Main Menu

The state of comics

Started by damnandblast, 25 January, 2006, 04:18:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

damnandblast

Apologies if it's already been noted but an article in The Times about Rich Johnston's The Flying Friar concluded with some interesting numbers:

- Sales of graphic novels in Britain are worth an estimated ?7.5 million. Children?s comics account for ?2 million and adult comics ?5.5 million

- Sales have increased by more than 25 per cent every year since 2001

- In the US the comics market grew by more than 44 per cent last year and accounted for 6 per cent of adult fiction

- Harlequin, which owns Mills & Boon, published its first graphic novels last month

- The most expensive comic is Action Comics No 1, the book that launched Superman. It sells for $485,000 (?274,000)

I guess there's hope yet.

Nigel

Link: www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-2005007_1,00.html

The Adventurer

Yes, it does seem that comics are coming back from the brink.

Then I see Red Sonia #2's bazillian varient covers and weep for the future.

No one ever learns. :(

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

johnnystress

Tell me more about this cover- with pictures please:)

Satanist

I'm guessing you read the word Brazilian just like I did.

I would've preferred that.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

The Adventurer

Varient covers as a rule, just bug the heck out of me.

Well...maybe not the covers themselves, the people who buy EVERY VARIENT of the same issue because they think haveing a complete set will be worth something.

THE COLLECTORS MARKET IS DEAD! DEAD DEAD DEAD!!! ARG!!!

Is it so hard too spend your hard earned money on...*gasp* New Comics?! Maybe you'll find something new you might actualy like! WHAT A CONSEPT!!

*pant* *pant*

Ok, Rant over.

note: 'You' doesn't mean you. It means people who do silly things with their money.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

johnnystress

ahh, i see. I though there was a sacuy variant cover of that comic.

I agree, i hate them too

Recently I got the rather exceallant Doomed only rto see a much nicer cover later on..

grr

http://www.austinbooks.com/images/DoomedMag1JG.jpghttp://www.austinbooks.com/images/DoomedMag1AW.jpg">

The Amstor Computer

Is Doomed actually out then? I've had it on my pull list for ages, but still no sign of my copy - can you guess which arsebitingly annoying store I get my comics from?

DavidXBrunt

Heh heh. Yep about and clogging up comic stores even as we speak. Type. Whatever.

johnnystress

hahaha!  Its out ages! it must be up to issue 3 now! but funny enough my comic shop, with the intitials F and P, doesnt seem to keep stuff on the shelves long enough for me to buy it

hope to find back issues

it really is good by the way

the comic, not the shop

Art

The most expensive comic is Action Comics No 1, the book that launched Superman. It sells for $485,000 (?274,000)

I see that more of a sign of idiocy and nostalgia than a vibrant comics culture. Comics - read them and burn them, I say!

Quirkafleeg

Comics - don't read them and slab them! And buy every variant cover!