Main Menu

Threadjacking!

Started by Proudhuff, 11 June, 2012, 02:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiplodocus

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 25 October, 2013, 04:11:06 PM
How many ears does Captain Kirk have?

3. A right ear, a left ear, and a final frontier.

four.  yOU FORGOT sCOTTY THE eNGIN-EAR.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Definitely Not Mister Pops

I served a cool buncha yankee nerds at work tonight. We fell into a conversation about comics and such (don't worry lads, I preached the word of Tharg, one of them even ordered the new Buttonman on my recommendation,) it eventually came around to Wonderwoman. Why haven't they made a Wonderwoman movie yet?

Well.

Wait till ye hear.

If you say "powerful female protagonist" and "Greco-Roman Mythology" to people from my generation, the first thing we'll probably think of is "Xena: Warrior Princess
You may quote me on that.

TordelBack

Blasted daughter, 6.00am on Saturday is the middle of the night.  The number of sleeps 'til Halloween is unaffected, despite your efforts.  And it'll be 5am tomorrow.

COMMANDO FORCES

World Cup starts today, England Vs Australia  :D

Charlie boy

Woke up not too long ago with a not-too-bad hangover which made me glad I didn't stay out too long last nite. Sat down at the computer thinking I'd look at a few things while getting around to waking up properly and one of the cats decided she'd like to sit on my shoulder like she sometimes does.
Said cat got the angle/distance of the jump completely wrong and ended up hanging off my back, claws stuck in one of my shoulders. As you can probably imagine, that really hurts.

Does anyone know how much Whedon spent on CGI and mo-cap when realizing The Hulk  in Avengers assemble?

All he really needed was The Rock, a wig and a tin of green paint.

The Doctor Alt 8

Quote from: TordelBack on 26 October, 2013, 06:59:27 AM
Blasted daughter, 6.00am on Saturday is the middle of the night.  The number of sleeps 'til Halloween is unaffected, despite your efforts.  And it'll be 5am tomorrow.

And THIS is why the Victorians had legal access to laudanum....( and lots of other drugs to)

Spikes

Not much in the way of wind, but plenty of rain.

Hawkmumbler

Apparently three people have died in accidents related to the storm. :-\

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 28 October, 2013, 05:01:00 PM

The BBC reporting of it is appalling.  Here's a quote from a news item today:

Quote...the biggest damage was to his model train set - derailed, like so many lives last night.

TordelBack

That's sort of brilliant.   :-[

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 28 October, 2013, 05:01:00 PM

While any accidental death is tragic, one would imagine that many people die in weather-related accidents every day (wet road, falling branch, hypothermia, heat exhaustion etc.), there just isn't an army of journos ringing A&E and the copshop every 30 seconds demanding fatality figures.

Hawkmumbler

Didn't want to specify the source as i don't tune or actually listen to the radio at work. Asking my boss it turns out to be XFM. So typical hyperbole. ::)

Professor Bear

Quote from: Mister Pops on 26 October, 2013, 04:02:56 AMIf you say "powerful female protagonist" and "Greco-Roman Mythology" to people from my generation, the first thing we'll probably think of is "Xena: Warrior Princess

The Greco-Roman mythology is an early addition to the WW mythos, but then so was copious amounts of bondage and S&M, but adaptations of the work from the tv series to the various cartoons have ditched all of that - Greco-Roman influence and kink - to successful effect because they aren't intrinsic to the character as she's essentially a swords-and-sorcery with sci-fi trappings character and that can and has been done many times over the years from Mighty Isis to the 1970s WW tv show to She-Ra to Sailor Moon to Xena to Buffy to Totally Spies to Kim Possible and so on.
The truth as to why we've never had a WW tv series or movie is much more straightforward and quite well-documented: the various corporate bodies that own her rights insist on a hands-on approach to any adaptations but can't agree on a direction and tone and so have been bickering amongst themselves for years, occasionally letting the character surface here and there (animated movies and unaired tv pilots) to stop their parent company licensing the rights elsewhere, as has been tried several times already.

Tiplodocus

Quote from: Mister Pops on 28 October, 2013, 09:44:43 PM
Scrolldowntoriker.com

That is all

Brilliant. I genuinely laughed out loud.

Tl; dr: lol
Be excellent to each other. And party on!