Started by Daveycandlish, 17 March, 2011, 09:29:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Chivo

Nice one , Colin
Good 2 meet u m8!

Cheers

Chi

locustsofdeath!

Great news, Davey. Well done, Mister Editor.

Daveycandlish

Thanks Chi, for taking some along and spreading the word!

Thanks to everyone else for the kind words - hope you'll stick around for the next issue to see what happens next!
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

Daveycandlish

New review up on geekchocolate

http://www.geekchocolate.com/

saying, about Jikan
Writer Mark Howard handles what could easily have become 16 pages of cliché with style and wit.
and
it is wonderfully rendered by the pencils of artist El Chivo

and on Icarus
Prestwood's art is given space and time to stretch out here, with so much of the story being told visually it's a chance for the art to shine, and it does with some fine and imaginative panels.

An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

El Chivo

Wow! That's pretty arsom!

Nice one Dave

Cheers

Chi

locustsofdeath!

My strip has taken a bit of a beating these first two reviews. I'm a bit bummed by that, but I hope as the story progresses readers take to it better - allowing that it actually gets better, of course. I've blogged a sneak preview of the second episode, along with some of the self-doubting that has resulted in the face of a couple of blah reviews: http://locustsofdeath.blogspot.com/2011/04/robot-ramblings-mekkos-2-previewmekkos.html.

Van Dom

Just seen this on Facebook. Good stuff! Well done Dave!

Edited to add:
Chin up locusts! You're story rocks, nothing wrong with a bit of moody scene setting and build-up. They'll eat their words, mark my, err, words!!!
Van Dom! El Chivo! Bhuna! Prof T Bear! And More! All in Vanguard Edition Three, available now. Check the blog or FB page for details!

VANGUARD COMIC!

VANGUARD FACEBOOK PAGE!

The Legendary Shark

Wowzer - thanks for giving me the opportunity to write Jikan, I really appreciate it! And thanks for pairing me with such excellent artists - makes me look a lot better than I am!
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

locustsofdeath!

Quote from: Van Dom on 14 April, 2011, 11:03:43 PM
Chin up locusts! You're story rocks, nothing wrong with a bit of moody scene setting and build-up. They'll eat their words, mark my, err, words!!!

Cheers, mate. I don't mean to be a buzz-kill. First and foremost, I'm glad the magazine as a whole has gotten great overall reviews. It being paired with Ganesh next issue will be a real treat!

Daveycandlish

http://forbiddenplanet.co.uk/blog/

A new review of this issue is up on the Forbidden Planet blog today, with more praise for Icarus - and a reprint of his comments on the Jikan tale by Shark and El Chivo, as the tale is itself reprinted from the Jikan Chronicles!
(cheeky :))

El Chivo