Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CalHab

Probably the best thing about Straight to Hell is that their time on set in Spain led to The Pogues writing Fiesta, which is a cracking tune.

JohnMcF

I would also recommend Highway Patrolman by Alex Cox. One of his Mexican pictures.

milstar

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
Long as its title, eerily long that is (perhaps if it's runtime is slashed by 30 minutes), made the viewing a bit like chore. Which is a bit too bad, because this was very nice period drama and probably the closest we ever got to who really Jesse James and Robert Ford were. Ofcourse some historical facts were sacrificed for dramatically relationship between the two men, but not bad. And Brad Pitt and Casey Affleck were really damn good. And I never liked Casey's act before, but it's here where he started to shine (ironically, his characters gradually changes from minor annoyance to full-fleshed one). And I always liked Sam Rockwell. Some impressive naturalistic visuals and camerawork too. Finally, the whole commentary on the obssession with the celebrity figures, especially brigands, is relevant for contemporary times. America was rotten there, it is rotten now.
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

CalHab

Quote from: pictsy on 22 August, 2021, 11:59:21 PM
Kid Detective

CalHab sold it, I watched it.

I really liked this.  I kinda want to gush about this film but it would all be spoilers.  The kid detective and noir mix works really well.  It reminded me a little of Brick.  I am really impressed with what this film has to offer and I'm really glad CalHab watched it and piqued my interest with his synopsis.  Really liked the ending, it was a good choice.  Yeah, I'd recommend it even if you might not like it as much as me it's at least worth giving it a shot.

I'm glad you enjoyed it too! Looking back at my comment earlier, I think its a better film than I made it sound and I think your post gets it right.

Brick is a very good comparison, but KD doesn't take itself as seriously (despite some plot points being very, very dark). There's an obvious comparison to one late noir film (one of my favourites), but naming that film might give away something of the end of Kid Detective!

CalHab

Quote from: milstar on 24 August, 2021, 07:38:27 AM
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford

I saw this in the cinema on release and it was a genuinely stunning piece of work. Roger Deakin's cinematography is incredible (the unusual lenses are so well used there). I watched it again on tv a few years later and it was still a great film but lost an awful lot of its power, which is a shame.

I might watch it again.

milstar

Quote from: rogue69 on 16 August, 2021, 11:42:19 AM
Just watched  M. Night Shyamalan's The Village (2004) for the first time in ages. Good cast story runs along at a slow but suitable pace,but it is ruined by the twist at the end and if you have seen it before you loose alot of the mystic of the story. Not a bad film overall worthspending 1 1/2- 2hrs on if you have nothing better to do

I think the twist is what saved the movie. All along I thought "what's this all about?", then came the twist and I grew fondly of it. Can't say I saw it coming.
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

pictsy

Quote from: CalHab on 24 August, 2021, 08:31:30 AM

I'm glad you enjoyed it too! Looking back at my comment earlier, I think its a better film than I made it sound and I think your post gets it right.

Brick is a very good comparison, but KD doesn't take itself as seriously (despite some plot points being very, very dark). There's an obvious comparison to one late noir film (one of my favourites), but naming that film might give away something of the end of Kid Detective!

It was definitely a highlight.  The concept itself sounded interesting enough and it's a delight to get more than I expect.  I also really love these well made quirky films.

I haven't actually watched any of the old noir films.  I suppose if I were I'd have to start with The Maltese Falcon.  It's the only one I know off the top of my head.

Funt Solo

I enjoyed The Maltese Falcon. I also rate:

The Big Sleep (and more Bogart & Bacall chemistry in To Have and Have Not & Key Largo).
The Third Man
Double Indemnity

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

milstar

I didn't like much Bogey "private dick" movies. The Big Sleep was so-so, solid, but bland as adaptation, of otherwise outstanding novel. The Maltese Falcon... Less a detective movie than a character study. And I do hated the characters (some of which may be within the times it was made).

I'd have to go with:
Sunset Boulevard
Kiss me Deadly
In a Lonely Place
Key Largo (albeit it stalls in the middle)
Double Indemnity
The Third Man
Lady from Shanghai
Blue Dahlia

CalHab

All this talk of Bogart has made me want to find my copy of Wagner/Grant/Smith's The Bogie Man. Now there's a Noir classic.

von Boom

Red Planet (2000). A very sketchy film about landing on Mars to find out what when wrong with the terraforming project. There are some decent actors in this film and if the story had been a little more science and a lot less fiction this could have been quite a good film. In the end, while it has its moments, there are a number of problems that really detract from the film. Still, it scratched my Mars itch for a couple of hours and I've seen many worse films. The Martin covers much of the same ground but in a much better fashion.

milstar

Quote from: CalHab on 25 August, 2021, 09:59:33 AM
All this talk of Bogart has made me want to find my copy of Wagner/Grant/Smith's The Bogie Man. Now there's a Noir classic.

Hm...I forgot about that. I remember BBC film with Robbie Coltrane. Not particularly fond of it.

CalHab

Quote from: milstar on 25 August, 2021, 02:18:31 PM
Quote from: CalHab on 25 August, 2021, 09:59:33 AM

Hm...I forgot about that. I remember BBC film with Robbie Coltrane. Not particularly fond of it.

Yeah, the tv version is rotten. But the comic is great.

Barrington Boots

On the recommendation of a friend I watched a film called Six Underground. I think maybe this guy isn't my friend after all...
You're a dark horse, Boots.

pictsy

Quote from: Barrington Boots on 26 August, 2021, 10:16:50 AM
On the recommendation of a friend I watched a film called Six Underground. I think maybe this guy isn't my friend after all...

It's a good album, though.

I looked the film up and thought "ooo, Ryan Reynolds" than read further and thought "eww, Michael Bay".  I think I understand why it may have not been the best film to watch.