Main Menu

prog1485

Started by N0FX, 24 April, 2006, 06:16:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

"Did think it was silly but tend to put all quibbles aside and just roll with it. I'm simple like that."

Well, I wouldn't have had an issue with it myself, if another character (and I'm afraid I couldn't work out exactly who it was supposed to be) hadn't popped up immediately afterwards and said "Ooh ... Hello ... Aimee Nixon, undercover judge" and thus signposting the aforementioned INCREDIBLE STUPIDITY.

No ... sorry -- there's no reason, script-wise, why they couldn't have used fake IDs and still been made. Story ruined, for me.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Trout

Greetings, shitehawks!

A decent prog with a good, strong cover!

It was nice to see Guthrie back. I enjoyed the Dredd, as well as Random, which is really creative stuff.
The 86ers picked up well, IMO. Decent art, too.

I'm very pleased ABC is over. I just didn't get into it. They kept getting killed/damaged/brought back so easily that it was all simply uninteresting.

Low Life has lost me a bit. The art's a bit impenetrable. I had problems following the last page.

- Trout

Proudhuff

Already the power of sprog has sapped the Mighty Trouts brain!! How the mighty have fallen! Quenn B will be laughing her socks off.
That's how they grow big you know, sprogs, sapping the strength of the parents until you can't resist that pester power

Sprogfather Huffy

DDT did a job on me

Grant Goggans

So, does Tharg say what's returning next week?  The VCs?

N0FX

"So, does Tharg say what's returning next week? The VCs?"

Nope, but if Synnamon appears again I don't know what I'll do. Maybe it'll be "Judge Gutherie - Mandroid" but I doubt it.
I'm hoping for VCs but given the recent big marketing putsch my money is on "Legends of The Rogue Trooper" and "Droid Life".

st

You think Mills missed an opportunity to give the ABC's a revamp and replace some of the tired characters (Steelhorn, Pineapples and mekquake) with the Shadow's Deus Ex Machina, Bootleg and Doctor Maniacus maybe??
I gave up caring whether they lived or died in about book 1...

mechanix81

I don't get it. I aways see people having a go at the ABC warriors on this site (and god knows, its not my favourite strip), but then the ratings for the thrill elsewhere on the site remain consistently high. Who the hell is voting for this? I mean, book 3's got consistently higher rating than most Caballistics stories. Can anyone explain?
Dawn of the first day. 72 hours remain.

Dudley

I've heard somewhere that a few deranged Rennie haters stalk this site, voting down anything he has been involved with.

Dark Jimbo

Ahem. The ABCs doth rock, and always have. Verily. (Well, except for Kronicles of Khaos). Thou shalt not mock or profane them, or there shall be a multitude of Big Jobs done unto thee.

But seriously, their survival was never all that gauranteed. History bears out the fact that they have died, can die, and will probably do so again. Their line-up has been fairly fluid, for a comic - Happy Shrapnel, The Mess, Mad Ronn, Hitaki, Terri, Ro-Jaws, Morrigun; all have fallen by the wayside.

And it's not as though they haven't changed or evolved, either, as is borne out by the last panel of this book. I actually agree that Mr Mills missed a trick by not killing off at least one member here - I was hoping for Dogtag, The Doc or most of all Bootleg to join the team at the end - but he did the next best thing, realising that in all probability no-one expects them to really die, so just putting them through the grinder instead, doing as much as he could to put them in jeopardy without feeling the need to kill them.
@jamesfeistdraws

Dark Jimbo

So, does Tharg say what's returning next week? The VCs?

Dunno about next prog, but the week after, Prog 1487, Nikolai Dante is back.
@jamesfeistdraws

st

Hey Jimbo -- weren't Mad Ronn and Hitaki, my favourite robots from back in the day, members of the Terminator Hit Squad and not full blown ABC Warriors? My take is at least the Kronicles of Kaos were moving the story on from the Bisley stint. My main gripe with this run is that its a shallow dark version of the group throw down... does nothing for the greater story, hence the need to kill a few and move on with some new dynamics. Anyway thats my 2 cents woth... and Caballistics rocks!

philt

If the ABC Warriors never returned would we be any worse off? I don't think so. It's long past its sell by date and should be given a decent burial somewhere along with Samantha Slade, anything even remotely related to Rogue Trooper, Sinster Dexter, Slaine and that Spaced knock off that Tharg keeps inexplicably producing - have the creators got a photo of Tharg in a compromising position I wonder? (Tharg out dogging. Now there is an image)  

Funt Solo

Mad Ronn and Hitaki were members - they went to the end of the world party with Nemesis and featured in a Star Pin-Up (remember those, Tharg, you big green bogie?) that said "The A.B.C. Warriors".
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Oddboy

Awful stock pose cover....

Rest of the prog was aces though.
Guthrie... Lobster... Rafe... Nixon... yay

ABC Warriors - didn't understand how Joe Pineapples wasn't dead at the end. He just stood up again? Apart from that, Aces.
Better set your phaser to stun.

Funt Solo

Cover: Someone already pointed out the incredible campness of a leather-clad man in a gaudy uniform asking if I can handle his giant dildo, whilst also indicating with his thumb that we should go around the back.  I guess all that pent-up sexual frustration has finally got the best of Dredd.  Imagine my disappointment when the story inside contained no gaysploitation whatsoever.

Judge Mechaguthmo: Nice entrance from The Guth, and a good start to a Death Aid-stylee plot-a-like.  However - pedantic me doesn't understand Guth's new weaponry.  He fires a rocket, which then turns into a big blue beam - does it disintegrate one of the punks?  We never see the result.  Then he does a blue electronux on Punk #2, which is fair enough.  The tranq foxed me , though:  is it a bullet that hovers above a perp's right ear and knocks them out from there?  

Lobster Whambam: It took me a while to get into the swing of this series - but this episode in particular was good fun.  I'm not sure what's going on with his zombie-arm, so maybe I need to do a quick re-read.

ABC Warriors: Once I realised that this was just Pat playing with his toy box, it was easier to accept.  The visual punchline, with most of the Warriors being totally wrecked, was funny.  Mongrel's got no chin, Blackblood is inside-out, Hammerstein has no ears and Joe's still trying to look cool, despite a large hole between his eyes.

the 86ers: "Hi, my name's Rogue Exposition."

Low Life:  Very amusing parody of conventions.  Am now nervous of life imitating art:  "Sign it to Funt Solo?  You're the little turd that slated Asylum II on the messageboards!"  Aye, but I love Family.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++