Main Menu

Strip Magazine - New UK High Street Title

Started by Jim_Campbell, 02 July, 2010, 12:34:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

Some familiar faces involved in the soon-to-launch Strip Magazine.

With this and CLiNT looking to launch before the end of the year, this is probably the most exciting time for British comics for a good few years, probably since Warhammer Monthly got cancelled.

What's that you say? Will the lettering be any good? I can say with some confidence that a good chunk of it will. :-)

Cheers!

Jim

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

pauljholden

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: pauljholden on 02 July, 2010, 12:48:37 PM
Weeeeeee.....!

I never got to see the coloured version of your page, BTW. Looks like Gary did his usual excellent work.

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

TordelBack

Holden, Ridgway and Campbell?  I'm in!

Any clues as to what the Ridgway story is about?  It looks cool.  And more PJ 'splosions!

Goosegash

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 02 July, 2010, 12:34:08 PM
Some familiar faces involved in the soon-to-launch Strip Magazine.

With this and CLiNT looking to launch before the end of the year, this is probably the most exciting time for British comics for a good few years, probably since Warhammer Monthly got cancelled.

What's that you say? Will the lettering be any good? I can say with some confidence that a good chunk of it will. :-)

Cheers!

Jim

This looks really good! Nice to see Ridgeway involved, as I thought he'd pretty much retired.

Colin YNWA

Well these certainly are interesting times. Looking forward to seeing what both these new titles have to offer.

pauljholden

I've seen the line up they're working on, looks like a brilliantly mixture of stuff - puts me in mind of the original Warrior more than anything else. Hand on heart, if I wasn't in it, I'd buy the hell out of it...

-pj

Proudhuff

hopefully we won't get that thing that happened in the eighties where every publisher put out something so the market was awash for six months then all of them went to the wall.

oh and this from that link....

The magazine is not accepting submissions or story pitches at this time as the initial line-up is now almost completed. However, interested creators should send samples of their work to the magazine's UK editor John Freeman via johnfreeman6-comicsamples. (Anyone who has recently sent samples need not re-send)

DDT did a job on me

Spaceghost

Wow, that is exciting. I remember enjoying Strip from the early 90's with the Marshall Law reprints and the story about the crab who was a private detective(?). I know it's not the same comic, just reminded me...

It's about time we got some new titles in this country. Congratulations to all involved.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

pauljholden

I misread that as:

QuoteCongratulations to all invoiced.

Which as a freelancer is as good a reason to congratulate as any...

-pj

Emperor

This looks excellent - they have one eager purchaser here (I'm already excited about it and I only read about it minutes ago!!).
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Van Dom

Yes, yes, count me in for this, been waiting a long time for something new and fresh. Groovy!
Van Dom! El Chivo! Bhuna! Prof T Bear! And More! All in Vanguard Edition Three, available now. Check the blog or FB page for details!

VANGUARD COMIC!

VANGUARD FACEBOOK PAGE!

Daveycandlish

I'm in. I mean buying it, not actually in it.

Holden, Ridgway and Hudnall edited by Freeman sounds like a winner to me!

An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

TordelBack

Here, Hudnall is on art duties, right?   'Cos I find his political stuff a little, well, horrid.

johnfreeman

Thanks for the kind words and vote of confidence, folks. And especially to PJ Holden, Jim Campbell and Gary Caldwell for their work on this project so far.

John Ridgway's strip is a colour (and in some parts, re-drawn) serialization of Age of Heroes, written by James Hudnall, which was first published in the 1990s. John has been doing a huge amount of colouring work as well as the occasional Commando book of late, and if you want to see some of it, check out his Garth pages on the Dan Dare magazine Spaceship Away.

There will be an announcement next week about the inclusion of a classic British comic strip from the 1970s in Strip Magazine UK. There was some toing and froing on this and I can't actually say which strip it is but you're the first to know that agreement has been reached and fans of action will be sure to want to sink their teeth into it...  :D