Main Menu

Threadjacking!

Started by Proudhuff, 11 June, 2012, 02:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goaty

Proudhuff

Stop me if you've heard this one, but I feel as though we've met before. Perhaps I am mistaken?
DDT did a job on me

The Legendary Shark

Heh, that's excellent, Goaty!
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

TordelBack

But it's just that I remind you of someone you used to care about.

Oh but that was long ago.

Tiplodocus

Which is why I never talk to strangers... anymore
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

The Legendary Shark

But I still love you - and I always will.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Tiplodocus

Be excellent to each other. And party on!

JayzusB.Christ

Stop me if you think
That you've heard this one before

Nothing's changed
I still love you, oh, I still love you
Only slightly, only slightly less
Than I used to, my love.

</Godpleton*>

*May his meme-ridden soul rest in peace
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

The Legendary Shark

Ah, I miss Roger. Right about now he'd be starting the annual Thin Ice Awards.
I don't know where you are, you perverted little Teddy bear, but I wish you were still here.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JayzusB.Christ

Personally I thought he was fairly entertaining for a few years, but near the end got more than a bit bored of his memes and song-lyrics; he finally tipped over the edge from semi-troll to fully-fledged one.  But I wish him all the best.

Anyway, I'm here today to talk about that most excellently named creature, the Daddy Longlegs.  I once as a child got admonished by my Mr-Logic-like friend for calling it that ('Tut.  It's a cranefly.')  but now I see it can refer to a few creatures, both arachnoid and insectoid. 

For me it's a long-legged insect with flimsy wings, but I know for some it's some kind of spider (which, although similar in appearance, is somehow much scarier for me). What is it to you?

There is a story that the daddy longlegs is the most poisonous insect (or spider) there is, but its fangs are too small to pierce human skin.  If it's the insect; I know that is a load of trollocks, because I once watched our cat eat one whole. If it's the spider, it's still a load of trollocks because I just checked it on Google.

I once read an article in the sadly missed Dublin magazine The Slate describing the strength of one particular type of crappy E as 'like a kick in the arse from a daddy longlegs'. 

That is all.  Further daddy-longlegs-related bulletins as daddy-longlegs-related events warrant.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

I, Cosh

What's your position on the Daddy vs Jenny Longlegs controversy?

[spoiler]The latter is used only by fops in dilettantes[/spoiler] in my view.
We never really die.

Dandontdare

never heard "Jenny" - but whatever they're called, I hate the little feckers - it's the way they sort of scuttle up a wall until they know you're looking, and then home straight in on your face. Brrrrrrr!

TordelBack

My wife breeds giant African land snails ('GALS', in the secret parlance of the mollusc molester) in our living room. Useful leverage considering my own foibles, or grounds for an anullment?

M.I.K.

My guess is that the flying Daddy Longlegs is the original and the wingless eight-legged beasties have gained the name 'cos of their similar looks, (although I've definitely heard Jenny Longlegs used for craneflies too).

The eight legged beasty that people mainly refer to as the Daddy Longlegs (also known as the Harvestman), is an arachnid, but isn't actually a spider, (there is a spider with the name as well, but it looks very spidery indeed - it's the only one with a venomous bite, but isn't dangerous to humans).

One night, several years ago I went downstairs to my kitchen and could hear a faint crunching noise coming from the direction of the table. I thought there might be a mouse somewhere, so I crept slowly up to where the noise was coming from, but instead found a Harvestman gnawing on a bit of cream cracker.

JayzusB.Christ

Never heard it called a Jenny Longlegs.  Sounds like some old-timey fourpenny strumpet.

I never want to find a Harvestman gnawing on anything.