Main Menu

Semi Finals: 2 - Ian Edginton or Dan Abnett - Ultimate not Wagner Tourney

Started by Colin YNWA, 21 June, 2020, 07:21:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Greg M. on 21 June, 2020, 11:39:12 AM
Y'know, I thought this one might be more contentious, but it's not looking that way at present...

Yeah I thought both of these semis would be very, very close, but judging by the way this one is going so far that might not be the case. If and its still a significent if Dabnett carries this one off by a margin like this maybe, maybe, the final could be very interesting indeed? Lets see.

oh and THANKS MODS.

Daveycandlish

Y'know, I thought this one might be more contentious, but it's not looking that way at present...

Looks like it's just me being contrary again...
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

Greg M.

Quote from: Daveycandlish on 21 June, 2020, 12:38:58 PM

Looks like it's just me being contrary again...

But this time you were the first voter, so either everyone else is being contrary, or you were somehow preemptively contrary!

JayzusB.Christ

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Rogue Judge

oshii

Now this is a tough one.   Between them, these two have penned some if not most of my favourite thrills of the last few years.

I'm going with Edgin..no, Ab...no...aarrggh, I don't know!   

Edginton, I think, only on goal difference.

Funt Solo

Wow! Both such good writers. Dan impresses most with Insurrection, Lawless, Badlands & Brink. I appreciate the creativity of other series, but something like Sinister Dexter has been milked too long. In particular, the characterization in both Lawless and Brink are superlative.

Edginton's work is out of another time: The Red Seas - Underworld was like being transported back to a Ray Harryhausen movie. The pedigree of Scarlet Traces is obvious, but there's a modern sensibility to scenes in which Venutians on Earth are treated like third-class immigrants. The vibrant, fantastical imagineering of Brass Sun, Helium and Leviathan take us to other worlds we would never have otherwise witnessed.

Ian Edginton, then, for the magic.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

AlexF

There's a case that the best bits of the best Edginton strips are better than anything Abnett has written - but there's something so relentless about Abnett's presence in the Prog AND Meg that can't be pushed aside.

I've voted for and against both on the way to this semi-final, but I'm feeling good about giving my vote to
DAN ABNETT,
and it's pretty specifically for his 20+ years writing Sinister Dexter, a sustained piece of work that is rooted in humour but delivered plenty of thrills and ideas, too. That golden period from Oh Kal Cutter up to the War of the Moses was quite something. Even pop stars are naming themselves after their favourite Sinister Dexter era,
Post Malone.

ZenArcade

Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Andy B

Although I like the more fantastical elements of Ian Edginton's stuff, this one goes to Dan Abnett. For relentlessly sustained quality over many years, only John Wagner is in the same league.

TordelBack

Impossible choice, both writers have contributed so much over the second half of the prog that the comic would be unrecognizable without either of them. The modern triumphs that are Brink, Lawless and Kingdom are easily matched by the heavyweights of Scarlet Traces, Stickleback and Brass Sun. And of course Feral & Foe square off nicely against Kingmaker. The impossibly long-running Sinister Dexter might have the edge over Red Seas,  but the latter had the advantage of being a (-n almost)  complete tale, with ties into Stone Island,  Leviathan, and (probably) Helium to give it a bit more heft. Very evenly matched, these boys.

I think I'll have to go with Dan Abnett, partly because I think his characters have a tiny bit more warmth to them, also because I cannot resist a pun, and his are the absolute worst.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: TordelBack on 21 June, 2020, 08:38:35 PM

I think I'll have to go with Dan Abnett, partly because I think his characters have a tiny bit more warmth to them, also because I cannot resist a pun, and his are the absolute worst.

No better man to carry on that fine 2000ad tradition.  The most contrived one, and thus my absolute favourite, was the Downlode restaurant called the Hot Pot 'n' News on the Square.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

sintec

This has been a really tough one as both men are superb world builders able to craft great characters and thrilling narratives. It's really come down to the slimmest of margins. Much as I love Edginton's work I've got to give my vote to Abnett. Lawless and Brink are the two stories that made a subscription to Tharg's mighty organs a must-buy for me. If we'd had another series or two of Thistlebone this could have gone the other way though it really is very close.

Tomwe

I've been voting for both these creators up until now, think it's gonna have to be Dan Abnett, for Brink and Lawless, and the sheer durability of Sin Dex.