality of his work more his attitude to 2000ad and what not?

broodblik

This is about quality and not attitude. I have a huge respect for Ennis since he was man enough to admit his "mistakes" whereas I find Morrison's attitude as arrogant and "I am better than you"