Main Menu

Life Spugs because...

Started by Dog Deever, 04 March, 2009, 08:00:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

House of Usher

I don't know where Welsh visitors get off telling Irish people they can't read books in their own pubs! I've never been to Ireland, but I'd always imagined it as one country where you might see people reading in city pubs. But, between not always having a book on the go, and spending hardly any time in pubs, reading in a pub isn't something I'd expect to see myself doing.
STRIKE !!!

Peter Wolf

Quote from: TordelBack on 13 March, 2010, 02:04:45 PM
Quote from: House of Usher on 13 March, 2010, 01:55:49 PM
Oh Tordelback, I really wished you hadn't egged him on! After all, Peterwolf said it best himself here:

Quote from: Peter Wolf on 12 March, 2010, 10:14:41 PM
This is just one example and i have indepth knowledge of the subject but this isnt the place to expand upon it.

Yes, sorry Usher and Peter, and all innocent passers-by, I do try to start the stupidest arguments while drunk - even more than when I'm sober.  Be glad you missed the heated debate I had earlier with some Welsh rugby fans over the etiquette of reading books in a pub...  

Let the scheduled spuggery resume!

You dont need to apologise as i chose to reply and didnt i start it anyway ?

Anyway i am tired of hearing all this malthusian/eugenics talk that i keep hearing about lately and the controversy of which there is a lot is when Bill Gates talks openly about population reduction through vaccinations as he did very recently.

Anyway enough.

What is wrong with reading a book in a pub ?
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

House of Usher

I just did a bit of a Google search about Bill Gates and depopulation, but I couldn't find a reputable news source on the first couple of pages of hits, just a lot of conspiracy theory nutjob sites, so I added 'youtube' into my search terms to see if I could find what their analysis is based on. On youtube most of the clips of Bill Gates's speeches are posted up and annotated by right-wing conspiracy nutjobs and rednecks talking about the Illuminati, planned genocide and how man-made climate change is a myth. There's an awful lot about how medicine is bad for you, especially vaccination, and that Bill Gates is just fronting a big, covert extermination machine.

It is well known that Bill Gates likes to spend his money on vaccinating children and adults against communicable and potentially fatal illnesses. His vision for a reduction in the world's population includes everyone living longer and healthier and having fewer children, through the combined interventions of vaccination, contraceptive technology and improved healthcare. This somehow gets translated by his critics into "vaccines that are actually a form of lethal injection."

I seriously doubt it is worth anybody's time and energy getting worked up into a frenzy about how Bill Gates is trying to kill us all so there's more of the world free for him to enjoy by himself.
STRIKE !!!

Peter Wolf

Yes alright then .

You are right and i am wrong.

Not much point discussing the subject with you then is there going by your glib dismissive response.However its hardly my fault that the mainstream media which you are referring to by "reputable news sources" wont comment or report on the subject instead of what you describe as "conspiracy theory nutjob sites".I also like your dismissive response that describes commentary by "right wing conspiracy nutjobs and rednecks" so therefore by default i must fall into that category as well.

Thanks very much for that.

Dont ever bother discussing or debating subjects with me again ever.Just so you know as i wouldnt want you to waste your own time or mine.Also dont ever talk about others "egging me on" either because it doesnt work like that as i could have just as easily not posted any comments at all but in this instance i chose to.I could just as easily have ignored you.

See you later.

BTW this comment doesnt require a response from you.

Mike Gloady

Life spugs because (get the impression I'm pretending something didn't just happen?  That I'm trying to gloss over things and drag us back on topic?  Very astute) having INVENTED the ubersausage (ok, maybe someone else has had the idea before, but I've never heard of it) I now realise I can never indulge in it.  It is too meaty, large and intrusive for my belly parts. 
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

TordelBack

Mike, that's a whole gallery of images I can't begin to deal with.

Quote from: Mike Gloady on 13 March, 2010, 02:06:40 PM
TordelBack: Just what IS the ettiquette of reading books in pubs, then?  It's something I'm reasonably fond of when the opportunity presents itself so I'd like to know.

I used to do it all the time, back when I was a lot more of a drinker, and I wouldn't have been the only one.  One of life's great pleasures, a quiet pub, a pint, S&V crisps, and a good book or crossword. Better yet if there's a beer garden involved.  On this particular occasion, I was waiting for a friend, was there with the explicit brief of drinking a lot and talking about important stuff, and I really wasn't in the humour for joshing about rugby or giving directions to the best kebab place, so out came the book.  Apparently this was the opposite of the 'leave me alone' signal I had hoped for.   

Peter Wolf

Its quite ironic how the welsh rugby players consider it to be rude to read a book in a pub instead of talking to them yet they obviously dont realise how rude it is to bother someone they dont know in a pub who is wanting to be left alone or is waiting for someone else. ::)

If i am waiting in a pub for someone or i have just gone there for a drink and a bite to eat i would always buy an Evening Standard to read in the pub as i always feel a bit weird just sitting there nursing a pint because you dont look so weird sitting there on your own if you are reading.

Mike Gloady

Rugby players at university were mostly hard drinkers with no personality.  I found their company very dull.  I found living in the same building as them even worse. 

Although I did used to date a member of the medics women's rugby team who was neither rude nor dull.  She didnt drink much, so maybe THAT'S the unifying factor. 
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

Peter Wolf

I always found sporty types to be deviod of personality apart from being loud and boorish especially Rugger-Buggers.

Not my scene man.

Last time i was in Bath the pubs were always full of university rugby player types.

Gavin_Leahy_Block

Quote from: TordelBack on 13 March, 2010, 10:05:08 PM
One of life's great pleasures, a quiet pub, a pint, S&V crisps, and a good book or crossword.

I'm in total agreement with Mr. Back, except cheese & onion crisps for me. I do love sitting in a quite corner of a nice pub with a great book. I did get some odd looks when I was doing the same thing in Australia.  

wild-seven

QuoteI'm in total agreement with Mr. Back, except cheese & onion crisps for me. I do love sitting in a quite corner of a nice pub with a great book. I did get some odd looks when I was doing the same thing in Australia. 

I imagine pubs in Australia to be a bit like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_f_p0CgPeyA
I was going to procrastinate but I think I'll leave it till tomorrow

Mikey

Ah, reading in pubs! It's been a long while...

One of my favourite memories is of sitting in The Skeff one afternoon on Eyre Square in Galway, 4 issues of LOEG volume one to read, (having just bought ish 3 & 4 in the comic shop down the street), Mrs Mikey reading Maus, nice pints, empty pub - fuckin aces!

But what the jeebus were you doing TB? On a match day?!

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

TordelBack

Mikey, I don't follow the 'fantastical field sports', as Archbishop Croke wisely put it, and particularly not the hateful ones I was forced to play as a nipper, so wasn't aware of the game's imminence.  Also, this was the day before, and I had purposefully selected a pub without TV or music.  

I should point out that the Welsh lads were perfectly good fun, I just wasn't really in the mood for explaining myself to a dozen drunken furriners.  Not more than the three times I tried it, anyhow.

Peter Wolf

Quote from: House of Usher on 13 March, 2010, 03:12:08 PM

I seriously doubt it is worth anybody's time and energy getting worked up into a frenzy about how Bill Gates is trying to kill us all so there's more of the world free for him to enjoy by himself.

I feel like i over-reacted to your comment but i cant delete my comment unfortunately.

My apologies to you.

However i still stand by what i said about the subject previously.

TordelBack

Quote from: Peter Wolf on 15 March, 2010, 05:53:00 PM
I feel like i over-reacted to your comment but i cant delete my comment unfortunately.

My apologies to you.

See House of Usher,the benefits of your new status!  If I'm not being presumptuous saying that, obviously sir, I wouldn't want to offend a gentleman like yourself, not in any way sir, I mean to say if I have caused you any trouble I'm most heartily sorry...