Main Menu

Anyone seen Pandorum?

Started by Toke_Stanley, 18 February, 2010, 09:42:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toke_Stanley

I don't normally go around plugging movies (okay, I did it for the film adaptation of Stephen King's The Mist, but apart from that – no).  Peoples' tastes are usually too diverse for me to recommend something that everyone will like.  I've tried talking about it to some of my mates, but no one seems to have heard of it (this is the zombie movie 'Fido' all over again!).

But I watched the sci-fi/horror film Pandorm last night and it completely blew me away.  I just added to my Lovefilm rental list because it was sci-fi, but its premise sounded more like a B-movie.  I couln't believe how good the special effects were, plus good acting, no completely 'dumb blondes' running back into the house when chased by the serial killer, plus it had a few good plot twists.

If you're looking for a film that's a cross between Event Horizon and Alien, you could certainly do a lot worse (and now's the time I tell you it didn't do that well at the Box Office, meaning any possible sequel is highly unlikely – damn-it!)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1188729/

Anyway, am I the only one to worship this seemingly undiscovered gem?

the_Zomboid

i had been waiting for this one for a while and when i finally got to see it i was a bit . . . confused. i enjoyed the setting, the acting, the plot etc but there was something about it that bugged the hell outta me. . .and i'm not sure what it was!!!
i wouldn't tell people to avoid it by any means ;)

Tiplodocus

Caught this at my brother's the other night and it's enjoyable enough even if it does wear it's influences heavily on it's sleeves.

It's structure is remarkably like that of a game (protaganist wakes with amnesia, explores ship taht he doesn't really know way round but when crunch time comes, he can actually work machinery etc.) and I got a lot of the feel of THE DESCENT from it as well as the obvious influences (any haunted house movie, any big space ship movie).

Lots of plot daftness though; including a spaceship designed by the same people who designed the one in GALAXY QUEST. But I did like the creature design and the fact that the trailer didn't give the whole game away.

And I liked the scene where the hero realises [spoiler]his girlfriend never joined him on the ship and that [/spoiler] he has no reason to go on.  Until the heroine all but waves her rather impressive puppies in his face and he finds something to live for after all.

I don't normally guess twists but I managed both of these (though there were subtleties to both that I didn't quite guess).

Good scary creature design though. And Dennis Quaid really should get more screen time - he's great.

It's not brilliant but serviceable enough; expect little and you won't be disappointed. 
Be excellent to each other. And party on!