Main Menu

Batman and Robin (the movie) – not as bad as everyone made o

Started by Toke_Stanley, 09 June, 2009, 11:46:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the shutdown man

Quote from: "Toke_Stanley"The puns were okay.  It was the way they were delivered.

Yes, they were said out loud. Major cock-up.
You're at the precipice Tony, of an enormous crossroads.

Toke_Stanley

Quote from: "the shutdown man"
Quote from: "Toke_Stanley"The puns were okay.  It was the way they were delivered.

Yes, they were said out loud. Major cock-up.

:lol:  Good one

Proudhuff

Quote from: "TordelBack"Even Alicia Silverstone's rubber neeples can't make up for that.  Well, maybe.

and do you think you can get a photo of that on the web? erm  not that I was looking or anything erm  :oops:
DDT did a job on me

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: "Tiplodocus"I feel BATMAN AND ROBIN needs to be held up as the worst example of what the excesses of Hollywood film making by committee, focus groups, agents, marketing people and toy manufacturers can produce.

Hurrah!

Fair play to anyone who enjoys this film though. You're obviously quite mad, but fair play to you. :-)
@jamesfeistdraws

Adrian Bamforth

Well my opinion is you can do Batman dark, but by the time Robin gets involved... you can no longer do it dark. The clue is in the title: If you want to see a dark film, don't see a film called 'Batman and Robin'.

There's an awful lot of snobery around Batman: That it has to be dark and serious...as if that's the only way it was ever done in comic format. There's all kinds of ways of doing Batman, and doing it as a kids' film is valid.

Personally I liked it as a fun kids' romp. I actually thought that Batman came to life more that Tim Burton/Michael Keatons' 'jumpy' gadgety portrail. Batman has more physical presence. It was more comic-booky than Burton's 'dark fairy tales', which I thought never suited the character. It's not at all easy to make films of comic books - the medium of film is based in the real world and you have to spend millions trying to build a convincing fantasy with it's own laws of physics that emulates the comic version, otherwise it looks laughable. With Batman and Robin they decided what they wanted to do, and it was different from what the earlier films were attempting...in fact I think it was more ambitious.

Peter Wolf

I havent seen it yet so i am one of the lucky ones.

"you cant judge something until you have seen it !!"

Yes i bloody can and i will.

Or have i seen it ?

Something may be stored in the data banks as Chris O Donnell seems to have triggered a flashback to a traumatic incident that was nicely compartmentalised and filed away and forgotten until this thread appeared.Having conducted a search through the files it seems i watched about 20 minutes of it on TV and then switched channels 20 minutes too late.

" I saw a post on IMDB by a blatant troll who wrote on the Dark Knight Returns board that Batman and Robin was better than the Dark Knight - you should have seen some of the names he got called. Sadly, I agreed."

You agreed with the names or the film or both ?

:D
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

dweezil2

Quote from: "Toke_Stanley"I just watched the 1997 outing starring Arnie, George and Uma and I actually quite liked it (although I do remember hating it at the time it was released).  

Okay, the dialogue was a bit clunky in places and Batgirl was criminally underused, but the action scenes were fun and it never took itself too seriously.  

I think George Clooney (if used right) could have made a pretty good Batman if he was given better material – a vast improvement on Val Kilmer in any case!

It's so bad it's not even, "so, bad it's good", post modernist. I had been lucky enough to have never seen this abomination of a movie on it's release, but unfortunately it was on channel 5 or some other excuse for a broadcasting company last Christmas and our paths crossed.
It was so poorly conceived, that I felt that Joel Schumacher had personally called round my house uninvited, drank all my booze, left a floater in my toilet and had thrown up over my Grandmother! I was that insulted.
The actors looked trully embarrased to utter lines like "Ice to meet you" and the whole experience resembled "Carry on Batman", without the benefit of prime Bab windsor and her sequined nipples.

I didn't like it.

Fair play for killing Chris O'Donell's career stone dead though!
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

I, Cosh

Quote from: "zombemybabynow"worst film EVER made, in my opinion
I also think a Batman film is the worst ever made. In my case it's Batman Returns, which I found to be utterly dreadful in every way. Worse than Batman & Robin because I got the distinct impression I was supposed to take it seriously and before anyone says it, Michelle Pfeiffer doesn't look sexy, she looks fucking stupid.

I always thought Batman Forever, with it's ridiculous overblown statues, captured more of the look of Gotham than Burton's cartoon gothery and anyone would've been better in the batsuit than that plank of wood Keaton. Although I blame Burton for that as well as he doesn't seem to be able to elicit a performance out of any actor (the likes of Nicholson and Depp will deliver whatever else is going on.) He should stick to art direction.

Thanks to Usher and Professor Byah. I'd totally forgotten ever seeing Saviour of Soul (but not God of Gamblers) and I've just added Killer Nun to my Lovefilm queue. Anita Ekberg; country'll grow.

Unfortunately, Batman & Robin's pish, but keep up the good work Toke.
We never really die.

Mardroid

I actually quite liked Batman Forever. At the time anyway. Would I now? I'm not sure. It was rather silly but I quite liked the outrageous wackiness of JIm Carrey as the Riddler. And then there was that little poke at the original series:
"Holy rusted metal Batman!"
"Huh?"
"The ground. It's all rusty and it's got holes in it."
Awful joke. It made me laugh though.

As for Michelle Pfeiffer as Catwoman... sexy or stupid? Kind of both I think! I did think she looked very sexy in a kinky kind of way, but there's certainly a strong sense of the absurd there. But then she was supposed to be.

Batman and Robin being better than The Dark Knight though. Not even same ballpark... to borrow an American expression. I saw The Dark Knight recently, and while it was rather long (possibly too long) it was a great film. I can see the criticism for Bale's growling though. Boy was that overdone.

Toke_Stanley

Quote from: "Mardroid"I can see the criticism for Bale's growling though. Boy was that overdone.

I always thought he sounded like he was trying to warm up for the part of John Connon.

the shutdown man

Quote from: "Toke_Stanley"
Quote from: "Mardroid"I can see the criticism for Bale's growling though. Boy was that overdone.

I always thought he sounded like he was trying to warm up for the part of John Connon.

I think the problem with the growling was, it worked in the first film when it was only really used in short sharp bursts for roaring into bad guys faces. In Dark Knight, which I do love, he had to conduct full conversations in the bat-voice and it just didn't sound right.
You're at the precipice Tony, of an enormous crossroads.

Roger Godpleton

The problem with CB is that he's excellent as Bruce Wayne (although a bit too much like his Patrick Bateman) but mediocre as the Batman.

Batman & Robin is stupid and lame.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Colin YNWA

For me it suffers from what so many Superhero movie squeals do and thats trying to out do the previous films. The Batman movie has a brillant villian the Joker and he and Batman are the focus of the movie, really its the development of two characters and how they interact, all be it voilently. The second film therefore has a problem the best villian has been used and you need to raise the stakes. So you throw a little more at it, in this case Penguin, Catwoman and that other one played by Chrisopher Walken. Right by the third you're in a bit of a pickle so you try two main villians and lets put Robin in. By the fourth its all getting a bit silly and you're just throwing whats left at it without giving any of it enough screen time to really develop and work.

The Spidey Franchise did so well avoiding this in the second film, probably because Doc Ock is actually a more interesting villian than Green Goblin anyway? Then it just lost it in the third with heavens knows how many charcaters and subplots bouncing around none of which are given enough time.

ThryllSeekyr

While I was going to say that I quite enjoyed the George Glooney "Batman and Robin" film last time it was on television.

A few weeks ago now. It was just the thing I wanted to watch at the time and for all it's tackiness. For a while, it was the best out of he lot and I remember going to see this film when it first screened. Which shows you that I spent a awful lot of money going to the cinema when I was still working. When it was showing, during the holiday season. I was also preparing for my first ski trip. If anybody can see the connection between that and sking.

Looking back on it now, It was pretty tacky and I reckon all Batman movies were. Even the brand new Dark Knight films. For all their seriousness, More attention to realism. As much as that may be acheived with that character.

To give more credit to the very last movie "Dark Night" I thought the Bat-bike and Batmobile were cool --the latter introduced in the previous film--, The late Heath Ledger's performance is very good,  His make up on closer insepction gives his character a subltely amphibious look. Esepeicailly with the frog like expressions he achieved with his tongue out of mouth. No offence intended towards the late actor.

On that note,I hope none of my criticsm elsewhere on this thread is taken personally by the many participating actors and atress's who starred in all these Batman movies.

With particular honours to Jack Nicholson and Arnie.

Concering the film "Dark Knight"......

Despite Batman's relocation to the city while the Manshion's being rebuilt. I thought to myself what city is that meant to be anyway? It didn't eally seem like Gotham. Lacking it's much needed comic book shadowy atmosphere. I think the new approach was abad idea.

It's so much more like Batman goes on holiday.

Looking back on all of thos Batman films. I'm astounded that so much has been spent on all of them. That they were all being made.Dspite those first fiew films not being what they might have been. Not evn those "Dark Knight" movies hit the mark. For all their change of approach. Don't know why I bothered to see them at all, but I did and it was only the second film
that I nevered bothered seeing  until I watched it on cable television.

Does anybody remember the Movieworld attraction called "Batman: the Ride" and the constant barrage of advertisement for this on telivision and in the cinemas? I would silently groan sitting in the movie theatre before the show after a period of time had been spent watching the ad for it and I make that one trip to Movieworld. But not for the Batman ride alone.

Though I did!

When in Rome, they say!

Hmmmm, the power of Batman and advertising :twisted: