Who is it worth pitching to?

Started by bluemeanie, 06 August, 2012, 01:42:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluemeanie

Got a comic idea
Got a full story plotted out
Got a pitch document
Got an ARTIST!!! (most important bit)
Hell, even got a name artist who I've told about it and who wants to do a cover.

So any ideas of publishers worth pitching to?

Its a 100 page thing so can be cut into four for digital. Think it's pretty commercial as well.

Professor Bear

Com.X are publishing me, so they'll probably take anyone*.

Image are always worth a punt, but they warn you if you're a nobody not to bother if your pitch shares themes or aesthetics with anything else on their books - basically, no zombie or superhero pitches.  Also, consider a full script of the first issue, as a lot of companies like to see the first 8-15 pages of your pitch scripted and drawn up as a sampler.

* Not true.  I am still unsure how this happened.

locustsofdeath!

Most publishers will require completed sequential pages, so pick your best eight from the script and have the artist go for it. I put together a huge list of publishers, so if you can reveal what genre you're writing in (I'm going out on a severed limb to say horror) I'll have some suggestions.

bluemeanie

Plan at the moment is to get the first issue written then send that out, along with the pitch document outlining the full story and some spec art from the artist.

I can give examples of his sequential stuff too so that should be ok. Can give two whole comics worth of it actually, written by me. So that should tell you who I've conned into this.... provisionally at least.

Genre on this is... um... "B movie"

Did the out and out horror on the last one and got back a load of "I liked it, but we don't sell books that nasty". So this would be more black humour with some blood and guts as opposed to the really bleak stuff like last time. Less Night of the Living Dead, more Return of the Living Dead, but not zombies as that's been done to... well, you know.

Zarjazzer

The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Richmond Clements

Zarjazzer

The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Emperor

if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Professor Bear

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 07 August, 2012, 06:57:25 PM
What about Clint?

Richie's horror stories weren't nasty enough for Clint.  Not enough child murders or something, though if anyone's got a story about a shooting in a high school or a cinema, I suspect Millar wants to hear from you quick before all the free publicity dissipates.

Colin YNWA

Sorry to spin this a bit of topic but is Clint still coming out, after the relaunch I've not heard owt (though actually how long ago was that relaunch?)

Zarjazzer

Last time i was a lurking at the millarworld forums it seemed all had gone quiet on the submissions.shame really many were good.

Professor Bear

I think that might have more to do with people jumping ship on the submissions forum as already-submitted stories get stuck in limbo precluding creators submitting them somewhere else.  Last I heard, editors just weren't getting back to people.

Skullmo

It's a joke. I was joking.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Professah Byah on 08 August, 2012, 03:35:50 PM
Last I heard, editors just weren't getting back to people.

Heh. I lettered a Clint submission that was officially accepted in late 2010. No follow-up that I'm aware of to date.

Cheer

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Professor Bear

It's such a well-run vanity project, isn't it?  It actually gives me hope that seeing as how it's still being published, someone at (for instance) Egmont will cotton that comics don't need to be insanely profitable in and of themselves as much as they can just be a rotating showcase for IPs.