Main Menu

2000 AD in Stages

Started by Funt Solo, 23 July, 2019, 10:57:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Link Prime

Quote from: broodblik on 11 September, 2020, 12:02:47 PM
As you said with Rogue Trooper they should have ended it with the traitor general. If they still wanted to do Rogue stories they could have  done it with stuff like Cinnabar. It is still Rogue but before he found the traitor.

A well worn discussion, but a Rogue re-calibration is long overdue.
Brian Ruckley's excellent Rogue Trooper reboot for IDW is long dead in the water, so why not try and make something of what we currently have on the table?

Surviving 'original' characters, if I recall correctly:

Friday
Top (Biochip)
Eightball (Biochip)
Lucky (Biochip)
Gunnar (Biochip)
Venus
Tor Cyan (Regened Rogue)

A talented writer from the current stable (along the lines of Abnett, Carroll, Hogan or Rennie) could surely consolidate that line-up and move the original (if convoluted) continuity forward with a compelling new hook.

broodblik

Gordon Rennie also had a stint where he did some Rogue stories in the vain of Cinnabar.  I enjoyed it but must say his Jaegir is excellent. I am all for a new take on Rogue but not the DC/Marvel thingy
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Link Prime

Quote from: broodblik on 11 September, 2020, 12:26:36 PM
Gordon Rennie also had a stint where he did some Rogue stories in the vain of Cinnabar.  I enjoyed it but must say his Jaegir is excellent. I am all for a new take on Rogue but not the DC/Marvel thingy

Yeah, Rennie's Nu-Earth flashback stuff was solid enough, and Jaegir is fantastic.
I also enjoyed 'Hunted' quite a bit too a few years back.

None of that stuff pushed the (deservedly poorly regarded) original story forward though.
No harm in giving it a shot in my view, if only to put it to bed once and for all.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Link Prime on 11 September, 2020, 12:33:28 PM
No harm in giving it a shot in my view, if only to put it to bed once and for all.

At some point, Covid-19 permitting, Duncan Jones' Rogue movie will head into full production and it seems inconceivable that His Verdant Majesty won't revive the character in some form to take advantage of any promotion of the film around that time.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Link Prime

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 11 September, 2020, 01:06:57 PM
Quote from: Link Prime on 11 September, 2020, 12:33:28 PM

At some point, Covid-19 permitting, Duncan Jones' Rogue movie will head into full production and it seems inconceivable that His Verdant Majesty won't revive the character in some form to take advantage of any promotion of the film around that time.

We can only hope Jim.

Someone send Peter Hogan a Tweet and tell him we need him to spin that Strontium Dogs magic on the current dogs dinner of a continuity.

IndigoPrime

Not sure I'd go down the continuity rabbit-hole with all the Fr1day stuff. You either do more stuff with 'original Rogue' in his Nu-Earth environment, or you do an IDW and reboot. Or, as a curveball, come to an arrangement with IDW where Ruckley's strip is reprinted in the Prog (or 2000 AD takes ownership of it for trade purposes) and Ruckley picks up where he left off—assuming he wants to.

Personally, I never gave much of a shit about Rogue Trooper. It seemed dull, even when I was a kid. But very occasionally, it stood out: Cinnabar (of course); the very first Fr1day strip (after which point, it should have ended); Alan Moore's Pray for War; some of Rennie's flashback strips. But mostly, the world itself is more interesting than the lead (or at least, Rennie's take in Jaegir), and Ruckley's version was the one time Rogue Trooper was cut short and I wanted to read more.

Link Prime

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 11 September, 2020, 01:38:28 PM
Not sure I'd go down the continuity rabbit-hole with all the Fr1day stuff. You either do more stuff with 'original Rogue' in his Nu-Earth environment, or you do an IDW and reboot. Or, as a curveball, come to an arrangement with IDW where Ruckley's strip is reprinted in the Prog (or 2000 AD takes ownership of it for trade purposes) and Ruckley picks up where he left off—assuming he wants to.

Not much of a Friday advocate myself, but why not kill him and his boys off and get it done with?
The 'original' Rogue lives on via Tor Cyan - give him some equipment (plenty of Biochips to choose from), a new direction and a talented new writer and away you go.
What kind of "new direction" you ask? Well, that's where the talented writer comes in.

The Ruckley continuation idea was mooted before a few years ago I think, so if Tharg hasn't extended the signet ring and / or BR hasn't kissed it at this stage, I don't see it happening now.

Jim_Campbell

We had a conversation a little while back about how Rogue is probably the most suited of all the 2000AD properties to an anthology-within-an-anthology approach — you could give a "Tales of Nu Earth" slot a semi-permanent residence in the prog for a big chunk of the year, with different teams delivering blazin' action stories, War Is Hell stories, quirky/poignant takes from the sidelines with civilian/non-combatant characters, all of varying lengths, and drop a couple of Rogue stories in there during the run to anchor the thing.

Possibly not the most amenable format for doing collected editions, which might be a big negative against the idea, but it would return Rogue to being a 'live' property again whilst side-stepping the fundamental problem of the strip, which is that Rogue just isn't very interesting.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Link Prime on 11 September, 2020, 01:48:14 PM
The 'original' Rogue lives on via Tor Cyan

He's dead, isn't he? My recall is very sketchy but didn't that whole thing wrap up with Cyan going in search of the original Rogue (after finding his biochip in Prog 2000)... something...something... another of the bio-beasties that was central to Cinnabar... something something... and then he basically falls to Nu Earth from a very great height.

broodblik

I would like to see Rogue return in the prog. I do not see Rogue as dull. I do not think we must look at Rogue as an individual but rather him and his bio-chips as one entity (that is how I see Rogue)
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

davidbishop

I vaguely recall getting original Rogue despatched into a black hole during my Reign of Terror, but that may well have been retconned away in the 20 years hence...

Woolly

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 11 September, 2020, 01:55:50 PM
Quote from: Link Prime on 11 September, 2020, 01:48:14 PM
The 'original' Rogue lives on via Tor Cyan

He's dead, isn't he? My recall is very sketchy but didn't that whole thing wrap up with Cyan going in search of the original Rogue (after finding his biochip in Prog 2000)... something...something... another of the bio-beasties that was central to Cinnabar... something something... and then he basically falls to Nu Earth from a very great height.

My last memory of Tor Cyan is him taking the original Rogue's biochip back to Nu-Earth (which is now a grass covered planet of peace). Am I forgetting something?*

*(Probably!)

GordonR

QuoteThe Ruckley continuation idea was mooted before a few years ago I think, so if Tharg hasn't extended the signet ring and / or BR hasn't kissed it at this stage, I don't see it happening now.

I had a drink with Brian - who lived locally - when his IDW Rogue came out.  Tharg's contact details, with Tharg's blessing, were passed on and I suggested he get in touch if he wanted to do more comics work. AFAIK, he never did, so you've got to assume he's not interested in continuing with Rogue or comics.

(He was principally an SF novelist, and that was his first comics work)

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Woolly on 11 September, 2020, 05:16:58 PM
My last memory of Tor Cyan is him taking the original Rogue's biochip back to Nu-Earth (which is now a grass covered planet of peace). Am I forgetting something?

That was the Prog 2000 story I mentioned upthread. It led into the final (?) Jock-illustrated Tor Cyan story (that I unsatisfactorily reprised) that ended with Cyan plummeting to his (seemingly inevitable) death.

Funt Solo

But in the classic Golden Fox Rebellion, Fr1day hotwires a cruise missile by jumping onto it whilst its in flight. Right there, precedent. I think we can assume that Toy Cyan survives that fall.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++