Main Menu

Things that went over your head...

Started by ming, 09 January, 2012, 11:00:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: sheridan on 17 January, 2024, 09:43:52 AMIf there is more than one adjective from the same adjective group then you need to add 'and'.  So you can have a "big, green sign" or a "red and white sign"*, but not a "big and green sign" or a "red, white sign".

* like a barber's shop.

Well feck me, I've been teaching English as a second language for nearly 20 years, and never knew the rule about the 'and' or the comma with adjectives.

If I may be a pendant for a second, though, I'd say that 'really' was an adverb, not an adjective, and qualifies the adjective after it rather than the noun - you can have a 'nice car', a 'really nice car' but not a 'really car', as 'really' describes the niceness rather than the car. 

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

sheridan

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 17 January, 2024, 10:37:54 AM
Quote from: sheridan on 17 January, 2024, 09:43:52 AMIf there is more than one adjective from the same adjective group then you need to add 'and'.  So you can have a "big, green sign" or a "red and white sign"*, but not a "big and green sign" or a "red, white sign".

* like a barber's shop.

Well feck me, I've been teaching English as a second language for nearly 20 years, and never knew the rule about the 'and' or the comma with adjectives.

If I may be a pendant for a second, though, I'd say that 'really' was an adverb, not an adjective, and qualifies the adjective after it rather than the noun - you can have a 'nice car', a 'really nice car' but not a 'really car', as 'really' describes the niceness rather than the car. 

My defence is that it was close to the end of my break and I had to get back to work!

p.s. can't really make a post about grammar and complain about pedantry!

p.p.s. I'd consider you could say "big and green" but that it changes the emphasis of the sentence.

The Legendary Shark

English can be benderised to accommodate.

"The Hulk, a big and green sign of impending destruction, bounded towards the unsuspecting suburb..."

"Mesmeric and rotating, a red, white, red, white sign drew hairy people into the shop like itchy moths..."

As an writist, I is able to forceify bad English into mundane English in order to create something new - pompous English.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Dash Decent

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 16 January, 2024, 11:35:44 AMDredd's name has always been Joseph, but we never heard anyone call him anything but Joe.

My objection is entirely for the highly scientific reason that I don't like the sound of it.  "Joe Dredd" is a very cool name.  "Joseph Dredd" is not.  They might as well have changed his name to Bernard.  It's like suddenly announcing that the very cool sounding Johnny Alpha has Fanshaw as his middle name.

There's no reason that Dredd has to be a Joseph.  Just because someone is called Max, it doesn't follow that their name is Maxwell or Maximilian. Likewise Joe could have been christened/named Joe rather than Joseph.  If Frank Zappa can name his daughter Moon Unit, then simply naming a child Joe can't be an impossibility.  No way is my GI Joe man from childhood GI Joseph.  He couldn't be an action hero anymore.  He'd have to be the unit padre.

And, it's a fudge.  For about 18 years Joe was Joe, without a hint of Joseph anywhere.  If the stories had everyone calling him Joe but somewhere it showed Joseph - the name on a file, the identification on a vid link - then that would have been it.  But this is patently the movie changing something for the worse.  It could have been ignored but the fact it was then adopted into the comic is what I don't like.  Imagine if Stallone being helmetless meant we started seeing Dredd's face after the movie.  "Well, he's always had a face.  We just didn't see it for 18 years."  (Not to belittle Jim's argument, but to say, think how terrible a decision that would have been.)

So, yes, Joe is now, and must always have been, Joseph.  But it's disappointing and a wrong avenue they didn't have to go down.  (IMHO.)

PS If anyone named Bernard Fanshaw is reading this, you have my apologies. (And you can take that either way.)
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Dash Decent

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 17 January, 2024, 05:05:31 PMAs an writist, I is able to forceify bad English

This is why the Shark is legendary.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Dash Decent on 18 January, 2024, 12:43:36 PMIt's like suddenly announcing that the very cool sounding Johnny Alpha has Fanshaw as his middle name.

It is so not like that. It would be exactly like revealing that a character called Jonny Alpha's full name was Jonathan Alpha. (Note: I am not denying that Joe is cooler than Joseph, and Jonny is cooler than Jonathan.)
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Hawkmumbler

Jonathan Alpha sounds like a sexy Edwardian vampire killer and body builder or something.

Woolly

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 18 January, 2024, 02:40:31 PMJonathan Alpha sounds like a sexy Edwardian vampire killer and body builder or something.

Jonathan Alpha sounds like a name Laurence Fox would give to himself.

The Legendary Shark

It cannot be denied, though, that Johnathan Fanshaw Alpha is a cracking moniker. 

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 18 January, 2024, 03:31:55 PMIt cannot be denied, though, that Johnathan Fanshaw Alpha is a cracking moniker.

For a Torie youth maybe.

Funt Solo

I quite like Joseph Dredd - it adds gravitas. (I mean, one could argue it's a bit biblical, but the character isn't.) Joe's fine, as well - but it has the associated phrase "ordinary Joe" to contend with, which isn't very heroic.

Jonathan Alpha does sound shit - but it would be a good name for a no-nonsense librarian. Missing book in the stacks? That's no problem for my ... ALPHA EYES!
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

The Legendary Shark

Not forgetting his sidekick, Deweyface Decimalhammer.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 18 January, 2024, 03:42:16 PM
Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 18 January, 2024, 03:31:55 PMIt cannot be denied, though, that Johnathan Fanshaw Alpha is a cracking moniker.

For a Torie youth maybe.

If only he'd followed in his dad's footsteps.  And not been a mutie.  Makes you think... Sir John Kreelman, MP, Minister for Genetic Purity 😬

Dredd will always be Joe to me - I realise his full name is Joseph but before the Stallone film changed things I had this idea that in the future you could just be Joe without it being short for Joseph. Rico and Dolman don't even have first names. Or is it surnames they don't have?

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Blue Cactus

Let's not forget Joseph Pineapples.

JayzusB.Christ

:D

Let's try hard to forget Susan Bananas.