Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

milstar

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 31 December, 2021, 04:56:57 PM
...now onto Omen 2 which I suspect I will find a bit daft, but also suspect I will enjoy as well...

I wonder what Mike Hodges vision would have been. I am definitely keen on the idea "What if?" What if Stanley Kubrick directed the first Exorcist? Or William Friedkin the third? Or Ridley Scott or Michael Bay I am Legend? Sadly, we will never get the answer.
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

Radbacker

Finally got out to see Spider-Man No Way Home, nothing to say except it was f'n brilliant.  Tom Holland is a great young actor and really brought the feels when they were needed.  In fact it was well acted all round by everyone.

CU Radbacker

Hawkmumbler

TITANE

Psycho erotic body horror by way of French extremist feminism cinema and my fuckin god, its been a long time since a film made me squirm. Julia Ducournau is simply one of the best in the industry right now and it quite, quite deranged.

pictsy

The Matrix Resurrections

I considered revisiting the trilogy before watching this and then figured it might be better to just take it as it comes on its own merits.  I have no idea whether that influenced my opinion of the film or not.  The Matrix is a franchise I don't mind watching every now and again, but I never got on the hype train.  I always felt the philosophical elements were poorly slapped together and the action had a tendency to drag on past it's welcome - I got seriously bored watching the second film in the cinema.  As a first time viewing experience, Resurrection is the best time I've had with a Matrix movie.  There are a load of dorky moments, but I felt it worked as a continuation and wasn't left disappointed.  The action did drag a little, but overall I'd say I was entertained.  I liked the ending, too.  I enjoyed the real world context of the film as well.  Lana Wachowski's not-at-all subtle digs at Warner Bros. was funny and it's clear this is something that neither Wachowski wanted to return to.  Ultimately I think it came across as a blatantly personal film.  Nevertheless, this ends up blurring with the fiction and conceits of the movie at times and I felt the themes got a little muddled in places.  Basically, it's a Matrix film and I had a lot of fun watching it.

milstar

Step backward compared to the predecessors. Tbh, I wouldn't be interested in seeing this film if it wasn't Kingsman entry. Maybe previous films spoiled me a bit but I didn't feel it as a Kingsman film. I didn't find the ww1 setting inspiring and I was not amused a one bit how the film plays out using real historical happenings (and characters, the latter I've found a bit off) for its narrative, but hey - creative freedom. The first half of the film is disjointed, unfocused (is it spy film, family drama, war film), scenes go back and fourth for the sake of moving the heavily predictable plot. Although there a few, npt-seen-it-coming twists here (one is quite egregious). I like Gemma Arterton here, but she always comes at the right time and saying or doing the right thing. Few of the characters have their quirks, but few really stand-out. Rasputin could have a bigger role and I admit I imagined Alan Moore while watching him. The villains' machinations are a bit outlandish for me, not his goal, but the means to achieve it. Future SNP supporter. I almost believed he's gonna be played by Robert Carlyle (mostly because of that Bond film he is in), but no, it was Ozymandias. And if Ralph Fiennes decide to follow the steps of Liam Neeson and does middle-aged man action roles, he's all set.
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

The Legendary Shark

Troy. The Iliad was the first 'proper' book I ever read and although this film necessarily pares it down and plays with the timeline it's still one of my go-to films when I can't be arsed looking for something new. Achilles is the role Brad Pitt was born to play and the rest of the cast do a pretty magnificent job as well. Love it.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Dandontdare

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 13 January, 2022, 11:01:06 PM

Troy. The Iliad was the first 'proper' book I ever read and although this film necessarily pares it down and plays with the timeline it's still one of my go-to films when I can't be arsed looking for something new. Achilles is the role Brad Pitt was born to play and the rest of the cast do a pretty magnificent job as well. Love it.

It's called The Iliad because Ilium was another name for Troy, and the suffix ~ad means "the story of..", so the title actually translates as Troy Story

I'll get my coat

The Legendary Shark

To Elysium and beyond!

Um, can you get my coat as well while you're at it...?

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Colin YNWA

Moonrise Kingdom

I mean its sooooo self consiously a Wes Anderson. Could a film be more Wes Anderson? Which is luckly as I love Wes Anderson and therefore found this witty, charming, beautiful and honest. The fact that ita all so nicely off balance also makes it plesently unsettling in the most comfortable way.

A slightly risque hug of a movie.

Colin YNWA

Rushmore

So it would seem Moonrise Kingdom has inspired a bit of a Wes Anderson Season with a few more available via streaming services meaning I don't need to dig out old DVDs.

More importantly I therefore had to start off with Rushmore which remains utterly wonderful and creepy, not in the scary way. It too is

A slightly risque hug of a movie.

Jim_Campbell

Watched The Eternals on Disney+ last night. I'm not sure I get the hate — it's certainly not top tier Marvel, and it's comfortably thirty minutes too long, but it passed the time engagingly enough.

It might have been a different story if I'd seen it in the cinema — the lack of a clearly defined 'villain' for much of its running time contributes to an air of shapelessness, which the slightly leisurely pacing accentuates. Not a problem when you can pause for a pee and grab another G&T, but I can imagine a certain amount of bum-numbness creeping in if you were parked in a seat in a theatre.

From the (admittedly lacklustre) trailers, you'd also have the notion that this was Angeline Jolie's movie, which it very much isn't. Nonetheless, it looks great, has decent enough action sequences, the plot hangs together pretty well (although it fails to engage with several interesting moral/philosophical questions it flirts with).

(I can't help but wonder if some of the initial online negativity was a reaction to the determinedly diverse cast of characters and the fact that the film is strongly female-led. Since I had no intention of going to the cinema to see anything when The Eternals hit theatres, I wasn't paying much attention, and I wonder if there was the hand of the "wokeness is ruining Marvel" crowd in play there.)

But, whatever. It's fine. It feels very tangential to the mainstream MCU, but I think that's part of the point. We were entertained, and I'm certainly interested to see how these characters are going to integrate into the MCU. There are mid and end credit sequences that are worth fast-forwarding to get to.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 16 January, 2022, 10:16:36 AM
(I can't help but wonder if some of the initial online negativity was a reaction to the determinedly diverse cast of characters and the fact that the film is strongly female-led. Since I had no intention of going to the cinema to see anything when The Eternals hit theatres, I wasn't paying much attention, and I wonder if there was the hand of the "wokeness is ruining Marvel" crowd in play there.)

I think its a very tempting trap to fall into in assuming a lot of criticism for media comes from a place of, at best, bad faith and at worse outright bigotry. Its interesting you would bring this up for THE ETERNALS where, in contrast to Black Panther and Captain Marvel which where tarred and feathered by the right wing nostalgia media losers brigade, was actually largely derided for the simple fact its looked ugly as sin and incredibly dull.

Rara Avis

It was definitely too long but I felt the real issue was that it focused on the least interesting parts of the story and not the most interesting parts.

1. [spoiler]An immortal being suffering from Alzheimer's of whatever it was called.[/spoiler]

2. [spoiler]The death of an immortal & leader and the impact on the group - it's largely glossed over for plot reasons we come to understand later but I felt there was something really interesting to explore here. [/spoiler]

3. [spoiler]With such a diverse and varied cast you don't get enough time with each one to ultimately give a shit about what happens to them.[/spoiler]

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 16 January, 2022, 11:22:23 AM
blahblahblahblahblahblah

Look, I don't why you feel you have some contractual obligation to let everyone know how clever and highbrow you are by chiming in with a bunch of snotty comments every time anyone says they enjoyed one of these movies, but this apparent compulsion to tell people that they're wrong and they have no taste simply because they enjoyed a movie you didn't is incredibly tiresome.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

broodblik

I watched The Eternals as well I enjoyed it.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.