Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sintec

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Jade Falcon on 21 May, 2020, 05:07:36 PM
Phoned my newsagent today, they've got issue 70 in which if I remember right is either a Alaine book or future shocks, no sign of 69 or 71, however it's something.

All release dates from vol. 70 onwards have been revised; Durham Red (71) is now due out next Wednesday, so you've not missed anything.
@jamesfeistdraws

Jade Falcon

Well I haven't had the last Nikolai Dante, but I can hope they get it in.  I still wish we had an idea as to what the extension might consist of.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

karlos

If anyone has a copy of Dante vol 6 they want to sell, please give me a shout! Ta!

oddballuk

So I asked again about the extension and here's what they said!

QuoteHey Dan,
Here is a list of the issues which will feature in the extension, please take into account that the issue order is subject to change, however:
81 - Flesh
82 - Firekind
83 - The Red Seas
84 - Lobster Random
85 - Savage:  The Guv'nor
86 - Ten-Seconders
87 - The Red Seas Vol 2
88 - Brink
89 - Fiends of the Eastern Front
90 - Greysuit
91 - VCs
92 - Indigo Prime
93 - The Red Seas Vol 3
94 - Dominion
95 - Savage:  Rise Like Lions
96 - Jaegir
97 - Grey Area
98 - Defoe
99 - Inigo Prime Vol 2
100 - VC's Vol 2
101 - The Red Seas Vol 4
102 - Mercy Heights
103 - Absalom
104 - Brink Vol 2
105 - The Order
106 - Grey Area Vol 2
107 - Defoe Vol 2
108 - Tales of Telguuth
109 - Tyranny Rex
110 - Judge Dredd:  the Small House
111 - Strontium Dog:  Repo Men
Hope this helps!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: oddballuk on 27 May, 2020, 10:24:19 AM

Whoah. I'm pretty excited about quite a lot of that.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Rately

Quote from: oddballuk on 27 May, 2020, 10:24:19 AM

QuoteHey Dan,
Here is a list of the issues which will feature in the extension, please take into account that the issue order is subject to change, however:
81 - Flesh
82 - Firekind
83 - The Red Seas
84 - Lobster Random
85 - Savage:  The Guv'nor
86 - Ten-Seconders
87 - The Red Seas Vol 2
88 - Brink
89 - Fiends of the Eastern Front
90 - Greysuit
91 - VCs
92 - Indigo Prime
93 - The Red Seas Vol 3
94 - Dominion
95 - Savage:  Rise Like Lions
96 - Jaegir
97 - Grey Area
98 - Defoe
99 - Inigo Prime Vol 2
100 - VC's Vol 2
101 - The Red Seas Vol 4
102 - Mercy Heights
103 - Absalom
104 - Brink Vol 2
105 - The Order
106 - Grey Area Vol 2
107 - Defoe Vol 2
108 - Tales of Telguuth
109 - Tyranny Rex
110 - Judge Dredd:  the Small House
111 - Strontium Dog:  Repo Men
Hope this helps!

Thanks for the info!

Looking forward to so much of this! Especially the chance to finally get to read Firekind, and get caught up on Indigo Prime, which I remember loving when I was first reading 2000AD.

The inclusion of Brink is also great news, as I've been looking to get caught up with that series as well.

Anyone any idea how they will pad out The Small House? Might they include Titan?

IndigoPrime

Rately

oddballuk

Quote from: Rately on 27 May, 2020, 10:35:48 AM
Thanks for the info!

Looking forward to so much of this! Especially the chance to finally get to read Firekind, and get caught up on Indigo Prime, which I remember loving when I was first reading 2000AD.

The inclusion of Brink is also great news, as I've been looking to get caught up with that series as well.

Anyone any idea how they will pad out The Small House? Might they include Titan?

Titan was included in the Judge Dredd collection but Enceladus wasn't so that ought to make up the page count with the Small House.

oddballuk

Just noticed that they gave me a list up to volume 111 so that's 31 issues instead of 30?

I'm not complaining though!

IndigoPrime

Er, and now for a slightly more measured response. Ahem. So for me personally, that's a pretty fine ratio of good to not good. I don't care for Greysuit at all, and can take or leave VCs. I'm also a bit hmmm about The Order, since it's an ongoing, so we'll end up with Billy Half a Story. But:

— Firekind in HC. And it's not big enough to fill a book, so that means... something else? Leatherjack?
— The COMPLETE Red Seas in HC. YASSSSS
— Lobster Random, which was fun and bonkers, and had only a tiny chunk in HC before
— More Savage, which is my favourite modern Mills effort, so, yeah, good
— Brink, which is brilliant; not sure how much they can squeeze into these three vols, mind
— Indigo Prime AND Tyranny Rex, obliterating my fears this extension would omit John Smith fare
— Jaegir in HC — fuck yeah!
— Fiends in HC — ditto
— Ten-Seconders — MWAH
— More Absalom

Mercy Heights is the one real oddball here. It was a strange strip at the time, and only for me really become something interesting when [spoiler]Tor Cyan buggered off on his own[/spoiler]. Could be a really good excuse to reprint Medivac, if it's an ER in space issue.

Anyway, yes, very happy with this. Thank you, Matt Smith (assuming you compiled this list), and I really hope the first two books don't change in the sort order, because that means Firekind HC around Sept/Oct.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Rately on 27 May, 2020, 10:38:15 AMSo, its a bit good then?  :lol:
Everyone has their favourites. Firekind is one of mind — a beautifully designed and written piece of storytelling by John Smith and Paul Marshall, which was subsequently pillaged by James Cameron for Avatar. Firekind was, however, described by Matt Smith in a podcast as one of those 'awkward' strips that doesn't really fit very well into reprint. Looking at Barney, it's 78 pages, which would just about make it work as a skinny Rebellion trade — but it almost certainly lacks pulling power on its own. (To date, the only reprint version is in Rebellion's Extreme Edition reprint comic, years back.) But as a spot in a partwork, it makes perfect sense.

Also, looking at Barney, the strip ran from #828–840. Although not quite surrounded by dross — it started when the reasonable Kano and fun Armoured Gideon Book 2 were running — it did help offset the stink of Purgatory and some seriously dodgy Dredd.

Speaking of, the one omission from that list I'd loved to have seen in there: Armoured Gideon. Ah well. Perhaps one day I'll make my own custom HC of that...

Rately

Quote from: oddballuk on 27 May, 2020, 10:39:48 AM
Quote from: Rately on 27 May, 2020, 10:35:48 AM
Thanks for the info!

Titan was included in the Judge Dredd collection but Enceladus wasn't so that ought to make up the page count with the Small House.

Thanks!

Loved the Small House, and looking forward to seeing the majority of the storyline collected together, in a lovely HC edition.

Rately

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 27 May, 2020, 10:48:35 AM
Quote from: Rately on 27 May, 2020, 10:38:15 AMSo, its a bit good then?  :lol:
Everyone has their favourites. Firekind is one of mind — a beautifully designed and written piece of storytelling by John Smith and Paul Marshall, which was subsequently pillaged by James Cameron for Avatar. Firekind was, however, described by Matt Smith in a podcast as one of those 'awkward' strips that doesn't really fit very well into reprint. Looking at Barney, it's 78 pages, which would just about make it work as a skinny Rebellion trade — but it almost certainly lacks pulling power on its own. (To date, the only reprint version is in Rebellion's Extreme Edition reprint comic, years back.) But as a spot in a partwork, it makes perfect sense.

Also, looking at Barney, the strip ran from #828–840. Although not quite surrounded by dross — it started when the reasonable Kano and fun Armoured Gideon Book 2 were running — it did help offset the stink of Purgatory and some seriously dodgy Dredd.

Speaking of, the one omission from that list I'd loved to have seen in there: Armoured Gideon. Ah well. Perhaps one day I'll make my own custom HC of that...

I remember a great blog piece about the similarities between it and Avatar. The art looked great, so really looking forward to reading it, and I love John Smith, so seeing some of his stuff being reprinted is exciting.

And I second the love for Armoured Gideon! Loved the art on that, and it was suitably weird.