Main Menu

The Great Dante Readthrough Podcast

Started by Simon Fraser, 26 February, 2021, 06:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

Ah, I'd never cancel Dante. The early days of it were a bit like Preacher for me - the main character is a bellend but the story is great fun. (The difference being that Garth Ennis seemed to think Jesse was an absolute paragon of virtue rather than a mouthy, smartarsed twat.)
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Colin YNWA

Caught up with 5 and its great. I've always been interested with the idea of something so 'owned' by Simon (if that's the right phrase?) but with so many artists contributing to its formative years. So hearing that Simon was asked to design The Huntsman is cool.

I do wonder how he feels going back and using designs by others in a strip that's his, so his insights into Henry's work are great to hear.

This podcast remains a delight.

Illyana

Thanks so much for listening so far. It's Wednesday so it's time for the next episode! We love reading your comments and discussions, it's our own little comic book club.

Episode 7: The Great Game Part 1

http://simonfraser.net/tgdrpodcast/2021/3/31/m6djsvvmcunxtakharji46tg9al4ln

We've made it to the great game folks!

sheridan

Quote from: Barrington Boots on 04 March, 2021, 12:31:28 PM
Enjoying this so much. Doing a re-read and it's great picking up little details that I'd missed and where some of the influences have come from. More than anything else, it's a really fun and interesting listen.

Dante rules. A friend of mine picked up the first Hachette collection and was so disgusted with Dante as a hero he sent the book back to Hachette with a stern note. I still, to this day, cannot account for this act of absolute madness.

There's some quote that I can't find at the moment, but it's something along the lines of any creation that hasn't caused somebody to be upset at it probably didn't have much point in the first place...

The Monarch

Ah the great game the first Dante story where I was like "yup i'm in this for the long haul"

sheridan

Quote from: Illyana on 17 March, 2021, 03:05:56 PM
This Irish American would NEVER call it "Patty's" day. For SHAME! My people hail from County Cork, near Skibbereen  Thanks for listening, I hope you enjoy.

Cool - different bits of my family come from different regions, but one of those within living memory is from Cork (the other major one is from Tipperary). 

sheridan

p.s. after having it in a tab for a few weeks I finally got around to listening to it while having the comics in front of me - fantastic stuff and wonderful to hear such a supportive marriage!

The talk about omnisexuality made me think Captain Jack Harkness...

Funt Solo

Quote from: sheridan on 31 March, 2021, 06:21:07 PM
There's some quote that I can't find at the moment, but it's something along the lines of any creation that hasn't caused somebody to be upset at it probably didn't have much point in the first place...

Interestingly, "T.B. Grover" makes this exact point in the JD Annual (1983), to a perpetually nervous Burt:

QuoteReaders criticise because they care. It gives me a sort of warm glow in my Function Box to know that someone cares enough about my work to take exception to it.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Colin YNWA

Quote from: The Monarch on 31 March, 2021, 06:22:31 PM
Ah the great game the first Dante story where I was like "yup i'm in this for the long haul"

Yeah much as I love the early stuff, this however is the point when everything just clicks. You get that Dante is a dick, but he's a dick whose going to learn and it becomes clear you are going to see what he goes through to learn and grow and it ain't going to be easy.

This story is one of my all time favourites. I recently bought a page from this story from the fantastic Wake Carter which shows Simon at his best. His design of Valentin when he goes all bioware is just wonderful. A glorious demonic carnival barker, a twisted ringmaster - just wonderful stuff. I'm chuffed you are taking the time to go through it with the attention it deserves and the thoughts and insights from both perspectives are fantastic to hear.

Illyana

Hey y'all. Looking for some feedback on a sound issue I'm hearing but Simon isn't. If you listen to this podcast on your phone, using headphones, do you (like me) turn down the volume on the opening so it's not too loud? Then, when Simon comes on shortly after to read you the prog numbers & we start chatting, you find you have to turn the volume all the way back up to hear us comfortably?

Let me know. Thanks!

sheridan

Quote from: Illyana on 06 April, 2021, 10:27:36 PM
Hey y'all. Looking for some feedback on a sound issue I'm hearing but Simon isn't. If you listen to this podcast on your phone, using headphones, do you (like me) turn down the volume on the opening so it's not too loud? Then, when Simon comes on shortly after to read you the prog numbers & we start chatting, you find you have to turn the volume all the way back up to hear us comfortably?

Let me know. Thanks!

I'm listening on computer speakers and find the intro with music much too loud (so have to turn the volume down), the spoken intro just right and then the actual content itself too quiet (though is audible when I turn up the volume - but then I have to remember to turn the volume down again when I watch or listen to anything else afterwards).

Really appreciate the work you're both putting in!

Barrington Boots

I second that: the volume on the opening music is cat-terrifyingly loud so I normally turn it down for that (as my cat flees in terror) and then up again when the discussion begins as it's a little quiet.

It's not really detrimental to the Podcast though imo.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Funt Solo

Thirded: opening sound intro is teeth-gratingly LOUD AS F*CK then everything's okay after that. I just assumed the podcast wanted to slap us around a bit aurally because it was totally METAL, before letting us relax with your collectively dulcet tones.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

JayzusB.Christ

I will say that the music, loud as it is, would be perfect for a Dante movie.  Thanks for doing these, Edie and Simon, they're really enjoyable and I'm noticing things I never did before - the willy-shaped stage being one example, and the character based on Stephen Fry.  Great stuff!
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: sheridan on 06 April, 2021, 11:03:59 PM
I... find the intro with music much too loud (so have to turn the volume down), the spoken intro just right and then the actual content itself too quiet (though is audible when I turn up the volume)

Me too.
@jamesfeistdraws