Main Menu

Underappreciated droids appreciation thread

Started by nxylas, 30 October, 2023, 10:29:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrington Boots

I'd forgotten about Ramon Sola, which makes him a great choice for this thread. Excellent art - there's something about his sketchy style that really brings pictures to life. Not the best at drawing sharks though!
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Woolly

Siku.
I remember him getting alot of hate when he did the 'Meatmonger' Dredd story, but I'd love for him to get another crack at the prog.

And David Bircham too (hope I spelled his name right!)
His work on Slaine was good, even if he wasn't really the right artist for it. Seem to remember he did some badly reproduced work on Sin/Dex too?

broodblik

I think Siku's last work in the prog was a Dredd story New Blood prog 2132-2133
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Blue Cactus

Always loved Siku, especially his colours. I remember his Dredd winding people up because he really was 95% chin but I thought it was good fun!

nxylas

Quote from: Blue Cactus on 02 November, 2023, 12:39:37 PMAlways loved Siku, especially his colours. I remember his Dredd winding people up because he really was 95% chin but I thought it was good fun!
People also got bent out of shape by him spelling Dredd's name badge as "DREED". Apparently, the first time was a genuine mistake, but after that, he decided to style it out.
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

JayzusB.Christ

I thought he was absolutely perfect for Sláine, but he only did a couple of episodes. I have to admit I didn't like his pen-and-wash (digital wash iirc) but I do realise fully painted artwork just isn't worth most artists' time.

I just looked up Reg Parlett - seems he was drawing cartoons from 1923 to 1990. Now that's a career.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

nxylas

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 02 November, 2023, 01:29:21 PMI thought he was absolutely perfect for Sláine, but he only did a couple of episodes.
Apparently because Slaine's overt paganism conflicted with his own Christian beliefs. Surprised we even got those few episodes, tbh.

Woolly

It's worth mentioning that as a kid, with my introduction to Dredd being the Titan reprints, I used to internally groan when I saw Ron Smith's work. I really didn't appreciate him at all.

It took a few years of maturing for me to realise just what a master he was, and fully appreciate the Mega-City madness he created with his depictions of the citizens. So much movement on every page, and he *really* knew how to tell a story.

But anyway, back on topic.
Clint Langley. Or to be more precise, the first book of 'Books of Invasion'.
I remember initially hating this new photo-based version of his work, but going back to it now I'm surprised by just how strong it is. The page of Niamh's funeral is up there with the best Slaine pages to ever grace the prog.

Woolly

Quote from: Blue Cactus on 02 November, 2023, 12:39:37 PMAlways loved Siku, especially his colours. I remember his Dredd winding people up because he really was 95% chin but I thought it was good fun!

Ah yes, the pointy chin!
Gotta give him credit for having the balls to mess with the visual formula, whilst still keeping it clearly Dreed  ;)

Link Prime

Quote from: nxylas on 02 November, 2023, 02:43:07 PM
Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 02 November, 2023, 01:29:21 PMI thought he was absolutely perfect for Sláine, but he only did a couple of episodes.
Apparently because Slaine's overt paganism conflicted with his own Christian beliefs. Surprised we even got those few episodes, tbh.

Ah- A devout Christian?!
At this time of year, at this time of day, in this part of the country, localized entirely within the portfolio of the creator of the Pan-African Gods?!

Well, Nyxlas, you are an odd fellow, but I must say... you steam a good psalm.

Funt Solo

(but Grud is frowning down upon thee!)

Quote from: Woolly on 02 November, 2023, 04:41:08 PMThe page of Niamh's funeral is up there with the best Slaine pages to ever grace the prog.

I've heard some folk aren't fond of Boo Cook's work, but I'm in love with this piece from Carry the Nine:

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

JayzusB.Christ

I love Boo Cook's style, though I think sometimes the scripts he's given don't match it in tone.

The Siku Christianity thing - well, you learn something new every day.  Lucky he wasn't given that Robin Goodfellow one to paint. Definite burn-in-hell material there.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 02 November, 2023, 06:14:22 PMThe Siku Christianity thing - well, you learn something new every day.

Well, he did do a 'manga' adaptation of the Bible...
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

GordonR

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 02 November, 2023, 06:14:22 PMI love Boo Cook's style, though I think sometimes the scripts he's given don't match it in tone.

The Siku Christianity thing - well, you learn something new every day.  Lucky he wasn't given that Robin Goodfellow one to paint. Definite burn-in-hell material there.

Last I saw, he'd got into a very right-wing, Trump-supporting mode of Christian belief...

nxylas

Quote from: GordonR on 02 November, 2023, 06:54:08 PM
Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 02 November, 2023, 06:14:22 PMI love Boo Cook's style, though I think sometimes the scripts he's given don't match it in tone.

Last I saw, he'd got into a very right-wing, Trump-supporting mode of Christian belief...
Oh, I didn't know that. I knew he was an ordained minister of some sort, but one can't draw any conclusions about his politics from that. I knew that Brendan McCarthy crossed the gammon bridge some time ago. I wonder whether that has caused some sort of falling out with Peter Milligan. Zaucer of Zilk is the sort of strip I would have expected the Milligan droid to write, and yet he didn't. But I could be putting 2 and 2 together and making 5 here.