Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fisticuffs

Quote from: judgefloyd on 10 July, 2012, 03:54:14 AM
what did you like about Apocalypto, Fisticuffs? I'd like to see it.

This! -

Quote from: Beaky Smoochies on 10 July, 2012, 04:49:23 AM
Fisticuffs indeed :lol:, love ya mate!  I liked Apocalypto because it was a window into a world long gone, because it was a relentlessly entertaining action movie (which is what it was designed to be), and because it was completely batpoop demented, period... you'll know what I mean when you see it, wired to the moon, it is...

It's so completely different to most of the pap Hollywood churns out, it really is a window into a long lost past, and when Jaguar Paw goes all Ray Mears on his pursuers is just awesome. It drags you in so much that when a character has his throat cut towards the start of the film my brother went into shock when he first saw it.

TordelBack

Quote from: Fisticuffs on 10 July, 2012, 09:58:12 AM... it really is a window into a long lost past...

Urge to pedantry rising...

No. Nononononono. It's a heavily fictionalised composite that draws on different aspects of various points in the Yucatan's human past and mixes them up with modern ideas to create a strikingly original environment for human drama and ultra-violence... 

Which is as it should be in this kind of excellent entertainment, but I wouldn't be lured into thinking it accurately represents any sort of 'past'.  Even when various cultural elements are faithfully presented, they are from widely disparate periods (as in 1,000 years apart) and social contexts, and bent to the service of story and imagery: it's a fantasy adventure drawing on a region's cultural heritage, effectively the Slaine of Meso-America.

Nothing at all wrong with this, BTW, I just wouldn't want anyone to come away thinking they'd been presented a vision of Guatamala ca. 1500AD.

DeFuzzed

Crank, 2006.

Awesome. Jason Statham. Any guy that can run around with his butt hanging out his hospital gown, and his rock hard dick sticking out the other end, and still look badass is a total badass :) - I heard him say he wasn't a very good actor, but in my mind, he is one of the best action actors out there. I'm curious to see him handle an non-action role, just to see if he comes across just as naturally then too and I do suspect he will - but I do enjoy his action movies, and so if that's what he sticks with, I am perfectly fine with that.

MI3, 2006.

I like all the MI movies, with the first one being my least favourite, and I like it that having different directors gives a different 'taste' to each of them. And I like Tom Cruise. Great actor, totally under-appreciated. Emotions, action, fully commits to it and makes it believable. And in MI3 he goes through a whole gamut of emotions and it's fantastic.

Which reminds me - I am looking forward to his turn as Jack Reacher. Saw a brief taster clip, and it looks like my cup of tea. Do I care he's much shorter than Reacher is supposed to be? Not in the least. I might do if I was a hardcore fan of the book!Reacher, but since I'm not, I don't give a shit. Thank the lord Karl Urban ain't a shortie though!

Fisticuffs

Quote from: TordelBack on 10 July, 2012, 10:33:56 AM
Urge to pedantry rising...

Of course not, but it's damn entertaining and a very original setting. :)

Spaceghost

Quote from: DeFuzzed on 10 July, 2012, 01:33:34 PM
Crank, 2006.

Awesome. Jason Statham. Any guy that can run around with his butt hanging out his hospital gown, and his rock hard dick sticking out the other end, and still look badass is a total badass :) - I heard him say he wasn't a very good actor, but in my mind, he is one of the best action actors out there. I'm curious to see him handle an non-action role, just to see if he comes across just as naturally then too and I do suspect he will - but I do enjoy his action movies, and so if that's what he sticks with, I am perfectly fine with that.

Have you seen Crank 2? It 'cranks' up (DO YOU GET IT?) the nuttiness to fucking ridiculous levels.

I'm a big Statham fan aswell but I wish he'd stop trying to do an American accent. It's absolutely feeble.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

darnmarr

Damnation Alley

With George Peppard and Baby Rorschach: who knew?

DeFuzzed

Quote from: Lee Bates on 10 July, 2012, 01:53:44 PM
Crank, 2006.

Awesome. Jason Statham. A

Have you seen Crank 2? It 'cranks' up (DO YOU GET IT?) the nuttiness to fucking ridiculous levels.

I'm a big Statham fan aswell but I wish he'd stop trying to do an American accent. It's absolutely feeble.

He was trying to do an accent? Heh. Didn't notice. Probably because he failed methinks.

I have seen Crank 2 and yes, ridiculous is putting it mildly. Like falling off that plane!! I definitely prefer the first one, just like with Transporter too, possibly because I had no idea what was coming and both were such a good surprise.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: darnmarr on 10 July, 2012, 02:21:14 PM
Damnation Alley

With George Peppard and Baby Rorschach: who knew?

I watched that via YouTube after learning of its similarities to Cursed Earth and thought it was rubbish but fun. Well worth watching as a piece of Judge Dredd trivia.

darnmarr

Yeah, I quite liked it as a bit of hok-um.

Hoagy

John Carter of Mars. Sort of Jason and the Argonauts with Phantam Menace aspirations and Avatar evolved effects and storyline. I liked it well enough. The humour was well achieved and one does enjoy the early industrial timeline that sets the tone of design.

The Raven. What was I saying about settings? This is a lovely detective tale gleaning some of the best of its material from a maverick innovator of the genre. The maverick innovator. It could have been made in the seventies and the pace could have slowed a bit more but it was still a pleasing viewing.
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

Ghastly McNasty

I saw Cannibal Holocaust for the first time last night. The only film that has ever made me want to turn my head away. Still traumatised now.

DrRocka

I've got Netflix on my Wii, best thing I ever did! Been steadily making my way through all of Cracker, Saxondale and The League Of Gentlemen, and discovering gems like Portlandia, but....

just watched Troll Hunter. Been meaning to watch it for ages, and today it turned up on Netflix.

What can I say? One of the most brilliantly entertaining movies I've seen in years. Bonkers and fun. And jaw dropping in its' beauty when we see that last one walk into sight through a cabin window.

Absolutely LOVED it. Can't recommend it enough.
Never ever bloody anything ever

Professor Bear

Invasion USA, a 1952 flick that follows the stories of a half-dozen people drinking in a bar after they leave it to get back to their homes in various states of America during a successful invasion by an un-named commie army.  To cut a short story shorter, every last one of them dies and it is your fault for being a capitalist pig.  I have no clue what this film is about, as it seems to be telling you that commies are evil, so we have to become commies to fight them.  Or something.  Also the film has a fantasy twist of sorts that is just mental.  An entertaining b-movie.
Invasion USA, a 1985 flick about homosexuals infiltrating the boy scouts of America and only Chuck Norris can stop them.  It seems to be a lot higher budget than I'd expect of a Chuck film, associating him more with low-fi head kicking as I do, but it's entertaining enough if you ignore the clumsy direction, lack of central focus and what a massive prick the lead actor has turned out to be.
36th Chamber of Shaolin, watched on a whim after all these years thanks to the Kung Fu thread and it's still fantastic.  The dub seems to be on a separate planet from the subtitles, making the motivations of the main character baffling as he seems to be a pacifist who truly values forgiveness until one day he just decides to just start killing people with his terrifying superhuman fighting skills, but the subs reveal that it's all very in keeping with the tracts of Buddhism, which is kind of like Scientology for ancient China.  Well worth a gander.

Beaky Smoochies

Awesome. Jason Statham.  I'm curious to see him handle an non-action role, just to see if he comes across just as naturally then too and I do suspect he will.

Have you seen The Bank Job, more of a crime drama than an outright action movie, he's pretty decent in that... it's also the first film shot in digital that I thought looked shot on film, it was then I realized that film was doomed.
"When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people there is LIBERTY!" - Thomas Jefferson.

"That government is best which governs least" - Thomas Jefferson.

IAMTHESYSTEM

Nazi's at the Centre of the Earth.

Yes it's Sci Fy Channel brain chowder again. Undead Nazi's in the Antartic! Yes everyone, beneath the Planet of the Apes lies a Hollow sphere world ruled by the master Race who preserve themselves by flaying unfortunate visitors of their flesh queue gory face scalping. 

But these interlopers are American dammit. So though they are Scientist, abused and sexually molested by mouldy Uber mensch they rebel against the nasty Deathless ones who are led unbelievably by an Actor who appeared in the Katy Perry video 'Hot and Cold' as the Priest/Vicar. Jake Bushey [named ReichStag here: yes subtlety is not this films strong point] was another American who turned Nazi then back again to good old Uncle Sam [spoiler]blowing up the Nazi super saucer in heroic self sacrifice.[/spoiler]

'Why did he do this you cry?! ' unable to control your feverish excitement for this bilge water Tv trash? 

To destroy [spoiler]ADOLPH HILTER[/spoiler] no less reborn and badly computer animated as a giant cyborg intent on leading the world back into his beneficent clutches!!

It doesn't get bigger than that and this Film helped me regain my faith in nothingness.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla