Main Menu

Prog 1854 - The Original Troublemaker

Started by JamesC, 12 October, 2013, 09:57:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesC

Really enjoyed this weeks prog.

Cover - There's a reason why Cliff Robinson is one of my favourite artists and this is it. Even after all this time his Dredd covers are still fresh and inventive.

Thrills of the Future - Yay, Grey Area's coming back. This time with another of my favourite artists - Patrick Goddard - on art.

Dredd - A funny and unexpected conclusion to the tale. This has been my favourite Dredd story for a long time. It's introduced some great new characters, given us some more of the underused under city and had plenty of action and humour. This is what 2000ad is all about.

Brass Sun - This strip is growing on me but I still think it's missing something. I think it will read better in one sitting though.

Flesh - Fun little interlude this week. It had a real Future Shock vibe to it and reads like something that could have appeared in the prog 30 years ago. This is a good or bad thing depending on your point of view - personally I really enjoyed it.

Aquila - This episode is really just a set up for next week. There's a nice little nod to Black Hawk. The art is stunning, particularly on the first page - wonderful colours. I fear Mr Goddard is likely to be snapped up by our colonial cousins very soon.

Damnation Station - I really like the art on this and it's growing on me even more each week. It has a real wow factor and the pages look really vibrant with the high contrast between the blacks and greens. The story isn't really doing much for me unfortunately. It feels like it's always teetering on the edge of becoming a great strip.

Overall a very good prog. I'm a happy customer this week.

hippynumber1

For the first time in a very long time there's no prog for me... That's my birthday weekend ruined.  :'(

Hawkmumbler

Don't usually comment until the prog is in my hands, but thats a freaking amazing cover by The Cliff!

Colin YNWA

The ebb and flow of the Prog huh, small margins and big differences. Last week everything felt like it was a little down, Brass Sun aside, this week everything bounced back and in fact excelled a little, well Damnation Station which just isn't working for me and might sit it out until a re-read down the line.

Dredd has an utterly satisfying conclusion, really enjoyed this one and the end was nice and refreshing, well it was more than that it was just plain superb. In most prog this one would have been a sure fire top thrill. This though isn't most Progs, this is a Prog with Brass Sun in and Brass Sun continues to be perfect comics. Characters show work wonderfully, even when showing other sides and while we are getting this great character work, almost unseen, with subtle force, the plot is driven on. Just brilliant.

Elsewhere we don't quite match the standards of these two, but Aquila does all it can to get there with a great episode, setting up an exciting conflicit (or is it?) next time. Flesh didn't have to do much to be better than its nadir last time but it bounces back well, if with a bit of a girl in the refrigerator moment. At least it set in a very interesting way.

So this week we again have a glorious cover, this time however you can judge the Prog by it.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Lock up your spoons!

Harry 20

Darren Stephens

https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

Mabs

Anyone know where I can get a sneak peak of the cover in question? I'm dying to see it!
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

JUDGE BURNS

The prog this week has stepped up a notch, compared to the last few weeks, in my opinion.
I still cant get in to Brass Sun though.

The cover, by Cliff Robinson,  is the highlight of the prog. He always delivers classic covers  :D

Mabs

My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Tjm86

Quote from: hippynumber1 on 12 October, 2013, 10:24:19 AM
For the first time in a very long time there's no prog for me...

more like once again .... becoming a little too regular at present  :(

Spikes

Colin YNWA

They've done the last couple on a Friday, so fingers crossed that will continue.

House of Usher

It is a good Prog. JamesC sums it up pretty well. Nothing especially uneven about this one - it's one of those 'firing on all cylinders' Progs. And Flesh made me laugh with its audacity. As JamesC said, it's got quite a Future Shock feel to it. I kept being reminded of Glenn Quagmire.

*Giggity*
STRIKE !!!