Main Menu

1487 - Sea Change

Started by DavidXBrunt, 08 May, 2006, 06:26:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidXBrunt

Suh-poy-uh-ler-ers.

Cover - A lovely retro cover from the John Burns. Beautiful artwork and we're luckt to have him working for 2k. Simon Fraser might disagree there but I don't.

Dredd - I'm loving the art on this, the last panel in particular, but thinking Dredd giving Guthrie too much leeway with the new power thing. I sense trouble ahead there. Still this is quality Dredd and I'm glad we've got more episodes to come.

Lobster Random - I wasn't too taken with the first run but thought the audience appreciation alone meant it deserved more episodes. I can now see exactly why people liked it. Last week ended with the best jaw dropping imge since the cliff hanger episode 2 of Cabals 'Moving in'. Spurriers script is inventive and funny and if Pratchett has already done the Miss Teak joke we can forgive him that.

Nikolai Dante - Like it's never been away. Of course I'd have liked the last few runs to be closer together but as Tharg promises this arc to wrap up over the enxt few months at least we're guaranteed more for now. The Centre spread is lovely, the plot looks fun, and perhaps we'll see more Dante in the future with multiple artists bringing us the next chapter in Dantes life. Last year we had a dozen episodes in a run, perhaps we'll see the same again leading up to 1500?

The V.C.'s - I'm still enjoying this series, sorry this is the last run. Nice art, clear story telling.

Low Life - Not enjoying this as much as I should be. I thought the Christmas episode was great and hoped it would match that standard. Still, it's not actually bad and the last page is fun.

A quality prog all round.

Megadeth

Haven't read mine yet as it arrived soaking wet : (

Any chance if I call subs they'll send me out a fresh one?

DavidXBrunt

They have done that for me in the past. Mine got damaged when being stuck through the letter box.

My prog, wils.

IndigoPrime

Likewise, annoyingly. Well done, Royal Mail! Idiots.

The Amstor Computer

And a cover scan...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/buttonman/prog1487.jpg">

ming

Wow.  That's really nice.  Roll on tomorrow, for Tuesday is Norway-sub-delivery-day!  Saw John Burns here in Bergen before Christmas (at Raptus, quite a nice low-key comics event here).  Here he's best known for his work on Modesty Blaise, which is all anyone wanted him to talk about.

LARF

Cover of the Year. Beautiful.

scutfink

I can't look at that cover without thinking:

YO!
Yah-yo, yah-yo!
Dreaming!
(Don't give it up, Luffy!)
Dreaming!
(Don't give it up, Zolo!)
Dreaming!
(Don't give it up, Nami!)
Dreaming!
(Don't give it, give it up, give it up, give it up, give it up, give it-- NO!)
Here's how the story goes, we find out
?Bout a treasure in the Grand Line, there's no doubt
The Pirate whose eye is on it, he'll sing,
"I'll be King of the Pirates, I'm gonna be King!"
Yah-yo, yah-yo, yah-yo, oh-oh!
His name is Luffy
(That's Monkey D. Luffy)
(Gonna be King of the Pirates!)
He's made of rubber
(How did that happen?)
(Yo-ho-ho, he took a bite of Gum-Gum!)
Yah-yo, yah-yo!
His name's Zolo, he's just like a samurai
And a L-A-D-Y Nami's not shy
The Pirate Crew comin' through doin' their thing*
With the King of the Pirates, he's gonna be King!*
Yah-yo, yah-yo, yah-yo, oh-oh!
Set sail for One Piece, it's the name of the treasure
(In the Grand Line)
Yah-yo, yah-yo
Set sail for One Piece!

I can't believe I'm saying this, but maybe I watch too many cartoons...

Otherwise, not being a subscriber monkey, I can'tcomment 'til Thursday.

See you then, then...

LARF

"Tuesday is Norway-sub-delivery-day!"

You get your copies delivered by submarine or submersable then?

The Amstor Computer

...and for me, yet another reminder of how much more I prefer John Burns' linework to the painted strip he's been turning out over the past few years. Compare the delicate, well-defined portraits on the cover to their painted counterparts inside - no contest as far as I'm concerned.

Perhaps if he were to return to the line & wash (I think that's the right term...) work he started out with on Dante? It would seem to be the best of both worlds - the definition & grace of his linework with the striking colours of his painted work.

Dark Jimbo

DANTE IS BAAAACCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!
@jamesfeistdraws

Rio De Fideldo

Can someone pay John Burns the difference so we can see more black and white pen and ink work like the pirates faces on this cover.

His pen line has been lost under paint in the colour work he has done in the last couple of years.

IMO.  

Carlsborg Expert

yep, I'd agree Rio. His penwork is charming whereas his paintwork becomes smaltsy.

Look! Its the mutant gang leader from The Dark Knight Returns!

Sea Change is also a name of Becks most recent album which is a return to minimal accoustic sounds.

radiator

Can anyone bring me up to speed on Dante's (post War) adventures? I only vaguely remember stuff like 'The Romanov job'.

Keef Monkey

Quite liked the cover but not overly excited by it, although the Dante episode was good. That mutant guy has a lot of comic potential!

Dredd was great this week, particularly the prison break and suicide implants. Very cool.

Lobster is still full of great ideas and it's nice to see a proper battle kicking off in V.C.s, which I still love.

Low Life was great, with a good "Swakkk" kick, and the last page was one of the highlights of the prog.