Main Menu

Space Spinner 2000AD

Started by Steve Green, 19 April, 2017, 09:18:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpaceSpinner2000

In our thrilling fifty-eighth episode Fox and Conrad continue their journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with Progs 189-192 of 2000 AD, covering December of 1980. Join us as we fight space zombies in Return to Armageddon, party hard with Johnny Alpha and Wulf, hit a pit stop with Judge Dredd, and consult with Abelard Snazz about Robots! Also, this is the month podcast host Conrad born! Hooray!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Or on your favorite podcast app!

Please let me know what you think of the episode!
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

Lobo Baggins

You may remember Milton Keynes from Superman IV: The Quest for Peace where it played the part of Metropolis.

And no one says the z-word in Return to Armageddon - to such an extent that I rather suspect that they were forbidden from using it!
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: Lobo Baggins on 30 August, 2017, 02:12:22 PM
And no one says the z-word in Return to Armageddon - to such an extent that I rather suspect that they were forbidden from using it!

That's a good point! Here in the States we had a formalized comics code that outlawed a lot of stuff like that (industry self-policing so the government doesn't step it). It had a lot of stuff related to horror comics, including zombies, because of the anti-comics moral panics of the 1950s. I know it also outlawed realistic pictures of guns, which is why most DC and Marvel superheroes fight high-tech bad guy groups, because they could draw all the ray guns they wanted!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

Steve Green

There wasn't an official code over here - closest were the likes of Mary Whitehouse, or tabloid outrage (see Action) (Mary Whitehouse = Marjorie Blackshack in the Dredd Exo-men story)

I think it was more actions that could be imitated by kids that was a problem, rather than horror in general - although the upcoming SD story with Bubo got some flak over people being eaten.

Colin YNWA

The kids were wondering it was I was listening and snigger too over the last month or so. I played it cool, after all I'd tried to hook the kids into 2000ad a few times with little success. Anyway I told them it was just about my comics.Then a little about the stuff I they were talking about (not that I let them listen to it as you chaps are such fuckin' potty mouths!*). Finally me and the boy child discussed the positives of killer bears in comic form after I snorted at the Shako collection.

So shortly after listening to the Shako 'trade' I sat down with my 5 year old (same age as I was when I first came across Shako) and we read it together. I was a little nervous, cos ya know its pretty full on violence wise*... but it didn't do me any harm... well much... well maybe I should let others judge that... anyway he bloodly lapped it up. He looked a little nervous a few times but was desperate for me to carry on so I did and we'd licked it in two sittings.

Flesh is next up for him AND Otto Stump and a greatest hits from Case Files 1 has broken my 8 year daughter too. We're getting her straight to Cursed Earth next.

Arh Space Spinner 2000 the podcast that brings families together!

*Its so weird that I worry about letting my kids hear shitty fuckin' bastard twat language. Yet actively encourage them engaging with a polar bear ripping into into a variety of folks in increasing entertainly horrible ways!

SpaceSpinner2000

That is amazing! I'm super proud to be part of getting a new generation into 2000AD, no matter how tangentially :D Sorry about the language, when we started the show I considered asking Fox to try to keep it all G-rated, but decided that that losing battle wasn't even worth fighting

WhizzBang

I tried to give a review using an iPhone but couldn't get it to work. I gave it 5 stars, wrote a few nice sentances, prodded the 'Send' text and entered a nickname but nothing happens. I can either keep prodding the word 'Send', which does nothing, or go for 'Cancel' which takes me back to the existing reviews list.

SpaceSpinner2000

That's very odd! I will look into it ASAP!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: SpaceSpinner2000 on 31 August, 2017, 12:12:48 AM
... considered asking Fox to try to keep it all G-rated, but decided that that losing battle wasn't even worth fighting

Damn fucking straight its not worth it.

Glad you didn't it adds to the sense of passion! Don't want to kids to actually get as nerdy as me and listen to things like this!

SpaceSpinner2000

In our thrilling fifty-ninth episode Fox and Conrad take a break from reviewing weekly progs to reminisce on the whole of 2000 AD comics for the year 1980. It's a chance to reflect, review, and give out awards! Welcome to the 1980 Spinnies! At the end of every chronological year in our prog timeline we'll give out awards to the storylines and thrills we liked best over the last year.

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Or on your favorite podcast app!

Please let me know what you think of the episode! Also, what are your favorite moments of 2000AD for the year 1980AD?

Dandontdare

The fourth annual Spinnies! Where do the years go?

But guys, when choosing one song to represent the British charts in 1980 the best you could find was Grandma? Sheesh.  And Fox choosing an annual as top thrill? Surely the end-times are upon us!

Lobo Baggins

QuoteFiends of the Eastern Front should be a movie!

They did produce this when the hardback collected edition came out...

https://youtu.be/5cB1LWzZz8c
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: Dandontdare on 01 September, 2017, 10:06:53 AM
But guys, when choosing one song to represent the British charts in 1980 the best you could find was Grandma? Sheesh.  And Fox choosing an annual as top thrill? Surely the end-times are upon us!

It's really an amazing turn around with the Dredd annual, a testament to McManus's efforts!

I always choose a top british single from the month being covered, and count the Spinnies as a December month, so we got Super Trooper and Grandma. Maybe I should make the Spinnies song the #1 single from the year? (For '80 it would have been "Don't Stand So Close to Me") To be honest though I'll take any opportunity to do something like Grandma, a super niche pop song that can only be sung with an English accent, like when we did "Matchstalk Men and Matchstalk Cats and Dogs" for April '78. I always appreciate local color!

Dandontdare

Quote from: SpaceSpinner2000 on 01 September, 2017, 08:15:02 PM
Quote from: Dandontdare on 01 September, 2017, 10:06:53 AM

It's really an amazing turn around with the Dredd annual, a testament to McManus's efforts!

I always choose a top british single from the month being covered, and count the Spinnies as a December month, so we got Super Trooper and Grandma. Maybe I should make the Spinnies song the #1 single from the year? (For '80 it would have been "Don't Stand So Close to Me") To be honest though I'll take any opportunity to do something like Grandma, a super niche pop song that can only be sung with an English accent, like when we did "Matchstalk Men and Matchstalk Cats and Dogs" for April '78. I always appreciate local color!

I think you mean colour <ahem>  :lol:

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]