Main Menu

Prog 1648: Cutting Crew!

Started by Darren Stephens, 08 August, 2009, 09:17:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dandontdare

Quote from: Grant Goggans on 08 August, 2009, 06:27:30 PM
Which of these thrills is double-length this week?
Sinister Dexter (10 pages), and it's a corker. I too was a bit puzzled by [spoiler]the whole flashback of her telling them what it is and the guys surviving the explosion until James S pointed out that the one explains the other. Though if she'd just screamed "RADIUS CHARGE" in the bedroom instead of all that "wait, stop no you've got to listen to me....", then maybe things would have turned out different[/spoiler]. Those implants of Ramone's seem too cool to be true - that can't turn out well, I'm guessing.

The wrap up to Judge Dredd: Rehab was cool - [spoiler]so Judge Joe isn't dead, but is taken back to the Meg, eh? - now there's all kinds of potential for future lookey-likey shenanigans right there! And it's nice to see that they show a little respect and allow him to keep his helmet on in the cubes. Best line - Drokk - Incoming Eldster![/spoiler] Can't wait for next prog to see where things are going within Justice Dept.

The rest wasn't much cop though. I'll not say 'owt about Defoe, I barely skimmed it this week, hate it. Red Seas has it's moments - anyone here with expertise like to work out the effects of firing chain shot from a ship's cannon slung around your neck on a rope? A combination of decapitation and powered flight methinks. And it was awfully convenient [spoiler]that the surprise attack blasted Tekel, sorry Toten, close to his secret hidden lever. I can't remember the cousin either[/spoiler] - this strip tends to provide some really nice vignettes but the overall cast and plot just don't make a lasting impression.

New line up looks really amazing, but this prog's just marking time.

DavidXBrunt

Cousin? Could it be Sinbads daughter?

ukdane

Dredd: Great stuff, and winner of the quote of the week for me, with "Drokk! Incomming Eldster!".

Red Seas: I'm enjoying this, as always.

Sinister Dexter: Enjoying this too.

Defoe: No idea what's going on half the time. Can't decide if that's the script or the artwork at fault. (Although I actually like the artwork, I'm just not sure I can decipher what is going on) I also think that as the theme in this and Red Seas seem (to me) to be very similar, I don't understand why Tharg choose to run both stories parallel to each other.

RPG ad: Still not properly available for preorder on Amazon.

Letters: I think printing the negative review show that Tharg has balls. However I couldn't agree any less with the comments in said letter if I was paid to do so.

Future lineup: Looks great, BUT Why is Paul Marshall on Dante? Nothing wrong with his art, but Dante art duties "belong" to Fraser and Burns.

2000ad knocking the pants of the Meg (and will continue to do so as long as the Meg prints film reviews)
Cheers

-Daney

DavidXBrunt

A new Dante artist? Brave and wise move. I'd still like to see Stevey Owl on Dante duties again.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: ukdane on 08 August, 2009, 09:17:04 PM
BUT Why is Paul Marshall on Dante? Nothing wrong with his art, but Dante art duties "belong" to Fraser and Burns.

It's in the interview I linked to. Si Fraser had other duties looming on an American series, so the last Dante story, Army of Thieves and Whores, had to be cut abruptly short. Knock-on effect of that was that John Burns' workload increased as he found himself having to pick up the extra episodes, and the cumulative effect of the delays was that there would be no more Dante in 2009.

So I suppose Tharg deemed it better to bring in a third artist to keep some momentum going rather than stick to Burns and Fraser but have to wait 6+ months for a new story. Good call, in my view.
@jamesfeistdraws

vzzbux

Only read Dredd at the moment and have fully enjoyed Rehab. Lets hope this isn't the last we have seen of Joseph and his inane grin. "We shall not be moved".

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Dandontdare

Quote from: vzzbux on 08 August, 2009, 10:21:17 PMLets hope this isn't the last we have seen of Joseph and his inane grin. "We shall not be moved".

All day I've been coming up with ever more outlandish ideas for how Alternate-Joe could be used in future stories. I really hope Al gets the chance after the upcoming mega epic.

I, Cosh

Quote from: DavidXBrunt on 08 August, 2009, 09:24:45 PM
A new Dante artist? Brave and wise move. I'd still like to see Stevey Owl on Dante duties again.
I agree and I'd like Yeowell back too if it could be a black and white strip. I find it puzzling that Tharg seems to settle on a strip being either colour or monochrome rather than deciding that on a story by story basis. I'd love a new B&W Stront story.

I think we've still got a few Dante stories to come, although I'm guessing that the next couple will be big ones. I've just reread the whole lot and I hadn't previously appreciated how the "Hero of the Revolution" epithet has been worked in. The one thing Dante's never had is a truly epic 20 or 25 part story. It'd be great it if we could have something like that before the end.

Overall, this was a very enjoyable Prog; considerably better than the last one.
We never really die.

Robin Low

Quote from: Mardroid on 08 August, 2009, 04:11:35 PM

The Widowmaker. Is that standard issue big gun for Justice Dept? I wondered if it would be the law-rod mark 2 when I saw it last issue. (Then again I've only seen the law-rod in Case files 1- although I'm sure it appears elsewhere.)

If I remember correctly, the Widowmaker was first introduced in Judgement Day and was specifically described as the replacement for the outdated Law Rod. Mind you, I've never quite understood why you'd replace a rifle with a machine gun.

The military types can correct me, but I'm pretty certain there's a real-world gun called the Widowmaker. It really doesn't sound like a name that Justice Department would give to a gun, though. Something like the Law Bringer would at least follow form.

Regards

Robin

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Robin Low on 09 August, 2009, 09:28:19 AMIt really doesn't sound like a name that Justice Department would give to a gun, though.

*coughcoughcough*GarthnEnnis*coughcough*

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Bouwel

The F-104 Starfighter was nick-named 'The Widowmaker' due to the high accident rate. Hard to hide that in your boot holster though.

-Bouwel-
-A person's mind can be changed by reading information on the internet. The nature of this change will be from having no opinion to having a wrong opinion-

ukdane

QuoteI find it puzzling that Tharg seems to settle on a strip being either colour or monochrome rather than deciding that on a story by story basis. I'd love a new B&W Stront story.

Strontium Dog of course being one of the few strips, where Tharg actually has used both colour, and blank and white.

See the new SD: Traitor To His Kind tpb collection for case in point.  :)
Cheers

-Daney

I, Cosh

Quote from: ukdane on 09 August, 2009, 05:18:54 PM
QuoteI find it puzzling that Tharg seems to settle on a strip being either colour or monochrome rather than deciding that on a story by story basis. I'd love a new B&W Stront story.

Strontium Dog of course being one of the few strips, where Tharg actually has used both colour, and blank and white.

See the new SD: Traitor To His Kind tpb collection for case in point.  :)
I thought Roadhouse was the only story since the comeback that's in B&W. Which is why I'd like to see another one as that's easily the best looking of the revived Stront stories.
We never really die.

ukdane

QuoteWhich is why I'd like to see another one as that's easily the best looking of the revived Stront stories.

Agreed Cosh. (there has only been the one)
Cheers

-Daney

DavidXBrunt

For those of you struggling to remember Sarita in Red Seas she appeared in the second series, the one with the Harryhausen vibe.