Main Menu

Dan Dare collected, and new Bad Company

Started by sheridan, 07 March, 2015, 01:43:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

From the Free Comic Book Day website:

QuoteFree Comic Book Day: Looking to the future of the book, is there anything you can tease about what's upcoming?

Keith Richardson: As well as many fantastic trade collections, including Dark Justice (where Judge Dredd battles his arch nemesis Judge Death) and Dan Dare – The 2000 AD Years Volume 01,  2000 AD is welcoming the return of Peter Milligan who is working on a brand new Bad Company story with Tank Girl artist, Rufus Dayglo.

IndigoPrime

Hmm. I wasn't a big fan of the last Bad Company thing, but Milligan/Dayglo? Yeah, I'm looking forward to that nonetheless.

Colin YNWA

Yeah colour me excited about more Bad Company. Of course slightly sad now that it will be without Brett Ewins but as a reader I'm sure I'll get past that.

Been excited about the Dan Dare stuff, particularly as Keith (I think it was) confirmed the colour spreads will be retained.

Greg M.

Very mixed feelings about the idea of new Bad Company. The 2002 series was poor (and worse than redundant - it actively undermines what came before.) Plus, the idea of Bad Company without Brett is a strange one. But if there's one person who could take on the job, it's definitely Rufus - I can't think of anyone better to do it justice.

Art

If there's anyone who could capture the spirit of it, it's Rufus.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Greg M. on 07 March, 2015, 03:20:42 PM
But if there's one person who could take on the job, it's definitely Rufus - I can't think of anyone better to do it justice.

ISTR Rufus had planned to involve Brett as much he felt able to contribute, even if it was just a few designs, but sadly not now to be... :-(

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Hawkmumbler

From what i've seen of Rufus online he's feeling this loss so much more than we can imagine, seeing as Brett must have been a huge role model in Rufus's early career. I think he's the perfect man for the job and suits the role as well as anyone else.

But it's buggered up The Complete Bad Company now!

Link Prime

Very mixed feelings about the idea of new Bad Company. The 2002 series was poor (and worse than redundant - it actively undermines what came before.) Plus, the idea of Bad Company without Brett is a strange one. But if there's one person who could take on the job, it's definitely Rufus - I can't think of anyone better to do it justice.

100% agree with you here Greg.

It will be interesting to see how this works out.

Jim_Campbell

Very mixed feelings about the idea of new Bad Company. The 2002 series was poor (and worse than redundant - it actively undermines what came before.)

As I understand it, Milligan agreed to write it because Brett needed the work but it ended up coming off very much second best in a scheduling clash with re-writing a major Hollywood screenplay...

Both Peter and Rufus have spoken of it in terms of making it a tribute to Brett, so I'm hopeful everyone concerned will be giving it their best.

Cheers

Jim

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 09 March, 2015, 03:05:47 PM
Both Peter and Rufus have spoken of it in terms of making it a tribute to Brett, so I'm hopeful everyone concerned will be giving it their best.

That sentence should read "Both Peter and Rufus have spoken of it in terms of making the new story a tribute to Brett..." but it's too late to edit. Sorry for the lack of clarity.

Cheers

Jim

Colin YNWA

A couple of threads about this now, but in case they don't get merged here's a link to a Bleeding Cool article about this.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/03/09/peter-milligan-pays-tribute-to-brett-ewins-in-his-return-to-2000ad-with-bad-company/

Greg M.

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 09 March, 2015, 03:05:47 PM
As I understand it, Milligan agreed to write it because Brett needed the work but it ended up coming off very much second best in a scheduling clash with re-writing a major Hollywood screenplay...

Hadn't realised Milligan was having scheduling issues at the time - I'd just assumed he didn't have much to say about Bad Company any more, and hence it all came out a bit flat. That said, even if the results were so-so, it was certainly written for the best possible reasons, and I'm sure both he and Rufus will undoubtedly be giving this new one their all. I can definitely get behind it as a tribute to Brett.

Judge Nutmeg

I guess it's gonna be a prequel with the whole crew together or something , good to see Dayglo back in 2000ad, underrated artist.

Jacqusie

Whilst looking at some of Bretts stuff online, I came across some prelims for the Bad Company prequel thing by himself and Rufus, on here:

http://www.forbiddenplanet.co.uk/blog/2012/in-good-company

I gushed at the time seeing them and am now VERY happy to hear that the series is now a reality!

:thumbsup:

TordelBack

Man that looks fabulous. Sad all over again now.