Main Menu

Forum’s Favourite Thrill - Killer vs Blackhawk Round 2 Heat 02

Started by Colin YNWA, 17 January, 2022, 06:26:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Welcome to Round 2, week 1 . This is where things get really interesting. All the big hitters are in the draw and let me tell you there are some ties coming up that will get the hearts racing and the camera's out for live coverage. They will cover acres of print on the back pages. There are also ties that will barely get mentioned on their local radio news summary. Week 1 however does feel a little like a warm up however. It hasn't got any of the high profile draws I hoped it might to kick us off, but it does start to hint at what's to come...

Two new entrants in the 2nd tie of the round, though you have to wonder if Killer, one of the most generic and uninspiring (personal opinionTM) 'thrills ever would have made its way through that round if it had been drawn. It comes up against a fondly remembered thrill that if you re-read you see just how bonkers it all was. A disjointed mess or an early classic?:

Killer - more info

Vs

Blackhawk - more info

Just reply in this thread naming your favourite thrill of these two series at the beginning of your post (or use Bold tags so I can spot it easily) and say what you like about these wonderful stories after that.

Match ends early on the morning of Thursday 20th January  and the winner gets a place in Round 3 (of 9!!!).

What on Earth is ALL of this?

For those that need 'um and can be bothered to follow 'um there's some simple rules

Any questions, just ask as ever - and have FUN!

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Huey2

AlexF

No argument here - Killer is weirdly bland for a strip about a drunken space gladiator with a cool face mask.
Blackhawk is never drunk and doesn't wear a cool mask, but his gladiator battles were way more fun, and the his soul gets sucked out and he goes on some seriously WEIRD adventures.
If I'm honest I rate his Roman Britain-bound adventures from Tornado better (which are in the collected edition), but they don't count here do they?
Still, the 2000AD portion of his strip is more than enough to disptach today's opponent.

Blackhawk.

abelardsnazz

Colin YNWA

Quote from: AlexF on 17 January, 2022, 08:24:28 AM
If I'm honest I rate his Roman Britain-bound adventures from Tornado better (which are in the collected edition), but they don't count here do they?

As ever with these things I have no control of what folks really include in their considerations but my guidelines suggest just include stories that have appeared in the Prog and Meg were stories cross over from any other comic - but ya know how the heck will I or anyone else know!

rogue69

Blue Cactus

It has to be Blackhawk for me. Not for any nostalgia, because I only read it a few years ago. I fell in love with Azpiri's art on the Tornado stuff and Belardinelli is incredible as always. I also kind of prefer the more grounded Tornado series but the 2000ad version is bizarre and a lot of fun.

Barrington Boots

You're a dark horse, Boots.

paddykafka

Blackhawk.

I'll be left with a "Daddy or Chips" dilemma if I have to choose between him and Aquila at a future tourney.

Southstreeter

Funt Solo

Two gladiators battle it out! Madoc Blade vs. Black Hawk!

Blackhawk yells "Look out, Madoc - there's a Kraakhan Fear-Beast behind you!" Madoc, rather dim-witted, glances around, leaving the way open for Blackhawk to skewer him through his mouth grille. As his life blood pumps out onto the stadium floor, his motorized pizza-cutters grind slowly to a stop.

Ghordle and, indeed, mardle.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Link Prime

Magnetica

A thrill I have absolutely no memory of, versus one of the most memorable thrills ever.

No contest: Blackhawk all the way.