Main Menu

Forthcoming Thrills - 2021

Started by Dash Decent, 14 August, 2020, 12:56:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rately

I'm still looking forward to the next chapter of it, and also be interested to see if John Wagner has another story planned, or if Hershey is now solely in Rob's sandbox.

Surely at some stage the character's time is running out, and be interesting to see how it is handled.

Greg M.

Quote from: AlexF on 28 October, 2020, 10:05:48 AM
I get people being disappointed with the overall plot of Hershey - but did you really not enjoy the craft of the way it was told?
I think few would dispute Simon Fraser's talent or the objective visual appeal of his work - it's just a shame it's been employed on this deeply misguided story. To some extent, it doesn't matter how skilfully something is rendered when you actively detest what it's showing.

broodblik

Quote from: Rately on 28 October, 2020, 10:34:36 AM
I'm still looking forward to the next chapter of it, and also be interested to see if John Wagner has another story planned, or if Hershey is now solely in Rob's sandbox.

Surely at some stage the character's time is running out, and be interesting to see how it is handled.

I am sure that Hershey story-line will be in Rob's court
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

I, Cosh

I get people being disappointed with the overall plot of Hershey - but did you really not enjoy the craft of the way it was told? I can get lost in Fraser's art all day.
No. I agree that the art was absolutely stellar in places but everything else about the whole enterprise was flawed to such an extent that I couldn't enjoy it. I do always fall on the side that poor art is less damaging to a good story than vice versa.

Overall the New Year line up looks extremely weak to me. I don't enjoy Carroll's Dredd; Proteus Vex was alright but the main attraction was Henry Flint; Hershey see above; Slaine see above re story vs art; Durham Red lets see maybe a longer run will let Worley do some of that wordy horror stuff he used to be good at.
We never really die.

Link Prime

Quote from: I, Cosh on 28 October, 2020, 11:16:56 AM
I get people being disappointed with the overall plot of Hershey - but did you really not enjoy the craft of the way it was told? I can get lost in Fraser's art all day.
No. I agree that the art was absolutely stellar in places but everything else about the whole enterprise was flawed to such an extent that I couldn't enjoy it. I do always fall on the side that poor art is less damaging to a good story than vice versa.

Agree with this, and Greg's sentiment.
It is unfathomable to me that this story-line exists.

Durham Red lets see

Lets cut to the chase.
There is nowhere else for the character of Durham Red to go.
We have already seen the journey from morally ambiguous bounty hunter to Demigod Empress of the sneckin galaxy, over thousands of in-universe years.

No real interest in reading a rehash of the morally ambiguous bounty hunter days.

Richard

Hershey had a perfect send-off in Guatemala. We didn't need this story.

Link Prime

Anyone have an update on the status of the 'Regened' policy in 2021?

Will this publishing schedule affect my continued support of a fan favorite weekly comic?
We both know the answer.

Tomwe

Quote from: Link Prime on 02 November, 2020, 09:26:53 AM
Anyone have an update on the status of the 'Regened' policy in 2021?

Will this publishing schedule affect my continued support of a fan favorite weekly comic?
We both know the answer.
The announcement on 2020 came 28th November 2019, so I expect we will know soon enough.

IndigoPrime

Hershey: it's comics; it happens. Johnny Alpha had quite the send off, but subsequently got a very long run that people didn't seem miffed by, despite some painful ret-con/back from the dead shenanigans. Honestly, I quite like the fact someone who'd been deskbound almost against her will for so long gets to kick some arse and that we have an older woman in Dredd that actually looks her age, yet is kicking arse. That Wagner's happy with it too is good to know.

As for Durham Red, I see the entire Abnett run almost as an Elseworlds these days. It was so far removed from the original character that it for me can coexist with a 'contemporary' take on the character. The main issue for me is that the reboot Red was clearly supposed to fit into a larger continuity that no longer really exists, given that Strontium Dog is largely gone now. (Perhaps the Christmas episode is Matt Smith testing the water for a post-Wagner/Ezquerra take on the series though, and so that situation could be fluid.)

broodblik

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 02 November, 2020, 09:36:32 AM
Hershey: it's comics; it happens. Johnny Alpha had quite the send off, but subsequently got a very long run that people didn't seem miffed by, despite some painful ret-con/back from the dead shenanigans. Honestly, I quite like the fact someone who'd been deskbound almost against her will for so long gets to kick some arse and that we have an older woman in Dredd that actually looks her age, yet is kicking arse. That Wagner's happy with it too is good to know.

Here is the article:

http://www.comicon.com/2020/03/31/2000-ad-news-whos-headed-for-a-long-walk/

John Wagner's point out of the article:

"When discussing the new series with Matt Smith and how it might fit in with Guatemala, I suggested Hershey's death could just be a subterfuge – I had no plans for Hershey and am happy to see others take her in new directions, so there's a little clue in Guatemala, that I don't think anyone spotted, that things were not as they seemed! And who doesn't love a good old story of revenge?"
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

IndigoPrime

Ah, yes: I'd forgotten not only that Wagner was happy with this, but that he also suggested this route. I get that some people are unhappy with being hoodwinked and denied a character's good death. By the same token, I'm happy to see a new strip and — as I've stated already — a female character who's old and looks it. (Anderson is still mostly illustrated to resemble whatever hot blonde the artist currently likes the look of. And while I don't doubt future tech will help people look good for longer, she's, what, 60-odd now? Plus beyond that, having another strip with a female lead is just a good thing for 2000 AD.)

Greg M.

The series takes a strong, competent woman, who'd risen to the highest office by merit of her intelligence and willpower, and turns her into an incompetent idiot, victim of gleefully voyeuristic mutilation, desperately in need of a big man to come and save her. Yeah, that's your girl power right there.

TordelBack

No. I agree that the art was absolutely stellar in places but everything else about the whole enterprise was flawed to such an extent that I couldn't enjoy it.

Complete agree. The worst of it is that it's a good story in itself with amazing art and design, but having Hershey in it just spoils it for me beyond saving. Surely there was no shortage of not-dead characters that could have been seeking violent redemption in seedy corners of Dredd's world. My most damning verdict is that it was a worse move than bringing back Chopper.

JOE SOAP

Hershey running away from her recently rescued family —that she played no active part in saving— to chase blue energy, feels odd.

broodblik

Some exciting stuff coming next year:

https://2000ad.com/news/2000-ad-unveils-new-digital-releases-for-2021/

This is going to be digital only