Main Menu

TFU

Started by Tu-plang, 09 September, 2002, 08:51:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tu-plang

What is TFU?

Watching Spaced the other week, Tim and Mike named their Robot Wars compeditor TFU, which was decorated with Kev Walker/Jim Murray deisgns, as are most other things in the show.  He says it stands for "The Fuckest Uppest".  Then today, flicking through '97 back progs, I noticed Jim Murray's art on Space Girls, and how the Spacegirls ship wa called TFU for reasons unknown.  Then in the same prog, on the back was an ad for the new Megazine with a gatefold cover by Murray.  Somewhere in an obscure corner is the letters 'TFU'.

Sorry if that read like a bad Vector 13 case, but it just baffled me.  Anyone know quite what it is?

davidbishop

TFU does indeed stand for The Fuckest Uppest, a saying popularised by Jason Brashill and incorporated into Space Girls as an in-joke. Jason and Jim are great mates, hence the cross-polination, and both supplied art for Spaced...

davidbishop

Quirkafleeg

On the commentary on the DVD they claim it's the tag of some dead-hard graffiti gang from someplace down south (Bournemouth?). And that they had to get permission to use it or they would risk getting a beating or something...

GordonR

A beating from the Bournemouth Massive?  They must have been terrified.  

What passes for a dead-hard graffiti gang in Bournemouth, I wonder?  A bunch of retired quantity surveyors or the local bowls club out for a night of spraypaint mayhem?

Art

Oi! I'll have you know Bournemouths got a large population of media students as well, as well as the best Department of Computer Animation in the land. They'll 'ave you for that.

Quirkafleeg

Well given the above I don't think they were being entirely serious...

Slippery PD

As a local bournemouth lad (well Immigrant :-)).........  
Im sure mr Dammedandblast will give you a full run down....

Being a Scots from Greenock, having lived in Darlington, Middlesborough, North London, South London, Basingstoke, Camberley and now living in Bournemouth.

Its actually the first place Ive seen a police helicopter during a high speed police chase, so its well hard.  Honest......

They were tho chasing a man in his 60's on his electric wheelchair (as the Irn Bru) advert.  

sigu

Heh. Monty Python's 'Hell's Grannies'.

SiG- (always glad to see Bournemouth get the coffin-dodgers abuse instead of Eastbourne.)

jock

Course,  TFU are from Brighton...but carry on with the Bournemouth thread!

Jock

Quirkafleeg

>Course, TFU are from Brighton...

Yeah soz, I've just checked the DVD and it is Brighton not Bournemouth as I had mis-remembered Brashill was a member of the graffiti gang that used the TFU tag that used to operate there.

Bournemouth / Brighton... it's all darrrn saaarth!

Art

Bournemouths full of conservatives and wannabe media scum, Brightons full of hippies and semi-retired media scum.

damnandblast

What is it about Bournemouth? Why does everyone think it's a dinosaur's graveyard? OK, it's got it's fair share of OAPs but it's not God's waiting room.

According to one radio station (1? Virgin?) it's the trendiest place outside London. It's certainly the most expensive. There are that many domestic students in term time and foreign language students in the holidays that you can't move in the pubs. OK, so some of them get murdered occasionally, but nowhere's perfect.

Eastbourne, on the other hand, boasts citizens whose average age is 103. And don't get me started on Totnes...

Nigel

Slippery PD

Nigel - you are of course correct.  In term time Ive never seen so many young women in one place.

Of course Im married and Old, and all I can do is look. :-)  

sigu

"Eastbourne, on the other hand, boasts citizens whose average age is 103"

Cobblers.

Eastbourne hosts the biggest street skate event on the south coast and, apart from the millions of teenage foreign students who live here half the year, has plenty of young people. That's how we came up with Chris Weston, Liam Sharpe and er Toploader.

Not that Toploader is anything to be proud of, but you see what I mean.

SiG

damnandblast

"In term time Ive never seen so many young women in one place. Of course Im married and Old, and all I can do is look. :-) "

Heh. There's a lot of good lookin' to be had - a very high totty count, there's no denying it! I'm always amazed that I don't have more minor accidents when I drive along the cliff on the way home.

Nigel