Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spikes

The Counterfeiters (Die Fälscher) A fictionalized account of the Nazi's Operation Bernhard.
Gripping stuff. And a film that shows that remaining true to your principles - though certainly not an easy path to choose, was possible in the death camps.

Professor Bear

Total Recall (2012).

Oh look, it's the city from Mass Effect.
Oh look, it's that bit from Last of the Mohicans.
Oh look, it's the robots from that game Vanquish.
Oh look, it's the ship from that game G Police.
Oh look, it's the cars from Minority Report.
Oh look, it's the fight scene from Terminator Salvation.
Oh look, it's the talky scene with Colonel Sanders from The Matrix.
Oh look, it's the zero-g fight from Gundam.
Oh look, it's that scene from Mission Impossible 4.
Oh look, it's the setting from Metro 2033.

I could literally do this all day...
This was a really hard movie to watch, as I don't think I've ever seen something which takes you out of the fiction so often not because it is making a commentary on the use of things the main character may have seen that he has now woven into a delusional narrative, but because it is so shit out of ideas that every last thing it does has been cribbed from elsewhere and they don't even try to hide it.  As cynical and soul-less an exercise in creative strip-mining as you are ever likely to see, it is just an awful film.

Richmond Clements

I tried to watch [spoiler]Catwoman[/spoiler] just now, thinking that it couldn't have been as bad as they say... and is wasn't. It was much worse. It is almost transcendentally bad.

Professor Bear

Jesus Christ, man, you only had to watch the trailer to know what you were getting.

"Cream.  STRAIGHT UP."

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Unicorn Bukakke on 01 December, 2012, 09:11:22 PM
Jesus Christ, man, you only had to watch the trailer to know what you were getting.

"Cream.  STRAIGHT UP."

I have not had that pleasure..!

On the plus side - I have just found Star Trek on Ch4! And it's the good Star Trek - not that old shit.

Ancient Otter

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 26 November, 2012, 10:20:54 AM
Finally watched Drive and Cabin In The Woods at the weekend.

Loved Cabin, as a horror fan I thought it was very, very, very clever. It wasn't scary, but bucket loads of fun, and a real horror movie made for horror fans who understand the cliches and tropes of the genre. It's hard to find genuinely fresh ideas in horror these days, but this was one of them. Jolly good show.

That the original or the remake  of Cabin in the Woods you saw?

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Ancient Otter on 01 December, 2012, 10:00:13 PM
Quote from: Keef Monkey on 26 November, 2012, 10:20:54 AM
Finally watched Drive and Cabin In The Woods at the weekend.

Loved Cabin, as a horror fan I thought it was very, very, very clever. It wasn't scary, but bucket loads of fun, and a real horror movie made for horror fans who understand the cliches and tropes of the genre. It's hard to find genuinely fresh ideas in horror these days, but this was one of them. Jolly good show.

That the original or the remake  of Cabin in the Woods you saw?

Heh.
Yup, I'm a horror fan, and I found it to be tired, trite and boring...

Ancient Otter

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 01 December, 2012, 10:08:35 PMHeh.

Original or remake?  :lol:

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Ancient Otter on 01 December, 2012, 10:15:13 PM
Quote from: Richmond Clements on 01 December, 2012, 10:08:35 PMHeh.

Original or remake?  :lol:

You're a cruel man, I really wish Cabin in the Woods was the brilliant. clever, genre breaking movie I saw in my head... but it wasn@t.

Tiplodocus

Really? I hadn't seen anything that deconstructed all types of horror movie so well. It was certainly clever to me. Any sensible thinking film maker wouldn't dare put any of the tropes it covered in a movie again, surely?

The only similar things I'd seen were SCREAM  and TUCKER AND DALE VS. EVIL (which was great).

But then I don't get out much so it could all be old news.

And I don't get the "original or remake?" joke.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Emp

Have to agree with Tip on the fact the TUCKER & DALE vs EVIL is brilliant...its nice to see rednecks portrayed in a positive light for a change.

Hawkmumbler

The original Cabin in the Woods was a short film made by Sam Raimi and was essentially a prototype for The Evil Dead. No home video edition exists but Studio Canal own the rights, so a home video release may be on the cards with the Evil Dead remake coming out next year.

Ancient Otter

People, I have a made a massive mistake   :-[  I confused The Cabin in the Woods with another horror film, and I would have got away with it thanks to Hawkmonger's film trivia knowledge but I thought it better to own up to being a idiot. Sorry folks!

Richmond Clements

QuoteReally? I hadn't seen anything that deconstructed all types of horror movie so well. It was certainly clever to me. Any sensible thinking film maker wouldn't dare put any of the tropes it covered in a movie again, surely?

To me it felt very much like they were having their cake and eating it. It felt just like every other dull horror movie of the past 10 years.

Buttonman

School of Rock - I love this film but it always annoys me when the parents boo when the School of Rock don't win - they just showed up at the end and aren't qualified to state who was best!