Main Menu

The Reason behind the King of Crooks title change?

Started by The Adventurer, 18 January, 2006, 08:29:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Adventurer

So we finaly get The Spider HC from Titan, only to find out it had a title change from The Spider: King of Crooks to just King of Crooks.

Well I think I may have found the reason.

Check the link below this post for a Newsarama story about shake-ups around Marvel's Marvel Knights line.

This part is the relevant bit to the topic at hand...

Four projects are currently scheduled to come out under the Marvel Knights imprint in the coming months:

Silver Surfer: Requiem by J. Michael Straczynski & Esad Ribic (late 2006 or early 2007)
The Spider by Kaare Andrews (late 2006)
Fury: Peacemaker by Garth Ennis & Darick Robertson (February)
Spirit Of Vengeance (the original, Western Ghost Rider) by Garth Ennis & Clayton Crain (late 2006)

So... I'm taking a wild guess here, but it seems Marvel probibly got the title trademarked before Titan got the chance with their Hardcover. And since The Spider and Spider-Man do have very real similarities (in terms of Powers and Ablilities at least. Not appearance and personality) Titan probibly got slaped with potencial Trademark (or Copyright, I always mix up the spessifics of each) violations if they titled their book The Spider, due to the potencial confussion of comic readers.

The likely reason?

Link: http://www.newsarama.com/marvelnew/MarvelKnights/MKredefined.htm" target="_blank">Shake Ups in Marvel's Marvel Knight Line

http://img467.imageshack.us/img467/4755/thespider01cvr6cz.jpg">

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

pauljholden

Possible, but if Titan still distribute the Marvel graphic novels in the UK (I know they do some DCs) it's more likely they just saw the name, realised there would be confusion and just changed the name of the less well known one.

Not everything has to involve a lawsuit :)

- pj

The Amstor Computer

How dare you!

/me shakes his fist at PJ & runs off to his local solicitor...

;-)

DavidXBrunt

Apropos of nothing but Modesty Blaise book 8 is in the shops now.

Noisybast

Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

The Amstor Computer

Noisy --

The Puppet Master. Next volume after that is The Gallows Bird, but no further volumes have been announced (yet).

+rufus+

Titan had problems with US distribution because some Bozo in California registered the name 'The Spider', (it wasn't Marvel), and wanted payment, despite the fact that our Spider is older (but not registered in the US unfortunately).
:-) R

Satanist

Im just popping out to register the following...

Playstation4
Playstation5
Playstation6
&
Xbox720

Thats my retirement sorted   :-D
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Bhuna

Don't forget
Playstation IV
Playstation V
Playstation VI

I'll be expecting for my consultancy cheque soon ;]

twitter.com/Bhuna1967
twitter.com/pigdogpress