Main Menu

Space Spinner 2000AD

Started by Steve Green, 19 April, 2017, 09:18:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhizzBang

Thanks Conrad - great to have you both back.

That bombing of hippy earth with MC1 TADs is brilliant. I like to think of it as the climax of a gradually escalating scale of violence that started with the ice cream being dropped on Melda Dreep at the beginning of Block Mania.

I like Nemesis book II now but didn't care for it when I first encountered it (3 or 4 years after publication). Torquemada is great in it but Nemesis doesn't do too much as I recall and Kevin O'Neil's touch is missed.

SpaceSpinner2000

In our thrilling seventy-eighth episode Fox and Conrad continue their journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with Progs 254-257 of 2000 AD, covering March of 1982. Join us as we roll on with the mush rush, fight back against the East Meg invaders, have a spider showdown, team up with apemen, and deal with outside interference in Mean Arena!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Or on your favorite podcast app!

Please let me know what you think of the episode!
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: WhizzBang on 08 January, 2018, 10:15:31 PM
Thanks Conrad - great to have you both back.

That bombing of hippy earth with MC1 TADs is brilliant. I like to think of it as the climax of a gradually escalating scale of violence that started with the ice cream being dropped on Melda Dreep at the beginning of Block Mania.

I like Nemesis book II now but didn't care for it when I first encountered it (3 or 4 years after publication). Torquemada is great in it but Nemesis doesn't do too much as I recall and Kevin O'Neil's touch is missed.

We're really loving the Apocalypse War and you're definitely right, the steady ramp of violence and destruction really gives the story and epic feel!

It's interesting, I think your opinion of Redondo on Nemesis is actually a pretty common one. People are down on Book 2 because it's not O'Neill, and while I can definitely see that because O'Neill's work is so amazing and distinctive I think it gives Redondo a rough deal. He's done some really neat work in book 2 that is worthy of inclusion in the larger Nemesis canon for sure! Though I'm certainly excited for the return of Kev in '83 :D
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

Lobo Baggins

Weetabix is indeed big blocks of dry wheat.  If you put cold milk and sugar on them, it tastes like sugary milk.  For some reason, whenever I went to visit my grandparents I'd be presented with a plate of three Weetabix with butter spread on them (admittedly, it was usually margarine, and on at least one occasion, lard) even though I never actually ate them...

At the risk of scrambling Fox's brains even more, it's worth noting that the whole of the Apocalypse War, including Block Mania, probably lasts under a week of Dredd-verse time (it might be as short as four days...)
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

Steve Green

8 or 9 - it mentions the 8th day just before the mission to wipe out East-Meg One.

Dandontdare

I was always amazed that the Daily Star newspaper strip managed to tell the entire story in one comic!

And something occurred to me about those TADS that hadn't before - when warped to the alternate Earth, they crack the planet wide open - so if they HAD landed on East Meg 1, then Justice Dept would have destroyed the whole planet - not a great outcome and hardly 'justice'

and Weetabix with butter? Yuck - they were unpleasant enough with milk!

The Legendary Shark

Maybe Justice Department calculated that only one or two TADs would get past the East Meg defences, or that any surviving TADs would detect a couple of TAD detonations and deactivate. Still, one Hell of a gamble!

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Colin YNWA

Quote from: SpaceSpinner2000 on 15 January, 2018, 05:31:30 AM
It's interesting, I think your opinion of Redondo on Nemesis is actually a pretty common one. People are down on Book 2 because it's not O'Neill, and while I can definitely see that because O'Neill's work is so amazing and distinctive I think it gives Redondo a rough deal. He's done some really neat work in book 2 that is worthy of inclusion in the larger Nemesis canon for sure! Though I'm certainly excited for the return of Kev in '83 :D

Yeah absolutely with you 100% on this. I yeah its not O'Neill good but damnit Redondo on Nemesis, taken on his own merits is absolutely amazing. I've waxed lyrical about it many times here before, and don't doubt I will again but Book 2 is a great story, with some astonishing art and a joy to read.

And this spiders are just so gloriously hairy!

sheridan

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 15 January, 2018, 07:47:44 PM
Quote from: SpaceSpinner2000 on 15 January, 2018, 05:31:30 AM

Yeah absolutely with you 100% on this. I yeah its not O'Neill good but damnit Redondo on Nemesis, taken on his own merits is absolutely amazing. I've waxed lyrical about it many times here before, and don't doubt I will again but Book 2 is a great story, with some astonishing art and a joy to read.

And this spiders are just so gloriously hairy!

So many great artists have worked on Nemesis down the years - I think I actually prefer Redondo's version of Novala to O'Neill's (Novala being the planet which Terrans attempted to terraform, but which outgrew the colonists).

Spikes

Quote from: Dandontdare on 15 January, 2018, 05:22:59 PM
And something occurred to me about those TADS that hadn't before - when warped to the alternate Earth, they crack the planet wide open - so if they HAD landed on East Meg 1, then Justice Dept would have destroyed the whole planet - not a great outcome and hardly 'justice'

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 15 January, 2018, 06:47:33 PM
Maybe Justice Department calculated that only one or two TADs would get past the East Meg defences, or that any surviving TADs would detect a couple of TAD detonations and deactivate. Still, one Hell of a gamble!

There's a panel showing a hospitalised Griffin being brought up to speed by Dredd  "You've launched the TADS then... You did right... better the Sov's perish with us, than rule us..."

SpaceSpinner2000

Later on when the Dredd and the Apocalypse squad fire TADs from a hijacked Sov Silo they shoot 20 and only three get through. I think they were definitely taking East Meg 1 defenses into account when they fired. Making unleashing the on the peace world al the more monstrous!

SpaceSpinner2000

In our thrilling seventy-ninth episode Fox and Conrad continue their journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with the 1982 Sci-Fi Special of 2000 AD. This Special has some fun stories featuring Judge Dredd, Rogue Trooper, and Ace Trucking, as well as some truly classic early thrills!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Or on your favorite podcast app!

Please let me know what you think of the episode!

Steve Green

Definitely Scientology in Ace Trucking.

WhizzBang

That was possibly the funniest one ever - I was sniggering away with my hand covering my mouth to stop myself laughing out loud on the train.

One of my favourite things ever said on the show was at the end of the Sam Slade Verdus story where Conrad declared it 'another successful genocide for a 2000ad character!'.

Conrad declared an interest in peoples 2000AD origin stories in this latest episode and invited listeners to write in so here is mine.

I was 9 or 10 year old Eagle reader (it was pretty good, especially the Dan Dare which was closer to the original Frank Hampsen one, and Doomlord by John Wagner) and there was a boy who lived near me who was 13 who I looked up to a bit and thought he was really cool. He told me 2000AD was far better than The Eagle and lent me the run of progs containing Judge Death Lives. I loved it and immediately took up 2000AD from prog 300 which had a free Dredd badge with it.

Thanks for the laughs guys - keep them coming.

shaolin_monkey

Awesome 2000AD Soecial episode guys! Really funny, particularly the query re MACH1's methods.

Really cool hearing you covering the Daily Dredd reprints! My apologies for giving you 'guff' about it earlier, but super-stoked to hear you may be tackling the collected volumes at some point in the future!  :D

Looking forward to the next episode - I can't wait to hear what Fox thinks of the next part of Apocalypse War!!