Main Menu

My secret Second life

Started by ThryllSeekyr, 19 August, 2009, 10:01:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmallBlueThing

This thread is, to use a modern parlance, the bat's flaps! It has made me want to sign up for Second Life (even though my laptop has about as much chance of running it smoothly as it has.. er, well, doing anything other than being a convenient place to rest my coffee when the lid is down)- and find you Thryllseeker, if only so we can go on a faux-Dublin pubcrawl (is Bruxelles in there, just off Grafton Street?- you'd like that).

But, in the absence of everyone getting off their arses and all going to the same con, we should ALL join up and have a virtual romp. We should nick a boat, go on a booze cruise, then become an International terrorist organisation and see how Second Life's engine responds to a group of deperados trying to control the entire world.

But I if ever get a speedier computer- I'm defiantely there!

Steev

uncle fester

This is how revolutions start...

Oh, and we could build Mega City One (or a sector of it, to begin with) while we were there...  ;D

DavidXBrunt

Just heard that Nicks brother in law is being paid £500 to fly to the US and give a presentation on Second Life to potential future employees.

I taught him everything he knows, by the way.

Peter Wolf

If i want to laugh at something all i have to do is click on this thread.

Honestly i just cant stop laughing at the last set of pictures that were posted .

;D ;D

There is something absurd about Second life.

Your first life must be pretty Crap to want to retreat into Second Life.

No disrespect to you TS.Its just my view of it in general.

Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

ThryllSeekyr

How I changed my clothing in Freebie Arkan --Gothic Castle--- and acccidnetly altered my appearance. In this picture here, I have already started doing my re-edit.

Quote from: DavidXBrunt on 21 August, 2009, 08:59:28 AM
Anyone ever tell you that you virtually look like Viv Stanshall?

No, haven't ever heard of the felow before you mentioned him. Although reading up on him now. There's some interresting stuff about him and I do notice some vague similarity to me, but I don't have red hair, or am I nearly as old or as dead as he is.

There's some interesting quotations from him here.......

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://theroundy.typepad.com/my_weblog/images/2007/11/04/viv.jpg&imgrefurl=http://theroundy.typepad.com/my_weblog/2007/11/viv-stanshall--.html&usg=__khm1rSwffuTTMovfjHAPQiJ8C3o=&h=500&w=357&sz=142&hl=en&start=20&um=1&tbnid=vZNHruTDOVsmpM:&tbnh=130&tbnw=93&prev=/images%3Fq%3DViv%2BStanshall%253F%26hl%3Den%26rls%3Dcom.microsoft:en-au:IE-SearchBox%26rlz%3D1I7GGIR_en%26sa%3DN%26um%3D1

It says he was the narrator for Mike Oldfields "Tubular Bells". Not sure if thats official, or something he's done after the recording. I always thought Mike Oldfield did everything on that and I mean evrything. The one man show. I got that CD.somewhere. It's quite interesting..

Quote from: GordonR on 21 August, 2009, 10:07:22 AM
To get back to your original point, TS...

QuoteAs I interested in using the Internet as means ofincome. I did some research into what online games you can legally make money from. As I had heard thet in Asia they have gold farms in games like "World of Warcraft". I have also heard that this only within Asia and it's actuialley illegal where I live.

But I will keep trying.

It was last fortnight that I decided to join up here.

As they say that you can make money here.

How is this helping you make money online?

I'm really not sure, but I am investigating. So far I have made three dollars from a survey. But it's really only a virtual coupon, that I can only use in a specific store that I probably never normally shop at anyway.

I've also got some viking treasure in my inventory.. There's price tag on it too. So might be able to make some Linden dollars off of it. LINDEN DOLLARS. The virtual currency of SECOND LIFE. It's supposed to be peanuts compared to real world money anyway..

At the bottom of the infamous staircase at Freebie Arkan --The Gothic Castle--. Rediting still underwway, made more diffficult by constantly kicked from the server.

Quote from: uncle fester on 21 August, 2009, 10:22:34 AM
This woman did pretty well out of it.

http://www.businessweek.com/the_thread/techbeat/archives/2006/11/second_lifes_fi.html

Flogged it to someone else for the real-life value as I recall.

Yep, I read her story earlier and thought.... well thats just another tycoon making money virtaully where they would be otherwise making money in reality. I beleeive it's just a neater pace to make money in, it's not as messy. She  did something using Second Life, and has brought it into the real world. Of course I 'm not even hoping to become as as rich as this lady has.. I 'm just looking to make enough money to keep me happy.I want to be back in the LOOP, but on my own terms.

Quote from: DavidXBrunt on 21 August, 2009, 10:24:42 AM
I've resisted saying this but my partners brother in law is employed by Second Life.

He started off playing it and has since been involved in creating characters for people to interact with. He spent at least a week being a fatally injured child suffering from serious burns and interacting with student nurses.

He's also been sent o Glastonbury along with his second-life wife to take photos and help map out a Glastonbury simulation. Oh yeah. Virtual Glastonbury.

Thats sounds interesting and gives me hope.

Are you saying he's got real wife or a virtual wife:P & they've gone on virtual tour of Glastobury or real life ae they doing this.

Quote from: peterwolf on 21 August, 2009, 01:22:54 PM
What is your time spent on Second Life supposed to acheive ?

What is the point of it ?

My point is that I would much rather be comrfortable working from home for a pittance on a computer than going to work at another place each day for a pittance like I have in the past. Besides I do have some personal problems that would prevent me from fitting as well as I used to.

Besides I like gaming and computers. I've always had more of a affinity for these machines that I don't have for real people.

Now close up. Notice my missing shoes. I'm still looking for my designer socks. Notice my different face and longer hair.

Quote from: Van Dom on 21 August, 2009, 01:33:59 PM
Oh yeah, like a Grand Theft Auto version of Second Life. You know, that WOULD be fun!

Yeah, although, there is a lack of traffic and noise in SL Dublin. it would be cool to virtual world of 2000AD..

Quote from: James S on 21 August, 2009, 01:55:13 PM
might the game be more fun if the graphics looked less like everquest 1 ?
and if there was less yiffing of course.

Yeah I'm really playing it, but the building looks okay. Like to compare thsi with stylised but simple comic book art.

Quote from: SpookyTheCat on 21 August, 2009, 03:06:32 PM
This thread is, to use a modern parlance, the bat's flaps! It has made me want to sign up for Second Life (even though my laptop has about as much chance of running it smoothly as it has.. er, well, doing anything other than being a convenient place to rest my coffee when the lid is down)- and find you Thryllseeker, if only so we can go on a faux-Dublin pubcrawl (is Bruxelles in there, just off Grafton Street?- you'd like that).

But, in the absence of everyone getting off their arses and all going to the same con, we should ALL join up and have a virtual romp. We should nick a boat, go on a booze cruise, then become an International terrorist organisation and see how Second Life's engine responds to a group of deperados trying to control the entire world.

Steev

Like I said, I did go into another pub on the street adjacent to where the Liteary one is acros the road from a alleyway with carboard box in it. You can ly die inside like a tramp.Though I'm not there now.

Here are it's co-ordinates.

Blarney Stone Irish Bar -Dublin in SL (77,79,25)

I went to Sports bar in Shamrock Isle. You woulod find the picture of me dancing on the counter-top that I have put up earlier in this thread. I was there last week..

Here are the co-ordinates for that place.

Try Line Sports Bar, dublin(144,105,25)

Right now I am in this Gothic Castle.

FREEBIE ARKAN - Gothic freebie Full Perms italia USA England  Youbuss 150,124,56(mature)

Though I don't really under stand how it all works.

I would love to go on virtual pub crawl, but I'm not sure where Bruxelles is exactly, though I have been to the Grafton locaton. If you look for earlier picture of my avatar sitting alone on dark leather circular lounge seat at a open air disco. That was at Grafton. The disco is in a courtyard surrounded by all these trendy shops. At the disco, you can dance when evr you click on  the glittery ball floating around there. It will give you a wide selection of dance moves to try out. Although, theres no Morris Dancing, Irish Jigging or Scottish Sword skipping much to my disappointment.

They've got the Blarney Stone somewhere. That would be worth visiting.

I'm still athe bottom floor of the Freebie Arkan.They have what looks like showroom full of bar furniture, fixtures, and bar stools. No patrons or bar staff,. This place looks empty of people. It's spooky, sort of.

Yesterday, I experienced abit of lag while I tried new clothing. I thought I had a viking costume from finding the treasure pakage at Sea-Henge near Shamrock Island. I tried them on and they were just something like white pajamas.

I discovered a sounvenir Blarney Stone T-shirt, another pair of jeans, a floppy cap with a pom-pom, glass of Guiness and a shillaugh in the Welcome to Dublin package that I must have picked up from the Univercity grounds somewhere. When I tired putting them on I experienced some lag before saw them download properly. Then all of a sudden my avatar got taller, skinnier as my avatars skin got darker, facial features and hair altered right before my eyes.

Don't know how that happend.

Either somebody has hacked my avatar's appaerance, or it was attached to one of the clothing packs. Yeah, so I got better looking, but it wasn't me. I started re-editing, and now have some of my own body parts back via having saved most of my body to a inventory. So all it took was just reloading them. Although my skin, face and hair is still different. So as I have started re-editing my face and haed. They are strangely stil overlaapped with those newer features. I look familer without looking myself. It's going to take some work getting back to my old avatars' self. You might say I lost my face.

I would love to do the terroist thing with all of you by my side. Perhaps later some time. I am interested looking around this place here. They say there are alot of ways to make some money.

Quote from: uncle fester on 21 August, 2009, 03:12:22 PM

Oh, and we could build Mega City One (or a sector of it, to begin with) while we were there...  ;D

Revolutions.....?

You mean the third Matrix film?.

Building a sector of Mega city One to roam around free in.... 

One can only dream.

I remember finding a Vespa parked somewhere. though it didn't work very well.

Quote from: DavidXBrunt on 21 August, 2009, 10:26:24 PM
Just heard that Nicks brother in law is being paid £500 to fly to the US and give a presentation on Second Life to potential future employees.

Oh, really, 500  pounds.and the plane ride was free I suspect..If thats the start of career, then I 'd say it seems worthwhile. Though even 500 hundred pounds seems abit cheap for just a one off occasion

Quote from: peterwolf on 22 August, 2009, 12:13:06 AM

Honestly i just cant stop laughing at the last set of pictures that were posted .

;D ;D

Was that me of the picture behind me?

My reason for wanting to use Second Life as a place to retreat from my real life.?

Yeah, you are correct about that.

I really want to retreat to a artficial world and see if I can make cash there..   

Now That the floppy cap, Gunniess and Shillaugh ahve fully downloaded. Do I now look like the Riddler.   

ThryllSeekyr

How I changed my clothing in Freebie Arkan --Gothic Castle--- and accidently altered my appearance. In this picture here, I have already started doing my re-edit.

Quote from: DavidXBrunt on 21 August, 2009, 08:59:28 AM
Anyone ever tell you that you virtually look like Viv Stanshall?

No, haven't ever heard of the felow before you mentioned him. Although reading up on him now. There's some interresting stuff about him and I do notice some vague similarity to me, but I don't have red hair, or am I nearly as old or as dead as he is.

There's some interesting quotations from him here.......

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://theroundy.typepad.com/my_weblog/images/2007/11/04/viv.jpg&imgrefurl=http://theroundy.typepad.com/my_weblog/2007/11/viv-stanshall--.html&usg=__khm1rSwffuTTMovfjHAPQiJ8C3o=&h=500&w=357&sz=142&hl=en&start=20&um=1&tbnid=vZNHruTDOVsmpM:&tbnh=130&tbnw=93&prev=/images%3Fq%3DViv%2BStanshall%253F%26hl%3Den%26rls%3Dcom.microsoft:en-au:IE-SearchBox%26rlz%3D1I7GGIR_en%26sa%3DN%26um%3D1

It says he was the narrator for Mike Oldfields "Tubular Bells". Not sure if thats official, or something he's done after the recording. I always thought Mike Oldfield did everything on that and I mean evrything. The one man show. I got that CD.somewhere. It's quite interesting..

Quote from: GordonR on 21 August, 2009, 10:07:22 AM
To get back to your original point, TS...

QuoteAs I interested in using the Internet as means ofincome. I did some research into what online games you can legally make money from. As I had heard thet in Asia they have gold farms in games like "World of Warcraft". I have also heard that this only within Asia and it's actuialley illegal where I live.

But I will keep trying.

It was last fortnight that I decided to join up here.

As they say that you can make money here.

How is this helping you make money online?

I'm really not sure, but I am investigating. So far I have made three dollars from a survey. But it's really only a virtual coupon, that I can only use in a specific store that I probably never normally shop at anyway.

I've also got some viking treasure in my inventory.. There's price tag on it too. So might be able to make some Linden dollars off of it. LINDEN DOLLARS. The virtual currency of SECOND LIFE. It's supposed to be peanuts compared to real world money anyway..

At the bottom of the infamous staircase at Freebie Arkan --The Gothic Castle--. Rediting still underwway, made more diffficult by constantly kicked from the server.

Quote from: uncle fester on 21 August, 2009, 10:22:34 AM
This woman did pretty well out of it.

http://www.businessweek.com/the_thread/techbeat/archives/2006/11/second_lifes_fi.html

Flogged it to someone else for the real-life value as I recall.

Yep, I read her story earlier and thought.... well thats just another tycoon making money virtaully where they would be otherwise making money in reality. I beleive it's just a neater pace to make money in, it's not as messy. She  did something using Second Life, and has brought it into the real world. Of course I 'm not even hoping to become as as rich as this lady has.. I 'm just looking to make enough money to keep me happy.I want to be back in the LOOP, but on my own terms.

Quote from: DavidXBrunt on 21 August, 2009, 10:24:42 AM
I've resisted saying this but my partners brother in law is employed by Second Life.

He started off playing it and has since been involved in creating characters for people to interact with. He spent at least a week being a fatally injured child suffering from serious burns and interacting with student nurses.

He's also been sent o Glastonbury along with his second-life wife to take photos and help map out a Glastonbury simulation. Oh yeah. Virtual Glastonbury.

Thats sounds interesting and gives me hope.

Are you saying he's got real wife or a virtual wife:P & they've gone on virtual tour of Glastobury or real life ae they doing this.

Quote from: peterwolf on 21 August, 2009, 01:22:54 PM
What is your time spent on Second Life supposed to acheive ?

What is the point of it ?

My point is that I would much rather be comrfortable working from home for a pittance on a computer than going to work at another place each day for a pittance like I have in the past. Besides I do have some personal problems that would prevent me from fitting as well as I used to.

Besides I like gaming and computers. I've always had more of a affinity for these machines that I don't have for real people.

Now close up. Notice my missing shoes. I'm still looking for my designer socks. Notice my different face and longer hair.

Quote from: Van Dom on 21 August, 2009, 01:33:59 PM
Oh yeah, like a Grand Theft Auto version of Second Life. You know, that WOULD be fun!

Yeah, although, there is a lack of traffic and noise in SL Dublin. it would be cool to virtual world of 2000AD..

Quote from: James S on 21 August, 2009, 01:55:13 PM
might the game be more fun if the graphics looked less like everquest 1 ?
and if there was less yiffing of course.

Yeah I'm really playing it, but the building looks okay. Like to compare this with stylised but simple comic book art.

Quote from: SpookyTheCat on 21 August, 2009, 03:06:32 PM

Steev

Like I said, I did go into another pub on the street adjacent to where the Liteary one is acros the road from a alleyway with carboard box in it. You can ly die inside like a tramp.Though I'm not there now.

Here are it's co-ordinates.

Blarney Stone Irish Bar -Dublin in SL (77,79,25)

I went to Sports bar in Shamrock Isle. You would find the picture of me dancing on the counter-top that I have put up earlier in this thread. I was there last week..

Here are the co-ordinates for that place.

Try Line Sports Bar, dublin(144,105,25)

Right now I am in this Gothic Castle.

FREEBIE ARKAN - Gothic freebie Full Perms italia USA England  Youbuss 150,124,56(mature)

Though I don't really under stand how it all works.

I would love to go on virtual pub crawl, but I'm not sure where Bruxelles is exactly, though I have been to the Grafton location. If you look for a earlier picture of my avatar sitting alone on dark leather circular lounge seat at a open air disco. That was at Grafton. The disco is in a courtyard surrounded by all these trendy shops. At the disco, you can dance when ever you click on  the glittery ball floating around there. It will give you a wide selection of dance moves to try out. Although, theres no Morris Dancing, Irish Jigging or Scottish Sword skipping much to my disappointment.

They've got the Blarney Stone somewhere. That would be worth visiting.

I'm still athe bottom floor of the Freebie Arkan.They have what looks like showroom full of bar furniture, fixtures, and bar stools. No patrons or bar staff,. This place looks empty of people. It's spooky, sort of.

Yesterday, I experienced abit of lag while I tried new clothing. I thought I had a viking costume from finding the treasure pakage at Sea-Henge near Shamrock Island. I tried them on and they were just something like white pajamas.

I discovered a sounvenir Blarney Stone T-shirt, another pair of jeans, a floppy cap with a pom-pom, glass of Guiness and a shillaugh in the Welcome to Dublin package that I must have picked up from the Univercity grounds somewhere. When I tired putting them on I experienced some lag before saw them download properly. Then all of a sudden my avatar got taller, skinnier, the skin tone darkern, facial features and hair altered right before my eyes.

Don't know how that happened.

Either somebody has hacked my avatar's appaerance, or it was attached to one of the clothing packs. Yeah, so I got better looking, but it wasn't me. I started re-editing, and now have some of my own body parts back via having saved most of my body to a inventory. So all it took was just reloading them. Although my skin, face and hair is still different. So as I have started re-editing my face and head. They are strangely stil overlaapped with those newer features. I look familer without looking myself. It's going to take some work getting back to my old avatars' self. You might say I lost my face.

I would love to do the terroist thing with all of you by my side. Perhaps later some time. I am interested looking around this place here. They say there are alot of ways to make some money.

Quote from: uncle fester on 21 August, 2009, 03:12:22 PM

Revolutions.....?

You mean the third Matrix film?.

Building a sector of Mega city One to roam around free in.... 

One can only dream.

I remember finding a Vespa parked somewhere. Though it didn't work very well.

Quote from: DavidXBrunt on 21 August, 2009, 10:26:24 PM

Oh, really, 500  pounds.and the plane ride was free I suspect..If thats the start of career, then I 'd say it seems worthwhile. Though even 500 hundred pounds seems abit cheap for just a one off occasion

Quote from: peterwolf on 22 August, 2009, 12:13:06 AM

;D ;D

Was that me of the picture behind me?

My reason for wanting to use Second Life as a place to retreat from my real life.?

Yeah, you are correct about that.

I really want to retreat to a artficial world and see if I can make cash there..   

Now That the floppy cap, Gunniess and Shillaugh ahve fully downloaded. Do I now look like the Riddler.   

Devons Daddy

I dont get the appeal of second life either.

up until my son pointed out, its a bit like you and mega city one daddy.
in your head its real and when you read your prog, your there.
(oddly wise words and true ones from a 12 year old.)

I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

ThryllSeekyr

Well, I going to have a good go at this before I right it off.

I know I'm now having more problems with this than I started with.

It was late last night that I finally completey rediting my appaerance after it was mysteriously altered.

While I'm stuck in the Freebie Arkan, something that  looks like a hairpice keeps overlapping with the hair style I chose.  In a way it's enhancing my apaerance but it's not how I want to look.

How I look in the game is pretty darn close to how I really look in real life.

A little heavey set, alittle tubby round the middle, reasoanbly hairy, and slightly below average height. But not noticably so

Like, the only people that could call me short are those that are taller than me.

My other problem with Second Life is that is that I get logged-out anytime I try to teleport away from the Freebie Arkan and when I logg back in. I find that the teleport never completled.

It takes a while for the Freebie Arkan to fully download and it's been twice that I have been trapped floating in mid air because I was in one of the upper towers while I logged out before hand.

The basement area where all the showrooms are seems to be the only safe place to be for the time being. As it downloads first.

Sometimes I get logged out while waiting for the rest of the place to appaer around me.when ever I have gone upstairs. .

I guess my best plan is to walk out of the place, but as it takes so long for the surrounding area to appaer, it seems like a isolated area physcially cut off form the regular SL Dublin location where I first logg in a fortnight ealrier. Like aa island. There appaers to be alot of water around and underenath it.

It might be problems with the server or my low band width..

Does anybody want me to keep putting up picrtures. I have few more.

Though my avatar now looks different to how was before. Subltly, the hair is longer.

ThryllSeekyr

I useally hang round the pub in the Second Life version of Dublin, at the Irsh Pub called the Blarney Stone if anybody wants to make a avatar and meet up.

House of Usher

Query: what is that thing in your hand that looks like a pea shooter? It does look like a bag of frozen peas has sprung a leak somewhere.
STRIKE !!!

ThryllSeekyr

If you choose to make a Avatar in Second LIfe Dublin. Then you can get a Welcome pack from one of the billboards in the start up area, where everybody usaulley modifies their look, appaerance, and change their clothing.

In the Welcome pack is a BLarney Stone T-shirt.

Which I am wearing.

There is also Cloth hat, but that looks silly on me.

A pair of jeans like the ones I'm wearing.

Actualley I wearing all the stuff from the pack.

The Pea-Shooter You thought I had in my hand is supposed to be a Shillaugh.

Something I expected to look like a ornately carved rod of wood, but looks more like a Baton.

Tiny Four leaf clovers are floating out of the end of it.

If you wear the bracelet, you will start dancing a jig.

Abit like the Scottish sword dance, without the sword.

Van Dom

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 21 September, 2009, 01:08:13 AM

I useally hang round the pub in the Second Life version of Dublin, at the Irsh Pub called the Blarney Stone if anybody wants to make a avatar and meet up.

I tried to do that a few weeks ago but got some error or other .... I might give it another crack later on TS! How do I find this Blarney Stone if I do manage to get in?
Van Dom! El Chivo! Bhuna! Prof T Bear! And More! All in Vanguard Edition Three, available now. Check the blog or FB page for details!

VANGUARD COMIC!

VANGUARD FACEBOOK PAGE!

Dark Jimbo

Either I'm dreaming this thread, or I've finally lost my grip on reality.
@jamesfeistdraws

TordelBack

QuoteEither I'm dreaming this thread, or I've finally lost my grip on reality.

S'okay Jimbo, I see it too.  It's like the product of some horrible fever dream.

locustsofdeath!

I believe this just mighe be my favorite thread ever.

Ever.