Main Menu

Prog 1492: Ghoul Britannia!

Started by Dark Jimbo, 12 June, 2006, 06:17:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Amstor Computer

Hang on - was I the only one on this thread to get a free Abaddon sampler book & bookmark?

Very cool little gift, and a great way of encouraging current readers to try out the Abaddon line (provided they like the samples, of course!)

Dudley

Great free gift!
Cover of the Year!  (It's the third time I've pronounced this already this year)
Tharg does down the World Cup shocker!
Great Dez Skinn comment!  (Hope this continues for another 46 weeks)
Decent Dredd with rather less good artwork! (Some very odd perspectives on the human body on page 5 in particular)
Very good Harry Kipling!  (As good as a good episode of Ace Trucking)
Extraordinarily dull episode of the VC's! (zzzzzzz)
Cracking old-fashioned adventure in the Red Seas! (It wouldn't work as well with a different line-up, but here it stands out from the other strips really well - great scheduling)
Ramped up action and a great concept in London Calling! (This could be one of the great high points in 2000AD's pantheon of wierd one-offs)
Great Scott! (As in letter from...)

And a bookmark!!!

How can this be a prog in the 1490's?  This should be a ten-week run of crap commissioned by mistake and held over until the editor was forced to run it!  If 1500 is to improve on this line-up, my head's going to have exploded by the end of the summer!

Props to da Tharg!  Peace!!!

McNulty

And if I may, my comments...

Droid Life: A laugh and a sexual innuendo!

Dredd: Comming along nicely. I eagerly await next week's episode.

Harry Kipling (Deceased): The God Killer is back again. This story has the potential of being very good, but it also could go very wrong. They really don't want to go down the Christian route. I noticed a modified Ichthus in this week's episode.

The V.C.s: I never believed it would be that easy to get Gaek'rr to safety. Trust the Polity to get others to do their dirty work for them.

The Red Seas: I'm very much enjoying this story arc! A little quieter after last weeks battle, but good nonetheless.

London Falling: I'm finding this a little hard to get into, what with the moral ambivilance, and the references to London folklore that haven't been properly explained to us out-of-towners.

All in all, I enjoyed this prog. I did get the sampler as well. Oh, the joys of subscription! :)

paulvonscott

In other news... Citizen Scott recieved an Alan Moore Shocking Futures graphic novel today.  

When asked how he felt, he simply said 'Zarjazz' and dissapeared inside his tinfoil pyramid to 'focus the thrill power'.

And now, over to Wendy for the weather...

Bart Oliver

That cover really is a superior piece of artwork.

Saw it in the the most unexpected of places today at the beginning of a works meeting, in the possession of a co-worker I've known for about two years.

"Oh yeah I've been reading it for years, I subscribe now.."

I won't get my copy until Thursday, such is the (tardy) distribution to OK Comics here in Leeds.

I could gush a while longer about how it's so reminiscent of the visually arresting classics of yesteryear..

But I'll stop at superb ;)

Obviously you're not a golfer.

Trout

Bloody splendid prog!

I liked every story, but I'm especially loving London Falling. It's properly atmospheric. Just what the prog needs!

- Trout

ming

A tip top prog (again).  Doesn't it just make for a perfect summer?

Free gift Before I even get to the prog, I'd just like to say *yay* for the Abaddon bookmark and sampler.  I've yet to read the sampler, but I'll settle in a comfy chair with a beer later and get to it.
Cover Another lovely, eye-catching (*plop* there it goes..) cover.  Great stuff.
Droid Life Heh. Look out P14, Lobster Random's after your girlfriend.
Dredd Action packed, and the body count is a-risin'.  Who are the mysterious Yuri and Anatoly?  Sov Blok agents or just gangster types?  Oooh..  Great stuff.
Harry Kipling Nice to see our resident God-killer back in action, and this is a great opening - really good to see some back story here.  It will be good to have a re-read of the whole lot a little further down the line.  Great stuff.
The V.C.s Plods along towards a not-too-distant conclusion, hopefully.  Okay stuff.
Red Seas Coming hot on the heals of last weeks monster marathon is another great episode.  An assasination run, eh?  By air?  That flying beastie in the last panel probably doesn't bode well, then.  Fantastic stuff!
London Falling Moves along at quite a pace - how much of this are we going to get?  Some of the rhyming slang left me in a muddle (gypsy? - I thought that was a cup of tea) but apart from that, this is one of the best new things in the prog for a long time.  Great stuff.
Letter of the week It certainly is.

Keef Monkey

Great issue this week. Was the most entertaining Kipling episode yet with incredible art, V.C.s is still doing it for me(although I seem to be in the minority), the latest phase of Red Seas is very epic in vibe and I never actually expected London Falling to take such a nasty turn, loving it! As for Dredd, storywise I'm loving it but really really dislike the art. Last week it didn't bother me much but this week I hated it. Droid Life was a chuckle and the cover was fantastic.
Also, the Abaddon sampler was a very nice touch, had already decided I was going to pick these books up but will be nice to dip into them in advance...

judge dreddd

my prog did not arrive monday :(

hope its waiting for when i get home :)

wadew1

Best Prog in a while.
I liked all of the stories.

1.)Kipling: Fun strip, great art.
2.)Red Seas: #2 because a dinosaur threw a ninja star boomerang thing.
3.)Dredd: Pretty good action story so far.
4.)London Falling: Like the story, would like it more if it had better art. Right now it's blurry and confusing in places.
5.)VCs: The brief Smith/Loyalist Geek talk was good. Anthony Williams is also doing a nice job.

Bad Andy

Red Seas: #2 because a dinosaur threw a ninja star boomerang thing.

I bet Jack gets his hands on that by the end of the story. 'bout time he had another mystical item - that dog's rubbish in a fight.

judge dreddd

ACE AND I got a free book in mine :)

Tharg recognises talented judges yer see, it is all mine,mineMINE !!!

Floyd-the-k

Dredd is good so far...I keep waiting for it to explode into full-on John Smith gibberish, but so far he's restrained

Kipling is looking better. I've previously seen it as a one joke story in which the one joke wasn't much chop anyway. This one I like more. "untouchable" is a good way to describe the art, which I dislike, everything looks kind of slimy

VCs is a bit ho-hum...

Red Seas is good boyish fun

London Falling: looks brillig so far, really well-thought out, intriguing

aren't we lucky to have Spurrier writing and evolving before our very eyes?

Oh and the Droidlife was funny

all in all good stuff

Satanist

Now that's what I call a Prog!

Cover : Spiffing. Its an image thats been done to death but its still great.

Droid Life : Always preferable to a coming soon image.

Dredd : Not a fecking clue where this is going so that's a good thing. Art does seem rushed though.

Kipling : Not my favourite story in the prog, not my favourite artist. Still gets read though.

VC's : And on it trundles. And on...

Red Seas : Ace stuff. Pirates, dinos at war & Lovely B&W art. Yum.

London Calling : I don't have a clue who these myths are and really cant be bothered to Google. No that's a lie I don't want to Google so I can be surprised. Really enjoying this un and like the art, so there!

For me its the best prog in ages so cheers Farg!
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Roger Godpleton

Cover: Great Stuff.
Dredd: Good Stuff.
Kipling: Very Good Stuff.
The Vczzzz: Really Bad Stuff
Red Seas: Good Stuff.
London: Great Stuff.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!