Main Menu

Space Spinner 2000AD

Started by Steve Green, 19 April, 2017, 09:18:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dandontdare

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 21 July, 2021, 11:56:09 AM
Having just listen to Conrad's and Fox's wrap up on Kola Kommandos I'm going to stick my neck and say I actually like it. Here's what I said on a recent(ish) re-read

QuoteKola Kommandos to be honest never gets the dip I seemed to remember. It remains reckless and immense fun. I really enjoyed it, which is not to say its good. Its not, its a mass of problems and silly ideas. Its also a mass of themes and good ideas. And somehow it works really well at the same time as dying on its arse... and I loved it!

Its really hard to disagree with anything C&F say about the strip, they are right... but as is the glory of the diverse opinions held in 2000ad fandom ... whatever it is there will be some folks who love it and some folks who don't get on with it and those subjective divergences are one of the things I love most about us minions of Tharg.

but WHY?

Leigh S

Actually took notes this time!

Eli should include Dredd in his art piece, because A: It's Dredd and having him with the villains is what makes the comic stand out from the crowd and B: He has probably offed more people than Judge Death - OK, so he didnt know about the Apocalypse Warp, but he still sent all thosse TADs so directly responsible for nuking Hippie World!

The dtes in Stront are ALL OVER THE PLACE! They kept the dates fine up until Rage - 2150 Alpha is born, joins the SD Agency in 2167,  2170 he meets Wulf

Starlord starts in 2180, Wulf dies in 2185.

Then it all goes wrong in Final Solution which is set 2 years after Wulf dies.... 2180! Judgement Day runs with this error, setting itself in 2178, so two years before the first Starlord story, let alone after Wulf's death.  I take this to be a secret, possibly subconscious  attempt by the writers to tell me these are not canonical... :p

If the West Coast falls into the sea, what do they rebuild in subsequent Chopper tale? How much of the coast do you lose if the San Andreas fault goes?

The fight between Dredd, Sadu and Alpha is peak Ennis Dredd-love. I have no problem with Dredd beating Alpha - it isnt there is no contest, just that it is one with an inevitable outcome. Sadu on the other hand is likely to be a tougher cookie. 

But add in Dredd has a punctured lung and he is taking them on at the same time... and at this time of all times.  "Real" Dredd would have given Sadu a verbal dressing down about not being a prick, which wouyld ahve been much omre characterful and memorable than the fan wankery we got.

Zenith is commenting on the Madchester scene and the 60s revival of the late 80s early 90s I presume - the maracas are a clear Bez of Happy Mondays fame reference - along with the bowl haircut, it is reference to how those bands had a big dose of pyschedelia inspiration in their sound - stuff like the La's Byrds inspired/rip off "There She Goes" or Stone Roses Byrds inspired/rip off "I Am The Resurrection"

Tharg slagging off the old strips is the last refuge of the scoundrel.  Even is Return to Armageddon and Fiends had been bad strips (which they were most certainly not!), its such a lame argument that is accepting that the stuff you re putting out now is shit.  "The Memory Cheats", my arse!

Funt Solo

Quote from: Leigh S on 22 July, 2021, 09:32:12 PM
How much of the coast do you lose if the San Andreas fault goes?

None. It's not like an overhang. The two plates are grinding along the fault line, not splitting apart - and even if they were splitting apart, that would just make a big crack, neither side of which would fall or sink, as there's nowhere to fall or sink to, as each side is supported by its respective plate.

Did this idea come from Superman II?
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Funt Solo

Quote from: Leigh S on 22 July, 2021, 09:32:12 PM
Tharg slagging off the old strips is the last refuge of the scoundrel.  Even is Return to Armageddon and Fiends had been bad strips (which they were most certainly not!), its such a lame argument that is accepting that the stuff you re putting out now is shit.  "The Memory Cheats", my arse!

In reading the Megazine's Encyclopedia I've been wondering about the lack of critique. I mean, I get it: the remit is clearly to be descriptive rather than judgmental, and one person's Marmite is another person's Marmite, but there's something uncanny about it.

On the other hand, if editorial decry something from the past as being mightily pants, well - it's a bit like any reader saying something is mightily pants - that's just, like, their opinion, man.

I had pondered applying a five-Tharg rating (like the five stars in Empire) to each entry in my A-Z, but I avoided it because there's no methodical way of doing it - at the end of the day, it comes down to personal preference.   
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Funt Solo on 23 July, 2021, 06:56:14 AM
I had pondered applying a five-Tharg rating (like the five stars in Empire) to each entry in my A-Z, but I avoided it because there's no methodical way of doing it - at the end of the day, it comes down to personal preference.

Oh but it would give us a fascinating starting point for discussion.

I'm seriously considering ranking all the Year of Thrill power in order when I get to the end of my re-read. Not to claim its any kinda definitive list - just for the fun of it and to have something for other folks to bounce off.

sheridan

Quote from: SpaceSpinner2000 on 22 July, 2021, 07:41:36 PM
Quote from: Colin YNWA on 21 July, 2021, 11:56:09 AM
Its really hard to disagree with anything C&F say about the strip, they are right... but as is the glory of the diverse opinions held in 2000ad fandom ... whatever it is there will be some folks who love it and some folks who don't get on with it and those subjective divergences are one of the things I love most about us minions of Tharg.

For sure! I can't stress enough that Fox and I's opinions are in no way guaranteed correct or definitive. Honestly one of my favorite things about the podcast now is sparking discussions about thrills that have otherwise gone unremarked upon for many years!

True about some thrills having gone under-the-radar for decades.  While I could remember there was a strip called Kola Kommandos which I read when it came out, I wouldn't have been able to tell you the slightest thing about it...

The Monarch

Before Conrad drops the inevitable link I just want to apologuise to Funt in advance. You will know why in this weeks podcast

SpaceSpinner2000

In our thrilling two hundred and sixty-first episode we continue our journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with the 1993 2000AD Yearbook.  This is the second 2000AD Yearbook, an annual-type document with a bunch of theoretically art themed stories featuring Durham Red, Robo-Hunter, Indigo Prime, Bix Barton, Brigand Doom, Rogue trooper, and Strontium Dogs, as well as a reality bending Dredd story and some classic Sláine action!

This episode Conrad is joined by friend of the show Dave, also known as THE MONARCH on the 2000AD Forums!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Spotify
Or on your favorite podcast app!

Please let me know what you think of the episode!
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

sheridan

I had no idea Tufnell Park was mentioned (used to be my local station!)

SpaceSpinner2000

In our thrilling two hundred and sixty-second episode Fox and Conrad continue their journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with Progs 800-803 of 2000AD, covering September & October 1992. This episode Judge and Marshal show down, woman and dinosaur team up, Luke Kirby comes back, Zenith blows over, and Wireheads jacks in!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Spotify

Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

The Monarch

why is robohunter?

why is duckie a traitor other than "terrible 90s lol gay people are evil lol rhetoric?"

why is doc magnet suddenly mr rogers when in earlier parts he was portrayed as a generic millar hardman?

why is kid even here?

why is robohunter?

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: The Monarch on 11 August, 2021, 01:39:13 AM
why is robohunter?

why is duckie a traitor other than "terrible 90s lol gay people are evil lol rhetoric?"

why is doc magnet suddenly mr rogers when in earlier parts he was portrayed as a generic millar hardman?

why is kid even here?

why is robohunter?
Only the Shadow knows!

In our mega twenty-third episode Eli and Conrad continue their patrol through the world of Judge Dredd with volume two, issues nine and ten of the Judge Dredd Megazine, cover date September 18th and October 3rd, 1992. This episode Dredd quells a sector, the whisky flows in Calhab, we're on the case with Armitage, we'll check in on both Judges Anderson and Hershey, and there's a new cop on the beat, MECHANISMO!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Spotify

SpaceSpinner2000

In our thrilling two hundred and sixty-third episode Fox and Conrad continue their journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with Progs 804-807 of 2000AD, covering October 1992. This episode Judges Dredd and Joyce are on the hunt for gold, Luke Kirby is hunting vampires, Wireheads surf the web, and we'll return to the Pat Mills Power Hour as Finn returns alongside Flesh!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Spotify

Funt Solo

Quote from: The Monarch on 02 August, 2021, 04:38:20 AM
Before Conrad drops the inevitable link I just want to apologuise to Funt in advance. You will know why in this weeks podcast

Huh?
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Leigh S

The most fun anyone ever had due to Wireheads!