Main Menu

Space Spinner 2000AD

Started by Steve Green, 19 April, 2017, 09:18:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dandontdare

and if you fail to give a shout out to Stephen Watson of Paisley's debut letter (AKA Buttonman, above), he'll never forgive you!

There was a thread here called "Letters to the Green Dude" featuring famous people's early letters and pics, but it seems to have vanished from the archive - it's name-checked here https://forums.2000ad.com/index.php?topic=21716.msg371479#msg371479 but the link goes nowhere.

Steve Green

Ah I wondered what it was, no idea what the original was of - maybe Prince Barin from Flash Gordon?

SpaceSpinner2000

Argh how embarrassing! The 2000ad forums are so important for keeping me humble ;)
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

SpaceSpinner2000

In our thrilling sixty-first episode Fox and Conrad continue their journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with Progs 198-201 of 2000 AD, covering February of 1981. Join us as Judge Dredd fights pirates and sows the seeds of the Apocalypse War, we get into showbiz with Return to Armageddon, we meet some animal brigands in Meltdown Man, and we start an amazing new story with Strontium Dog, Portrait of a Mutant!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Or on your favorite podcast app!

Please let me know what you think of the episode!

Also check out the Mega City Book Club podcast, where this week I'm guest hosting and we're talking about the classic thrill INVASION!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

Lobo Baggins

Pity poor Pole-Axe, who came up with an awesome pun based name (he's a POLAR BEAR with an AXE! He's POLE-AXE!) thus becoming 2000 AD's second most famous homicidal polar bear, whilst simultaneously becoming the second axe-wielding bear character after Ursa from Blackhawk.

Bet he fired his agent after that.
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: Lobo Baggins on 11 September, 2017, 05:44:46 PM
Pity poor Pole-Axe, who came up with an awesome pun based name (he's a POLAR BEAR with an AXE! He's POLE-AXE!) thus becoming 2000 AD's second most famous homicidal polar bear, whilst simultaneously becoming the second axe-wielding bear character after Ursa from Blackhawk.

Bet he fired his agent after that.

I like to imagine that Pole-Axe IS Shako, like how in the Disney Robin Hood movie Little John is played by Baloo from the Jungle book. Like he'd been hanging around 2000AD central casting for a few years and Tharg took pity on him! That's why he gets his own cover, unlike the rest of the Meltdown Man cast ;)

It is rough though, Pole-Axe comes in as a "big guy" character in a strip that already has both T-Bone (a cool minotaur) and Tiger Commander (an awesome tiger dude) how can he compete?!

Dandontdare

Still loving this, guys.

One minor correction - Corn O'Connor, isn't based on cheesy gameshow host Des O'Connor, but cheesy gameshow host TOM O'Connor, who had a segment called "Name that Tune" in one of his TV comedy shows (hence, Name that Crime) - the teeth are a giveaway.

Also, whilst there are occasional cross references between the Dredd and Strontium Dog universes, it's best not to think of them co-existing in the same time-line because the history doesn't make any sense - too many nuclear wars in all the wrong years. Wagner's attitude was always "I'm the writer, I can make up anything I want to make a story work" and he's often said they are separate. The "Millsverse" (Invasion, Ro-Busters, ABC Warriors) just about fits into the Dredd timeline, if you ignore few minor inconsistencies, like how nobody in Dredd's world ever mentions Volgs.

Steve Green

What are the too many nuclear wars in all the wrong years?

Regarding the connections, other writers seem more interested in making SD part of the same universe than John does. Al Ewing in 'The Americans' and Michael Carroll in the recent one with NBK.

John seems to use it as just a bit of fun, but he is rather wanting to have it both ways - his Top Dogs story relies on Alpha's future being the same as Dredd's future - as does By Private Contract.

Dandontdare

ah, I'm not going to derail the thread by going into all that again - the topic's been done to death elsewhere, but the Britain we see in Portrait of a Mutant is only a few years after Dredd's (current) time and bears no resemblance to the Brit-Cit of Dredd's world. I suppose you could fit multiple wars into the timeline just about, but the nuclear war/post apocalyptic world scenarios in both strips do seem to be from completely different narratives.

SpaceSpinner2000

I'm definitely not planning on nitpicking or getting to crazy about the interconnectivity or causality of the various 2000AD thrills, that's not fair to the guys writing 30-some years ago who had no idea they'd have to account for it all in the distant future of 2017! I mostly mention it in the start of Portrait because I'd just read the Megazine with Kreelman and thought it was pretty neat so it was high in my mind.

Personally I tend to see all 2000AD causality the same way I see it on Doctor Who, where mentions of other stories or events are more like fun easter eggs instead of a crazy Marvel Cinematic Universe style interconnected house of cards. It'd be really neat if 27 years from now or so in Judge Dredd we start hearing reports of an assault on Upminster Castle by an army of mutant rebels, including a teenage Johnny Alpha, but that also seems like a LOT of work!

This is probably worthy of its own thread instead of here, but I've got a couple diffent cosmological models for the 2000ad universe that lets this all hang together neatly. One is "A Time Traveller Did It" another is "Tharg is Mighty and You Should Relax." I assure you this isn't going to be a huge part of our Portrait of a Mutant Coverage, instead we're counting down until Mr. McNulty arrives :D

The Legendary Shark

It's obviously all due to a dense knot of pseudo-overlapping dimensioney-wensioney timelines banging into one another.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

SpaceSpinner2000

I mean, if killing one prehistoric butterfly can change everything, imagine a bunch of time travelers killing thousands of dinosaurs for their meat! After going on awesome cowboy style dino-drives!

The Legendary Shark

Every bad ass's dna started with Old One Eye - she's the primordial Eve of destruction...

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Smith

Quote from: SpaceSpinner2000 on 11 September, 2017, 08:22:54 PM
I mean, if killing one prehistoric butterfly can change everything, imagine a bunch of time travelers killing thousands of dinosaurs for their meat! After going on awesome cowboy style dino-drives!
I imagine time travel works differently in this case.Travel created an alternate time line or something like that.

skurvy

Thought I recognised that Space Pirate... Serji X Arrogantus from Marvel Star Wars 8 (although I would have seen it in Star Wars Weekly originally).