Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The Great Dante Readthrough Podcast  (Read 11237 times)

Dark Jimbo

• Bionic Fingers
  • Grobbendonk spoke gibberish, a fringeworld dialect
    • View Profile
    • DarkJimbo on Deviantart
Re: The Great Dante Reathrough Podcast
« Reply #45 on: 04 March, 2021, 05:03:29 PM »
Isn't Dante meant to be a bit of a bellend early on? I think Robbie M had always planned quite the emotional journey for him.

Funt Solo

• Bionic Fingers
  • Research Monkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 04 March, 2021, 07:22:31 PM »
The other Simon got in on the action with a brace of Rasputin-U-Like covers supporting the launch in progs 1035 and 1039:

And Trevor Hairsine supports The Romanov Dynasty in prog 1044:

++ map ++ thrills ++ coma ++

JayzusB.Christ

• Bionic Fingers
  • Squealing meat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 04 March, 2021, 08:10:19 PM »
Isn't Dante meant to be a bit of a bellend early on? I think Robbie M had always planned quite the emotional journey for him.

I get the impression he was meant to be a bit of a bellend, but in a loveable rogue kind of way - I didn't see the loveable bit at all despite the Tharg of the time telling us he was.  (No offence, BishOP!)
“Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest”

Mister Pops

• Battle Hardened War Robot
  • You're Goddamn right!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 04 March, 2021, 08:37:44 PM »
I've always loved that cover for Prog 1039. Great depiction of the Bio-blades, plus the slightly Zappa-esque appearance seems to be the right level of lovable yet arrogant dickhead.
You may quote me on that.

Funt Solo

• Bionic Fingers
  • Research Monkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 04 March, 2021, 09:45:36 PM »
I've always loved that cover for Prog 1039. Great depiction of the Bio-blades, plus the slightly Zappa-esque appearance seems to be the right level of lovable yet arrogant dickhead.

I've only just been turned on to Zappa (as a political voice) - and his interviews are something else. File under "does not suffer fools gladly".

---------

As for Dante, I always thought he was supposed to be incorrigible, where his joie de vivre carried him through. A little along the lines of David Tennant in Casanova (2005). He wasn't heroic, but he was better than the utter bastards above him. (And, as has been pointed out, he develops heroic traits.)
++ map ++ thrills ++ coma ++

Barrington Boots

• Prog Stacking Droid
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 05 March, 2021, 10:38:34 AM »
Dante wouldn't really work if he wasn't a bellend.

Back to the podcasts, now I know about it I can't stop seeing those champagne bottles.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Illyana

• Sub Basement Sewer Unit
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 05 March, 2021, 07:50:41 PM »
I can finally reply! Hi all, this is Edie, Simon's wife and co-host.

I just wanted to say I've been loving reading all your comments and seeing the scans of the old covers too!

I'm working on adding scans of the pages we talk about in detail to the blog for those who want just a bit of a refresher on what we're talking about rather than reading along.

If you have the time, please rate us at 5 stars on Apple Podcasts and leave a review. It'll help other people find our podcasts as Apple appears to be the Tsar of podcasting. https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-great-dante-readthrough/id1556077417

broodblik

• Battle Hardened War Robot
  • watkykjy?
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 06 March, 2021, 03:16:19 AM »
Here is also a great interview with both Simon and Edie related to the podcast:

https://www.comicon.com/2021/03/05/interview-simon-fraser-and-edie-nugent-on-the-great-dante-readthrough-podcast/
Old age is the Lord’s way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death’s in case we didn’t take the hint.

The pen is mightier than the sword if the sword is very short, and the pen is very sharp.

JayzusB.Christ

• Bionic Fingers
  • Squealing meat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 06 March, 2021, 10:18:40 AM »
I can finally reply! Hi all, this is Edie, Simon's wife and co-host.

I just wanted to say I've been loving reading all your comments and seeing the scans of the old covers too!

I'm working on adding scans of the pages we talk about in detail to the blog for those who want just a bit of a refresher on what we're talking about rather than reading along.

If you have the time, please rate us at 5 stars on Apple Podcasts and leave a review. It'll help other people find our podcasts as Apple appears to be the Tsar of podcasting. https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-great-dante-readthrough/id1556077417

Hi Edie! Welcome on board, and thanks for the podcast.  The dynamic between you and Simon is just great; and it's been amazing to go back over Dante with you and see things I missed.
“Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest”

jrdd

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 07 March, 2021, 12:19:56 PM »
Thanks for putting this podcast together!  I’ve been meaning to re-read Dante for some time, so this is the perfect excuse to get started.  Looking at one or two stories per podcast seems about right, allowing time to really absorb events as well as the art and layout choices.

It’s reminded me what a great introduction to the character and his world the first two stories were, and how it started a pattern of impatient waits until his return to the prog.  I remember this really did feel like the start of a special and very different series.

Looking forward to following your podcast.

judgeurko

• Page Numbering Droid
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 09 March, 2021, 10:49:00 PM »
whats the RSS Feed for this?

Illyana

• View Profile

judgeurko

• Page Numbering Droid
    • View Profile

Bad Andy

• Posting Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 10 March, 2021, 03:56:15 PM »
This is a lot more forensic than I thought it would be, which is great, but I'm not sure I can slow down my readthrough to the pace of the podcast :D

Thanks for doing this - it's great.

Illyana

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 10 March, 2021, 04:34:55 PM »
Episode 4 is up!

https://simon-fraser-asa6.squarespace.com/tgdrpodcast

I've added some art to each of the blog posts on Simon's website so you can follow along some as we talk.