Main Menu

Jodie Whittaker to leave Doctor Who.

Started by IAMTHESYSTEM, 29 July, 2021, 03:16:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paddykafka

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 31 July, 2021, 05:09:05 PM
In spite of Richard E. Grant being well in the money, as the kids say, appearing in a woeful Star Wars film and a half decent episode of an otherwise middling MCU show, the man has to his credit expressed genuine interest in giving his version of the Doctor another shot. In all but the sense of self respect it would be a step backwards for the chaps career but still, i'd love to see him be given a third second shot.

Oh yes, that's a good call, Hawkmumbler. I've been a fan of Grant ever since Withnail & I. And as his co-star in that classic movie, Paul McGann, has gone on to play the 8th incarnation of the Doctor, wouldn't it be fun to see both actors team up again? (Except instead of being drunken actors wandering about the countryside, they would be come eccentric doctors wandering about the Universe.  :) )

Leigh S

The problem with Richard E Grant is he did it in Scream of the Shalka and I found that it was.... erm... disappointing to say the least!

IndigoPrime

I'd happily see one-off miniseries of some kind include those actors, or McGann rock up in some kind of crossover event. But Richard E. Grant tends to play Richard E. Grant. I don't want him being the Doctor for the same reason I don't want Richard Ayoade to take on the role. Also, Grant is 64—far too old for the role*. (Ayoade is arguably too old also, at 44.)

* Capalidi was, what, 55 when he first appeared? And although I like the actor and some of his run (notably the final series), plenty of people said it tanked Doctor Who merch, which is a consideration for the show's ability to function and exist. Casting a 64 year old now, who wouldn't be on screen until he is 66 or older seems a good way to kill off the show forever.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Leigh S on 03 August, 2021, 12:58:14 PM
The problem with Richard E Grant is he did it in Scream of the Shalka and I found that it was.... erm... disappointing to say the least!

Scream of the Shalka actually being good is the weird, esoteric hill I always seem to find myself standing on.

MumboJimbo

I'd like to see Diane Morgan (of Philomena Cunk fame) play the next doctor, in a complete dry, sardonic way without an ounce of sentimentality. She'd be crotchety and barely tolerate her companions, with whom she never travels by choice, but there's always plot reasons why they're there. In fact she'd barely be able to remember any of their names. After the emotional rollercoaster of each episode, our hapless companions will think that they've finally made some emotional connection to her, only to find the doctor forget to wait for them when she leaves in the Tardis.

Richard

wedgeski

Quote from: MumboJimbo on 03 August, 2021, 02:24:05 PM
I'd like to see Diane Morgan (of Philomena Cunk fame) play the next doctor
That is a helluva shout. I know her mostly from Motherland and that tired, no-effs-given personality would work perfectly.

Colin YNWA

Yeah she would be fantastic and I can just imagine the heads exploding now too!

pauljholden

Quote from: wedgeski on 03 August, 2021, 04:17:00 PM
Quote from: MumboJimbo on 03 August, 2021, 02:24:05 PM
I'd like to see Diane Morgan (of Philomena Cunk fame) play the next doctor
That is a helluva shout. I know her mostly from Motherland and that tired, no-effs-given personality would work perfectly.

god, you've GOT to watch her in the tv series Mandy - she's like bizarre, human cartoon - like a nihilistic mr bean.

But, I'd hoped that personality was what we were getting with capaldi (his insults to clara, etc) but then it got sentimental/schamltzy (and felt like someone asked capaldi what he liked doing "playing guitar!" "Ok, not sure how it fits, but we'll do that it'll be fab!", so I just dunno how the beeb would hold on to the edge.

IndigoPrime

That speech at the end of Capaldi's run was cringeworthy. It went on forever and felt like the antithesis of what is Doctor was all about—although it was off course a Moffat blog post about what he thought the character should be. Awful. I kind of hope Whitakker's doesn't do something so overblown. "Bye, then!"

GordonR

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 03 August, 2021, 05:44:41 PM
That speech at the end of Capaldi's run was cringeworthy. It went on forever and felt like the antithesis of what is Doctor was all about—although it was off course a Moffat blog post about what he thought the character should be. Awful. I kind of hope Whitakker's doesn't do something so overblown. "Bye, then!"

The speechifying definitely got more blatant, self-indulgent and pompous as the Moffat era went on.

pauljholden

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 03 August, 2021, 05:44:41 PM

Sometimes Doctor Who becomes terribly self-indulgant and actorly and is usually more awful for it.

I suspect it's a show that the cast and crew feels it can lend itself to "luvviness" and so we end up with stuff like that.

abelardsnazz

Quote from: broodblik on 03 August, 2021, 01:38:46 PM
Please not Richard E Grant.

Richard E Grant played the Great Intelligence, not that previous roles stopped Colin Baker or Peter Capaldi. If I could choose a Richard for the role though, I'd go for Richard Ayoade, he'd bring an appropriate level of sarcasm and not too many histrionics. And Mark Gatiss as showrunner - a superfan, regrettably Moffat didn't share his enthusiasm for bringing the Ice Warriors back, but this is a duo I would definitely tune in for.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: abelardsnazz on 03 August, 2021, 07:54:51 PM
And Mark Gatiss as showrunner

Gatiss at least understands the importance of an undercurrent of horror in a 'kids' show — kids like to have the piss scared out of them.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.