Main Menu

Threadjacking!

Started by Proudhuff, 11 June, 2012, 02:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Gilmore Girls is great stuff. I'd be lying if I said my crush on Lauren Graham doesn't have a great deal to do with my enjoyment, but I like the 90s Magical Realism meets Americana/Wonderful Life vibe. It's also fun to see the premise change so rapidly over the first few episodes as it finds its feet. However, one terrible spectre looms over the whole first season: Lorelei's job. 

Lorelei, we are told, manages an 'Inn', which appears to be a sort small upmarket rural hotel and quirky events venue.  However, she is also free Friday evenings and Saturday mornings, and apparently Sundays too. She leaves for work at the same time as her daughter goes to school, having time for both of them to breakfast at a diner. She is usually free for an evening meal at the same diner, and to attend any of Stars Hollow's near-daily evening festivals. She spends the night at home or out with friends. From this I judge that her hotel management job does not involve the Friday evening rush or high weekend occupancy, morning check out, breakfast, evening meals and check in. This seems like a very odd Inn indeed.

Did I mention that Melissa McCarthy plays the head chef of this establishment, and she too appears to be regularly available for an evening meal or concert?

Frank

The first thing any successful manager does is appoint several staff members to do their job for less money: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Duty+Manager&defid=4089133

Never watched the Gilmore Girls, probably because I never caught a cold or twisted my ankle at the right time to catch a couple of episodes and get hooked.

Junk telly survives on the back of sick pay, unemployment benefit and shift work. I watched every episode of Veronica Mars just because it was on telly when I got in from work.

TordelBack

Quote from: Butch on 19 August, 2016, 07:30:38 AM
Junk telly survives on the back of sick pay, unemployment benefit and shift work.

No coincidence that I've just finished two months of 12-hour night shifts. When your friends and family are all asleep, their prettier wittier proxies get you through.

Theblazeuk

Well my wife has been binging the Gilmore Girls on her week off sick from work... soo..

And great observations about the ludicrousness of Lorelei's job. I forget she actually works 90% of the time as she is mostly around her rich parent's house, ferrying Rory around or sitting in a diner (where Luke is always, always working).

von Boom

Quote from: Tordelback on 19 August, 2016, 12:00:05 AM
Gilmore Girls is great stuff. I'd be lying if I said my crush on Lauren Graham doesn't have a great deal to do with my enjoyment, but I like the 90s Magical Realism meets Americana/Wonderful Life vibe. It's also fun to see the premise change so rapidly over the first few episodes as it finds its feet. However, one terrible spectre looms over the whole first season: Lorelei's job. 

Lorelei, we are told, manages an 'Inn', which appears to be a sort small upmarket rural hotel and quirky events venue.  However, she is also free Friday evenings and Saturday mornings, and apparently Sundays too. She leaves for work at the same time as her daughter goes to school, having time for both of them to breakfast at a diner. She is usually free for an evening meal at the same diner, and to attend any of Stars Hollow's near-daily evening festivals. She spends the night at home or out with friends. From this I judge that her hotel management job does not involve the Friday evening rush or high weekend occupancy, morning check out, breakfast, evening meals and check in. This seems like a very odd Inn indeed.

Did I mention that Melissa McCarthy plays the head chef of this establishment, and she too appears to be regularly available for an evening meal or concert?

I finally caved into my wife's pleas to watch Gilmore Girls. We watched the first episode last evening and damn now I'm hooked.

The worst bit is how smug my wife is about it.

Dandontdare

Quote from: von Boom on 19 August, 2016, 01:17:33 PM
I finally caved into my wife's pleas to watch Gilmore Girls. We watched the first episode last evening and damn now I'm hooked.

The worst bit is how smug my wife is about it.

See you did that all wrong - you should claim that it's just as awful as you predicted, and then binge-watch in secret.

How are we ever going to win the battle of the sexes if you keep admitting things just because they're true? Tsk  ::)

Hawkmumbler

Unpopular opinion: I never watch music videos, and frankly have a bit of distaste for them, finding them rather distracting and boring. I want to LISTEN to music, not watch a story that only bares a superficial relationship to the lyrics. If I want to watch something i'll put a film or a TV program on.

Proudhuff

I was on a bus the other day and for the entire hour long journey a bunch of teenage boys impersonated Pingu as if it was the funniest thing ever, and yet if I had killed them all I would have been the one in the wrong? Political correctness gone mad!!!

Yet more proof that the youth of today and public transport are not as good as they used to be.
DDT did a job on me

Satanist

I was on the web today and for an entire post a gangly auld bugger quoted me word for word, and yet if I had reported him to the mods I would have been the one in the wrong? Political correctness gone mad!!!

Yet more proof that the elderly of today and internet are not as good as they used to be.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Fungus

Tjm86

Is it just me or have multi-pack Twix been hit by a shrink ray?  Seriously, I never thought my hands had grown that much!

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Satanist on 22 August, 2016, 05:35:14 PM
I was on the web today and for an entire post a gangly auld bugger quoted me word for word, and yet if I had reported him to the mods I would have been the one in the wrong? Political correctness gone mad!!!

Yet more proof that the elderly of today and internet are not as good as they used to be.
I DID have a double take wondering where I had heard that post before...

M.I.K.

I thought I was having a deja vu episode.

Goaty

Fungus

Spotted:o

That Mark Millar, at the Theatre last night *
I tried explaining to Her Indoors exactly who he was, but the eyes glazed over and I found my own interest waning. It's a tough sell.

* Get me! I am not a theatre-goer - first time in years - and not a play I'd have picked. But thoroughly enjoyed it, got to admit.