Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funt Solo

Hi all - just in case you're interested - I set up a thread to discuss the sub-topic, so (if you want to) we can move it off this thread: Accurate Representation of Ethnicity in Historical Fictions

:D

---

Fun With Dick & Jane - isn't. To be fair, I turned it off after about half an hour. It might have gotten really, really fun after that.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Radbacker

Dynasty Warriors on Netflix, yes based on the game where you hit the x button lots.  Actually quite enjoyed it, typical big brash Chinese (?) blockbuster, about as dumb and vacuous as your usual Hollywood tripe but what can I say I like tripe!!!  I love 3 Kingdoms era stories and this one serves it up very fantasy like.  More to. One too as only tells the first part of the epic tale.

CU Radbacker

CalHab

Quote from: Funt Solo on 04 July, 2021, 05:12:36 PM
Fun With Dick & Jane - isn't. To be fair, I turned it off after about half an hour. It might have gotten really, really fun after that.

Tea Leoni unfortunately made a career out of doing films which were a complete waste of her talents.

Barrington Boots

Quote from: Radbacker on 05 July, 2021, 04:48:56 AM
Dynasty Warriors on Netflix..

I didn't know this was out, awesome. It looks terrible but on the good side of terrible although I suspect only to those who know the Three Kingdoms story.
Radbacker, have you seen Red Cliff? It's a John Woo directed film of the Red Cliff battle (Wei vs Wu). I'm not sure how it resonates for an audience unfamilair with the sory and characters and it's about four hours long but if you know the story well worth sitting through.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Dandontdare

I'm guessing you mean the 2005 remake. The 1977 original with George Segal and Jane Fonda is a classic

Link Prime

Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 01 July, 2021, 09:07:37 PM
When Eight Bells Toll.

Never heard of this, but will keep an eye out for it.

A combo of a killer hangover and crap weather had me planted on the couch yesterday.
There was only one thing for it - Coca Cola & TEE-VEE:

I Trapped The Devil - I'm normally a sucker for these conceptual horror's and was happy to stumble across this. A strong start and even paced build-up led to a flabby and confusing middle act which drained any goodwill or enthusiasm. There just wasn't enough substance to justify a full movie run time. Did that guy really have The Devil trapped in his basement? Whatever you expect the answer to be, you'll be underwhelmed by what was presented.

Broil - Incredibly uneven, some poor acting, needlessly confusing, dreadful sound mixing - and yet I kinda liked it. The elevator pitch; an autistic 25 year old assassin (who happens to be a renowned chef) is hired by Dracula's daughter to prepare a meal and poison her Da (a magnetic Timothy V. Murphy) during the annual family get together. One grotesque twist in particular caught me by surprise, and nudged this up slightly out of the 6/10 mire.

Fear St Part 1: 1994 - Ahhha...no. I was somehow tricked into giving 20 minutes of my life to this before moderately sobering up.

The Neighbour - A leisurely paced drama about a not very sympathetic middle / old aged man becoming obsessed with the better half of a 30 something year old newlywed couple that move in next door. It had its moments though, and I really liked William Fichtner's understated and measured performance. Worth a look.

Funt Solo

Quote from: Dandontdare on 05 July, 2021, 10:14:50 AM

I'm guessing you mean the 2005 remake. The 1977 original with George Segal and Jane Fonda is a classic

Oh - I did not know it was a remake! Yes, I mean the 2005 lazy-Carrey vehicle. Thanks for the tip - I'll check out the OG.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Tjm86

Quote from: Funt Solo on 05 July, 2021, 03:44:21 PM
Oh - I did not know it was a remake!

I find with Hollywood these days it's easier to assume it's a remake first, saves time in the long run ... plus tends to be fairly accurate ...

von Boom

The Tomorrow War. If you're tired enough not to think about what is happening or how it unfolds it's okayish. It helps if you nod off for 10 or 15 minutes here and there. You won't miss anything and sleep fuzz helps you from rolling your eyes too hard. If you've had your requisite eight hours then pass on this one.

Dandontdare

Quote from: Tjm86 on 05 July, 2021, 04:48:06 PM
Quote from: Funt Solo on 05 July, 2021, 03:44:21 PM
Oh - I did not know it was a remake!

I find with Hollywood these days it's easier to assume it's a remake first, saves time in the long run ... plus tends to be fairly accurate ...
So many times I've seen a favourite movie in the schedules, only to be disappointed when it turns out to be the new one not the good one.

pictsy

The Boy Who Cried Werewolf

This is a Nickelodeon TV Movie.  With that in consideration it is better than one might expect.  It's still not very good, however.  The weird thing is that it has a decent amount of good ideas.  It just doesn't do anything with them.  Because it's a Nickelodeon TV Movie.  That's the real shame of this film.

The story isn't very interesting.  Dead Mum, Dad finding it hard to cope, Daughter taking on responsibilities and Son acting out.  Obscure relative dies, they inherit a castle and have a lame battle with vampires.  The end.

The werewolf costumes were pretty decent.

broodblik

Quote from: von Boom on 05 July, 2021, 06:33:27 PM
The Tomorrow War. If you're tired enough not to think about what is happening or how it unfolds it's okayish. It helps if you nod off for 10 or 15 minutes here and there. You won't miss anything and sleep fuzz helps you from rolling your eyes too hard. If you've had your requisite eight hours then pass on this one.

Well for me this is one of those movies where you do not want to over think anything just sit back enjoy the over-the-top mindless action will you park your brain in neutral (just for breathing purposes) and wholla two hours gone. Yes, I enjoyed this it was fun
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

The Enigmatic Dr X

FASTER

Billy Bob Thornton plays a junkie cop hunting down Dwayne Johnson's revenge-crazed killer, while The Rock also avoids a prissy billionaire assassin.

This was a whole lot better than it ought to have been. Then again, it did have Billy Bob in it.

This passed me by when it came out - 10 or 11 years ago - and I watched it on Netflix on a whim. It was really quite noir fun.
Lock up your spoons!

Radbacker

QuoteRadbacker, have you seen Red Cliff? It's a John Woo directed film of the Red Cliff battle (Wei vs Wu). I'm not sure how it resonates for an audience unfamilair with the sory and characters and it's about four hours long but if you know the story well worth sitting through.
Funny you should mention Red Cliff as I was going to bring it up in my original post but edited it out.  One of my favourite 3 Kingdoms movies absolutely epic but as you mentioned very long and much better if you are familiar with the 3 Kingdoms.  Wasn't Woo going to make more 3K movies?

CU Radbacker

Barrington Boots

Quote from: Radbacker on 06 July, 2021, 03:52:13 AM
Funny you should mention Red Cliff as I was going to bring it up in my original post but edited it out.  One of my favourite 3 Kingdoms movies absolutely epic but as you mentioned very long and much better if you are familiar with the 3 Kingdoms.  Wasn't Woo going to make more 3K movies?

I'm sure he said he was, but it doesn't look like he has, sadly. I know the film was raved about but I think also he got some mild stick for changing some of the story (replacing Gan Ning with 'Gan Xing' so he could kill him off and stuff)
I love Red Cliff but I really can't imagine watching it without knowing the story and characters beforehand.
You're a dark horse, Boots.