Main Menu

prog1485

Started by N0FX, 24 April, 2006, 06:16:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

What I didn't get about Dredd is why Justice Dept. funds don't enable Guth to get half-decent body parts. But hey-ho.

Jim_Campbell

"However - pedantic me doesn't understand Guth's new weaponry. He fires a rocket, which then turns into a big blue beam - does it disintegrate one of the punks? We never see the result. Then he does a blue electronux on Punk #2, which is fair enough. The tranq foxed me , though: is it a bullet that hovers above a perp's right ear and knocks them out from there? "

Ah ... that's because those two pages are actually a very badly designed spread! It makes some (but not actually that much more) sense when you realize that it reads across ...

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Funt Solo

Oh - cheers, Jim - I see it now.  His blue-blast must be a stun-ray, I guess, and now I can see what I thought was a rocket is really the stun-thing, and it has a pointy tip that is sticking into the perp's heid.

If ever a layout was in need of a little arrow telling me which way to go, this was it.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

shane05

'what does phallic mean Miss?'

Good lord. And he's asking if you can handle it. Thats too much. Was that intentional?

wadew1

Dredd has been billed as the HARDEST ONE THERE IS for years now. You guys should have seen this coming!

As for Lobster's arm, I guess he clipped it off and stuck it through the rubble?

Satanist

Why is Cliff stuck with drawing stock Dredd covers? Get im on Dredd within the prog, within I say!

Dredd - I also read the spread the wrong way but then realised and read it correctly. This whole 1st part was all about revealing Guth and to my mind succeeded. Roll on plot next week. And as for that spread after much scrutiny I've decided that if the art was sale then I'd buy that for a dollar! or a bit more.

Lobstah - Luverley art with a bit more going on this week. Ooh with added naughty words. Tut!

ABC - Some storming art with a mental script. I don't care if there were no big changes I've enjoyed this for what it was.

86 - Nice touch with Rogue but why is this even set in that universe. This could have been a great intro to a new series without all that baggage. Anyhoo wont mind seeing it back.

Low Life - Have to agree that it seems well thick of someone undercover to go announcing themselves. Kind of left me going "Huh".

Damage report actually made me snigger. It was the spines dammit!!! A good prog but if I don't get some Origins info soon I'm gonna explode!
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Thursday

Dredd: Niiice.  Wasn't expecting to see Guthrie up and about for some time.  Hopefully this'll be more than a Robocop ripoff, but even if it isn't we'll still have CyberGuth stomping perps.  And that's gotta be a good thing.

ABCs: Eh?  I'm confuseled.  Didn't they get squished by the big tank thing last week?  If they've been rebuilt after that, why do they still have all the damage from before?  Unless they were rebuilt to their exact pre-tank but post-everything else state of knackeredness, and why would someone do that?  But hey, who cares?  Sweet final panel, too.

Lobster Random: Cool.  Nice art, violence, jokes, more violence, severed arm.  All is good here.

86ers: Again I say, eh?  This feels like it's ending when it's only just finished the first act: the scene is set, the players introduced, and then... end.  

Low Life: going to jump on the 'why no fake names?' bandwagon here, but with the caveat that Aimee's so distinctive she'd probably be recognised regardless.  Which kinda begs the question 'why no disguises?', I suppose.  But anyway.  Nice art and some cracking jokes.  I've got a nagging suspicion that this Blackbird fellow may turn out to be the journalist, but that seems sort of obvious in a 'what's the biggest twist we can pull' kinda way.

Overall: Good stuff, but generally fails to fulfill the homoerotic promise of the cover; new readers may feel cheated.  

Funt Solo

:: "Didn't they get squished by the big tank thing last week?"

Yes, and then they stood up.  My toy-box analogy holds true.  Just imagine that Pat has a big bunch of robot toys that he's playing with in a sandpit in his garden (and jotting down notes as he goes), and suddenly it all makes sense.

"Ha ha - then the big tank [an iron] squashes all the warriors [some old Star Wars storm troopers] - ha ha - but wait [gets out can of lighter fuel] - here comes Steelhorn [lights trails of fuel] - boom - shaz-zoom - and it's okay, look, [gets rid of iron, stands storm troopers back up] - yeah, spread the word!"

"Paaat!  Paaaat!  Come back in now, your tea's ready!"

"Awww!"
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Dudley

http://www.2000adonline.com/covers/2000ad/mediumres/1485.jpg">

Here's a competition for you - can you suggest alternative captions that could have adorned this cover?

E.g. (last 2 courtesy of Mechanix)

- Suck On This, Creep!
- Double Ended Justice, Mega City One style...
- Dredd: Whats Black, Hard, 18 inches long and has your name on it, perp?

Satanist

"Roll up, roll up. For just 5 creds I guarantee the most hard core judge on judge action ever! "
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

IndigoPrime

:: The ABCs... their survival was never all that gauranteed.
:: History bears out the fact that they have died, can die, and
:: will probably do so again. Their line-up has been fairly fluid

:: Happy Shrapnel
Fair enough for this one. Written out off-page, although one might argue he was the least interesting member.

:: The Mess
Unless you talk of "Steelhorn/The Mess", in which case, he's been out, but is back again.

:: Mad Ronn, Hitaki
Introduced and killed almost immediately.

:: Terri
Introduced and killed in the same arc.

:: Ro-Jaws
What happened to Ro-Jaws? Did he stay behind as a bar-man on some planet? Still alive, IIRC, and never a "true" member anyway.

:: Morrigun
A sort of long-running member who was killed.

However, from the above, it's clear that we've only lost one "main" member of the ABC Warriors (Happy), and even he could be classed in the same space as the others who've only been present in one arc.

To be honest, Mills' writing in the recent arc doesn't unduly bother me, but it does smack a little of Millar-style indestructibility, removing the tension. (Then again, perhaps he's setting up a surprise for the future, where one of them does get wiped out, despite the fact we all think that won't happen.)

Dudley

BANG!

- Bloody hell!  I just managed to shoot Joe Pineapples in the head!

- Is he dead?

- Dunno.  

- Shoot him again.

BANG!  BANG!  BANG!  BANG!  

- Use the deuterium hollowpoint explosive oil thickening brain destroying nanotechnological nuclear bullets!

BAROOM!  BAROOM!  BAROOM!  BAROOM!  

- He looks pretty dead.  Check his life signs.

- No brain activity.  No oil pump.  No electricity.  No magical fields.  

- OK, I'll disintegrate his head.  No - wait.  I'll programme the disintegrator to transport the individual atoms of his head and brain to parts of the universe as far from each other as it's physically possible to go.  Then I'll melt down his body, sculpting the metal into a nice art deco table decoration.  The legs and arms I'll smash into tiny pieces and bury in this liquid unbreakable cement.  Now I'll fire all of this into the heart of a nearby star.

- That's him definitely dead, then.  No, wait, what's this?

- It's his finger!  Well, I'll jump up and down on it until it's reduced to a pancake, then eat it.  *ronch*

- OK, no question, he's dead.

BANG!  

- Joe Pineapples!  Bu-but how?

BANG!  BANG!  BANG!  

- I'm too cool to die.

END

Artificial Idiot

"Written out off-page, although one might argue he was the least interesting member."

You're talking madness, sir! MADNESS!

Happy Shrapnel was aces, I was sad to see him go... Even though we never saw him go, per-se. Either way, I'd take him over Ro-Jaws anyday.

Carlsborg Expert

So wats rocking n whats shocking?

DJ Iklined to drink heavily, be leery and poke girls in the bomb is here to tells ya!

Dredd; Good going Guthrie, nice threads from the house of Richardson! Whact you feep oiling it, yeah tha's right lube all over babee!While weez at it can Dredd get a bit of a polish for his dayschnitzel coz its looking a bit flaky on der cover there. And It Could be FATAL!

Not sure Guth's too glad to be back but the guys a frikkin' hero. Welcome to the House of Pain Dreddheads.

Lobs with the spiders in the trees on a bad hump, boy he gets through hisself don't he?

Whats widdthe face slippage on Enemy number one in the ABC, easy as one two three. I get knocked down still I'm gonna get up again an' pudda cap in yo' sorry ass!

86ers are the pick and mixers this week I cout 86 stories rolled into one. Is there something to here telling us this is going to be a long runnig series?When is Tharg going to start dishing out answers to Rennies Blood Trails, Cabbalistics and now*6ers

And Low Life looks so cool /lacks somewhat in depth but what the hey; I'm going to Bristol tooled up to the nines. See you on a spit!
DJ Inlkinedto drinktomuchgetleeryandpokegirlsinthebomb; out.

Nah I'm kidding you.Last yea was a real eyeopener. Your not all uptight fraggers who need a rocket up your personalities.

2000AD day dee day dee day! 2000ADeedaydeeadydeay.

Devons Daddy

im not sure about recent covers,
last one shite, this one,ummm maybe get a few new readers in MAYBE,so worth a try.

contents. OUTSTANDING.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!