Main Menu

Which Apex Editions would you like to see?

Started by IndigoPrime, 25 September, 2023, 12:03:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnW

Quote from: pauljholden on 18 October, 2023, 09:37:40 PM... if I can find somewhere else to dump the shirts...
I'll take the one with the pineapples if you're getting rid of it.

A party ain't a party without tropical fruit on your shirt.
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

pauljholden

Quote from: JohnW on 18 October, 2023, 09:53:09 PM
Quote from: pauljholden on 18 October, 2023, 09:37:40 PM... if I can find somewhere else to dump the shirts...
I'll take the one with the pineapples if you're getting rid of it.

A party ain't a party without tropical fruit on your shirt.

I'm afraid that's the one I'm being buried in.

(every time I drew someone in a hawaiian shirt I'd draw a pineapple design, and one day I found that shirt...)

JohnW

Quote from: pauljholden on 18 October, 2023, 09:56:32 PMI'm afraid that's the one I'm being buried in.
I clocked you straight off for a classy fella.
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

13school

Quote from: Lorenzo on 18 October, 2023, 09:34:52 PMYeah, I think I get how the collector's world works. It can attract some peculiarly selfish types. I remember reading about missing Doctor Who episode collectors. Allegedly, there are still some episodes out there in the hands of collectors that the BBC don't have. The owners won't let the Beeb take copies and they won't let anyone else see it either. Not even at special BFI screenings. If the owners start asking mega-bucks then it's never going to happen.

My favourite line from a certain kind of collector (sadly you'll find them in pretty much every art form) is "if I hadn't grabbed it, it would have been lost forever" - which is fair enough, except when they then refuse to let anyone else see / hear / copy it, making it pretty much lost forever to everyone else

Dash Decent

Good to see PJ in the second photo, and his Brother in the first.

Quote from: Lorenzo on 18 October, 2023, 09:48:20 PMWhat is it with the BBC giving family members veto rights over ancient broadcasts? There is no legal or contractual basis for this.

That's not right.  Back then the writer retained the IP.  That's why Terry Nation (and subsequently his estate) own the Daleks.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: 13school on 19 October, 2023, 05:38:04 AMexcept when they then refuse to let anyone else see / hear / copy it, making it pretty much lost forever to everyone else
This happens now and again in retro gaming. There will be one extant copy of something and someone will buy it as an investment. But it's then some random moment from being snuffed out forever, since there's then no digital backup. (I vaguely recall controversy regarding, IIRC, Marble Madness II, which may have been dumped surreptitiously. But there are things like Chase HQ 2 for the GX4000, which reportedly has only two known copies, neither of which is with anyone willing to dump it.)

[/quote]
Quote from: Dash Decent on 19 October, 2023, 09:00:13 AMThat's not right.  Back then the writer retained the IP.  That's why Terry Nation (and subsequently his estate) own the Daleks.
Is there anything concrete on this. I've read all kinds of stuff recently about the Terry Nation deal, from specific negotiations to a bespoke buy-back of rights for an external project. Regardless, my understanding is he owns some rights rather than all of them. (The writer side of things is, I suspect, the BBC being over cautious, as usual.)

Lorenzo

Quote from: Dash Decent on 19 October, 2023, 09:00:13 AM
Quote from: Lorenzo on 18 October, 2023, 09:48:20 PMWhat is it with the BBC giving family members veto rights over ancient broadcasts? There is no legal or contractual basis for this.

That's not right.  Back then the writer retained the IP.  That's why Terry Nation (and subsequently his estate) own the Daleks.
Two separate things getting mixed up here. The BBC has given surviving relatives of actors/presentors, as well as the actors themselves, the right to veto repeat broadcasts of old programming.

Back in the sixties and seventies, many writers of Doctor Who episodes negotiated over control of characters (Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart) and monsters (Daleks , K9) so that they retained a say in any further use of their IP. In the case of Terry Nation he managed to secure ownership of the character rights out of the BBC and also writer's privilege over any story involving the Daleks. He had big plans to take them to the US and wanted the right to go it alone. He didn't have copyright over the design though as that was actually owned by Ray Cusick (working directly for the BBC) and Shawcraft Models who actually built the things. His estate still retains the same rights today which is why when Doctor Who was rebooted there was some very public bitching between the "Nation Estate" and the BBC about bringing the Daleks back.

pauljholden

Mod, it might be time to ***SPLIT THE THREADS***

(because there's no way a discussion about dr who IP isn't going to be long lasting...)

Woolly

Bringing this back on topic...

A Colin Macneil Apex edition would be a thing of beauty, especially if we could get the entire first half of 'Song Of The Surfer' in it's original black + white glory!

Appreciate that probably won't happen though.

Trooper McFad

Quote from: Woolly on 19 October, 2023, 04:18:13 PMBringing this back on topic...

A Colin Macneil Apex edition would be a thing of beauty, especially if we could get the entire first half of 'Song Of The Surfer' in it's original black + white glory!

Appreciate that probably won't happen though.

I want to add Colin to my wish list as well please

As long as there's some insurrection pages 😁
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

O Lucky Stevie!

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 14 October, 2023, 03:44:01 PMTo be fair, I'm not sure my resolve will hold. I was very clear that I would not buy the Kev O'Neill one, but I've seen people flicking through the thing on YouTube and, well...
Quote from: 13school on 15 October, 2023, 05:16:22 AMI wouldn't have thought Dillon would be a must buy Apex edition for me, but I'm pretty sure over the coming months I'll end up putting in an order for it. They're great books in general - haven't regretted one yet!

My heart sank when I saw Harlem Heroes listed among the contents but no Abelaard Snazz, Mean Arena or Tyranny Rex. However RED PLANET BLUES IN ITS ENTIRETY!!!

SOLD.
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

Swerty

I think a Judge Child apex edition would be pretty awesome if that's possible

Tjm86

Personally I would give any one of my appendages together with either of my offspring and those of my siblings for an Apex edition of the Apocalypse War including Block Mania.  In fact I would quite cheerfully offer up each and every one of my key organs for this.  Am I being slightly extreme or is this "one more for the madness?"

Le Fink

Quote from: Tjm86 on 20 October, 2023, 09:43:00 PMPersonally I would give any one of my appendages together with either of my offspring and those of my siblings for an Apex edition of the Apocalypse War including Block Mania.  In fact I would quite cheerfully offer up each and every one of my key organs for this.  Am I being slightly extreme or is this "one more for the madness?"
Sure, I would be interested, but how much of the original art is available for scanning? There wasn't a lot of McMahon's Block Mania in his Dredd Apex, sadly.