Main Menu

Total Recall movie 'to be remade'

Started by Toke_Stanley, 04 June, 2009, 09:40:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toke_Stanley

Arnold Schwarzenegger's 1990 sci-fi thriller Total Recall is being remade, according to reports.
Trade newspaper The Hollywood Reporter said Kurt Wimmer, who penned the 1999 version of The Thomas Crown Affair, is currently working on a script.
Film studio Columbia Pictures, which secured the film's rights in February, has said the remake will be a "contemporised adaptation".
It has not been announced who is being considered for the lead role.
The original film was based on the Philip K Dick story We Can Remember It for You Wholesale.
It follows a man who is haunted by a recurring dream of travelling to Mars - where he has never been - and a woman he has never met.
The ultra-violent film, from the creators of Alien, has since become a cult classic.
Sharon Stone and Rachel Ticotin also starred in the movie.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8080966.stm

Richmond Clements

Toke_Stanley

Does it really need to be?

I watch Total Recall quite often and the special effects still hold up (mostly).

Also, Arnie's still a reasonably big name, so I can't see the youth of today not wanting to watch him (and Sharon Stone).

Leave this one be (although I have a feeling Hollywood won't take much notice of my post  :cry:  )

Devons Daddy

it was our kind of movie though wasnt it.
truly was,
sci-fi loving lads that we are mostly. it had it all. including a three breasted woman.

christain bale in the lead does it for me,
let him get 30 million big ones a movie for saying yes.

great movie, does not need to be remade, would be hard to beat the orignal.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

Buddy

I think it's a terrible movie. The effects (apart from the x-ray machine) and designs are awful.

I'd welcome a remake.

Toke_Stanley

Quote from: "Devons Daddy"christain bale in the lead does it for me,

Well, he seems to have breathed new life in the Batman and Terminator franchises, so, maybe... (but only if they keep the three-breasted woman)

Buddy

Quote from: "Toke_Stanley"
Quote from: "Devons Daddy"christain bale in the lead does it for me,

Well, he seems to have breathed new life in the Batman and Terminator franchises, so, maybe... (but only if they keep the three-breasted woman)

Not so fast on the Terminator bit there..... by all accounts it's a stinker and Bale isn't the main character and has already stated that me may not be in any further Terminator movies if this one doesn't perform.

And as popular as The Dark Knight was, I hated it, and hope the next one (if there is a next one) doesn't take itself so seriously... as the Joker (or rather that bloke in make-up) said...'Why so serious?'

Liked Batman Begins though.

Steel Rabbit

Hmm... Interesting.

I've never seen any Terminator movies beyond the 2nd, but I quite liked the newer Batman movies (he's pretty much the only superhero I like). I enjoyed the original Total Recall, though, so this remake may be overkill for me. At least if it's worse than the original, we'll still have the original.

Toke_Stanley

Quote from: "Uncle Umpty"Not so fast on the Terminator bit there..... by all accounts it's a stinker.

Yikes, hadn't heard anything so negative on the new Terminator movie (okay, I confess, I haven't seen it yet - I was basing my assumption that Bale breathed new life into it on various reviews in the media).  Everything I've heard seems to suggest that it's pretty good.

What would happen if Bale didn't want to do the (rumoured) parts 4 and 5?  Surely not another "John Connor" - by my count a new Connor would be the fifth actor to play him.

Maybe they would act out the part of T3 they taked about when the T800 killed John Connor and Kate Brewster reprogrammed him etc.

Buddy

Quote from: "Uncle Umpty"Not so fast on the Terminator bit there..... by all accounts it's a stinker.

Yikes, hadn't heard anything so negative on the new Terminator movie (okay, I confess, I haven't seen it yet - I was basing my assumption that Bale breathed new life into it on various reviews in the media).  Everything I've heard seems to suggest that it's pretty good.

What would happen if Bale didn't want to do the (rumoured) parts 4 and 5?  Surely not another "John Connor" - by my count a new Connor would be the fifth actor to play him.

Maybe they would act out the part of T3 they taked about when the T800 killed John Connor and Kate Brewster reprogrammed him etc.

Read this:-
//http://www.aintitcool.com/node/41140

And I've read other similar accounts.

Toke_Stanley

Quote from: "Uncle Umpty"Read this:-

Yikes, I don't know whether I should have read all that or not.  Now I know the entire story, it may well spoil it for me, but, then again, I did find his take interesting.

I hope he was just having a bad day when he watched it (I had a toothache when I watched Se7en in the cinema and hated it for years!).  I really want to love T4.

ThryllSeekyr

There was a T.V. series based on this show.

I can' seem to find it on You-Tube like before.

I wasn't impressed

I didn't think orignal film need improving, but guess thre always oom for that with advancments that have been made since then.

Probably a more faithful adaption of the orignal novelisation, that suspect the first film departed from in lot of ways.

I still liked the original film though.

Perhaps they could make that triple breasted hoe look more natural.  As mutant as she was.

As for another great Arnie line from the film.

"Get Yur ARRRRRssse to Maaaarsss"

dweezil2

I love Total Recall, it's glorious over the top, pulpy fun and one of the few adaptations to capture the tone of Philip K. Dick's writing-though obviously it takes some liberties with the story.
Does it need remaking? Of course not. Just like the recent news of an Alien prequel, it smacks of Hollywood desperation. Besides, why not channel the money into adapting one of Dick's other novels? Christ, they'll be remaking Blade Runner next!
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Buddy

Quote from: "Uncle Umpty"Read this:-

Yikes, I don't know whether I should have read all that or not.  Now I know the entire story, it may well spoil it for me, but, then again, I did find his take interesting.

I hope he was just having a bad day when he watched it (I had a toothache when I watched Se7en in the cinema and hated it for years!).  I really want to love T4.

Oh yeah.... should have added SOME SPOILERS!

Proudhuff

got to disagree there,
PKD's stuff was nearly always and average Joe caught up in some madness or other, (even the Godstuff)and there was no way looking at Arnie at the time you could believe he was your average paper shuffler, As I recall ( see what I did there) the guy in the orginal story was PKD's usual whimpy pen pusher.

peace and love,peace and love (in a Ringo way)
DDT did a job on me