Main Menu

Threadjacking!

Started by Proudhuff, 11 June, 2012, 02:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I, Cosh

For a Scotchman, entering any English chippy where they have an actual choice of different types of fish is like being transported to some mystical pleasure garden to be fed sweetmeats by nymphs.

Cod and chips twice please, mate. Just a pity they don't have sauce.

On the other hand, my mate's Mancunian wife couldn't get her head round the idea that she could buy cigarettes in a Scottish chippy, so it's swings and roundabouts.
We never really die.

Proudhuff

Trout you see the culture you're missing?
DDT did a job on me

Proudhuff

Why can't anythread stay on topic here?
DDT did a job on me

Satanist

Quote from: I, Cosh on 05 January, 2017, 01:21:51 PM
For a Scotchman, entering any English chippy where they have an actual choice of different types of fish is like being transported to some mystical pleasure garden to be fed sweetmeats by nymphs.

First time I was in a chippy in London I got a sausage supper and the exact words out my mouth were...

"What the fuck is this?"

They don't come covered in batter by default???
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Trout

SuperSurfer

Quote from: Dandontdare on 05 January, 2017, 01:16:25 PM
Quote from: SuperSurfer on 03 January, 2017, 04:39:17 PM
fish 'n' chips down south. .... calamari rings starter

This says everything you need to know about the North/South divide!  :lol:

reminds me of that (apocryphal) story of Tony Blair (sometimes Peter Mandelson) visiting a chippy in their NE constituency and asking for some of "that lovely looking guacamole" while pointing at the mushy peas

Bring back jellied eels. Having said that, I seem to recall the aforementioned establishment does sell jellied eels.

They also do a warm goat's cheese salad.

M.I.K.

My usual choice of meal when frequenting such establishments is a haggis supper, and thus English chippies are o' nae yis tae me.

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Frank

Quote from: I, Cosh on 05 January, 2017, 01:21:51 PM
my mate's Mancunian wife couldn't get her head round the idea that she could buy cigarettes in a Scottish chippy

They tried giving us blankets infected with TB, but the combination of fags and deep fried carbohydrates proved more effective.

The Legendary Shark

Today I (hopefully) smoked my very last cigarette - and I'm not even up before a firing squad.

Feeling pretty chilled about it so far - almost enjoying the sensation of being a quitter. Trying to convince myself that I'm not "giving up" anything because that implies a sacrifice, which quitting sucking poison into me really isn't.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Trout

Good luck! I'm a fellow quitter, for health reasons. It's a positive step!

The Legendary Shark

Thanks, Trout. Seems to be going okay so far; I haven't bitten anyone's head off yet, anyway.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Proudhuff

Good luck sharkie, surprised you've supported big business for so long  ;) :D
DDT did a job on me

The Legendary Shark

Thanks, Tom. It's going well so far. (I know I'm only on Day 2 but these first few days are the hardest, as a rule. This new (to me) method I've discovered seems to be a doozy. Believe it or not, I'm actually enjoying quitting, which I didn't think was possible.)
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

The Legendary Shark

Day 4 and still stopped. Feeling better already, almost no coughing now and able to take deep breaths without that tickly pain.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]