Main Menu

New Poll: "MInd the Oranges, Marlon" - Be honest now, did you get the fact that it was a fabulous jo

Started by 2000AD Online, 02 September, 2004, 03:38:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Byron Virgo

"No every death... but they do reoccur in different parts of the trilogy"

It's bollocks, isn't it?

Moose

yes...they were set dressing...it's on the dvd for funk's sake

Adrian Bamforth

Never even seen The Godfather but if it is full of oranges that also explains the pretentious use of oranges in the film-within-a-film that was The Comic Strip Presents' 'Strike'.

ADE

The Enigmatic Dr X

It's not ORANGES per se that is in every death scene, but something orange in colour. Only the most imnportant ones get oranges. For some it's just the flicker of a match or summink.

I think orange is associated with death or summink in Italy.
Lock up your spoons!

Mr D

The main 'oranges' are from the scene where ~Brando is shot. Oranges pop up there and it has sod all to do with the set dresser - it was in Puzo's original novel.

That's also the one the reference....er....refers to, obviously.

And the colour orange was definitely used intentionally by the second movie, probably the first...

Moose

yeah, but oranges, and more usually lemons, pop up in all puzo's novels...the bloke was fixated with 'em.

the whole thing got a bit apocryphal and too much was read into it by film buffs. it ain't m. night shaylamnamnam or whatever, where they use red all the time in the sixth sense to denote dead people. coppola denies a deliberate link and said the whole thing was bollocks.

anyway back to the point, the reference in dr and quinch can obviously work on more than one level. when i first read it it was just a funny line, but now i can look at it and see the reference and say, well that works on two levels then...it certainly didn't spoil it for me then, and it won't now.

alan moore, work of genius, most amusing, happy to leave it at that.

VampiraJen

i voted no, but i get a warm fuzzy feeling every time i recognise a famous quote from a poem or something.

though i think the last time i did was bec and kawl: my mommy always said there were no monsters, no real ones, but there are....

...damn that newt.  damn james cameron.

Dudley

The Hive Mind Did Not Get This Joke.  And Is Slightly Embarrassed By This Fact.

House of Usher

I'm not in the least embarassed. I was 13 when D.R. & Quinch Go to Hollywood appeared, and I haven't had the time since then to sit through any or all of the Godfather movies. They're on my 'to do' list.
STRIKE !!!

paulvonscott

I wanted to vote, but found the additional wording on the questions made it impossible for me to answer in good conscience.

Tiplodocus

Ah that made me laugh out loud, PVS.

If anyone is worried by the extra wording then don't be. It was just a feeble attempt to make the YES/NO answers seem less dry.  Please ignore the extra text.

Glad to see I'm in the majority for once though...
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

paulvonscott

VampiraJen

i liked additional wording.