General Chat > Music

Albums of the Year 2020

(1/8) > >>

Barrington Boots:
Despite almost everything else being awful 2020 has been a good year for music for me - one of the benefits of 8 months working at home is that I've had time to explore new releases and really get into a lot of new music whereas in previous years I've got a bit jaded and struggled to get into more than a couple of records.

I think my 2020 top ten in terms of pure enjoyment (in no order) would be:

Magic Sword - Endless
Temple of Void - The World That Was (topical title on this one!)
Wayfarer - A Romance with Violence
Eternal Champion - Ravening Iron
Just Before Dawn - An Army at Dawn
Black Royal - Firebride
Lord Vigo - Danse De Noir
Paradise Lost - Obsidian
Villagers of Ionna City - Age of Acquarius
The Wizar'd - Subterranean Exile

I've also enjoyed the new stuff by Ulver, Moscow Death Brigade, We are Magonia, Bergeton, Graceless, Ectoplague, Elay Arson..

With music being highly subjective and emotive I don't expect anyones choices to align with mine, but I'm interested to hear what fellow Squaxx's favourite records of 2020 were and I'll totally listen to them if I can.

Greg M.:
Kull - Exile
Ulver - Flowers of Evil
Cirith Ungol - Forever Black

Funt Solo:
I don't get drawn much to albums these days and instead tend to surf the Youtube algorithms of my cache. Sometimes I wonder if the visual interest is outweighing the aural. So, erm, this is my playlist of no year whatsoever. But it's my 2020.

- Childish Gambino - This Is America
 - Twenty One Pilots - Ride
 - Arctic Monkeys - I Bet You Look Good on the Dancefloor
 - Empire of the Sun - We Are The People
 - Public Enemy - State of the Union (STFU)
 - Lorde - Royals
 - Goyte - Somebody That I Used to Know
 - Charles Bradley covers Changes
 - Chris Rodriguez & the Spoon Lady: Angels in Heaven
 - Steve 'n' Seagulls cover Thunderstruck

Well, some of those are from 2020. Also, if you need to lead your clan to battle you could do worse than hire these fellas to keep the morale up: Clanadonia

Barrington Boots:

--- Quote from: Greg M. on 19 November, 2020, 08:26:58 PM ---Kull - Exile
Ulver - Flowers of Evil
Cirith Ungol - Forever Black

--- End quote ---

That Ulver album is sublime and builds on ..Julius Ceaser which is the first time for a while I can remember where they haven't totally changed sound. Would have been in my top 10 but for it being a very sad listen, menaing I haven't played it so much in this dark year.
I'm listening to the Cirith Ungol now. Lovely 80s style production on it.

Lorenzo:

--- Quote from: Barrington Boots on 19 November, 2020, 11:44:12 AM ---Despite almost everything else being awful 2020 has been a good year for music for me - one of the benefits of 8 months working at home is that I've had time to explore new releases and really get into a lot of new music whereas in previous years I've got a bit jaded and struggled to get into more than a couple of records.

I think my 2020 top ten in terms of pure enjoyment (in no order) would be:

Magic Sword - Endless
Temple of Void - The World That Was (topical title on this one!)
Wayfarer - A Romance with Violence
Eternal Champion - Ravening Iron
Just Before Dawn - An Army at Dawn
Black Royal - Firebride
Lord Vigo - Danse De Noir
Paradise Lost - Obsidian
Villagers of Ionna City - Age of Acquarius
The Wizar'd - Subterranean Exile

I've also enjoyed the new stuff by Ulver, Moscow Death Brigade, We are Magonia, Bergeton, Graceless, Ectoplague, Elay Arson..

With music being highly subjective and emotive I don't expect anyones choices to align with mine, but I'm interested to hear what fellow Squaxx's favourite records of 2020 were and I'll totally listen to them if I can.

--- End quote ---
God, this post makes me feel old - or you live in an alternate (death metal?) universe - I've never even heard of any of these groups, let alone listened to them  :lol:
I'm still very much one of those people that buys physical copies of music - you know, those shiny silver things - and I actually buy quite a lot.

Still, the best I can come up with for this year off the top of my head is:

Bombay Bicycle Club - Everything Else Has Gone Wrong
I Break Horses - Warnings
Tame Impala - The Slow Rush
Bibio - Sleep on the Wing

I have a strong suspicion this isn't your kind of thing... !!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version