And the next Avengers film is...

Started by JOE SOAP, 21 July, 2013, 03:35:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE SOAP

The Ant-Man connection is revealed:

COMMANDO FORCES

JOE SOAP

Link Prime

We can only assume it has nothing to do with Bendis' recent shite.

I suppose you could see why they'd go for Ultron as a villain- lots of similar looking robots that they can smash / smite / impale with arrows without any moral compunction whatsoever.

von Boom

Shite.

I saw Avengers and immediately thought this:

I keep hoping to erase the 1998 travesty.

Goaty

The Avengers joke is three years too late.

von Boom

Professor Bear

Anyone else find it hilarious that the movie makers almost immediately announced that the story had nothing to do with the comic of the same name?  That comic pretty much broke me on Marvel superhero books - but luckily Image have loads of new titles coming out to fill the gap so I don't have to worry too much about having any money.

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 21 July, 2013, 03:35:39 AMThe Ant-Man connection is revealed

Whedon has already stated Ant-Man won't be in it, so I assume that the movie version is the unfunny scumbag iteration of the character that's been knocking around for the last few years and someone else invents the robots.

Link Prime

Quote from: Professor James T Bear on 22 July, 2013, 04:04:54 PM
Anyone else find it hilarious that the movie makers almost immediately announced that the story had nothing to do with the comic of the same name?  That comic pretty much broke me on Marvel superhero books

I'm genuinely surprised you actually read it.
Even a former self confessed Marvel Zombie could see the writing on the wall for that one.
I picked up the 1st issue cause my LCS was selling it for 2 Euro. It was terrible.
Every article I've read or anecdote I've heard about it since has been overwhelmingly derisory.

Professor Bear

My LCS has a habit of bunging things I don't want into my order, which I understand as they're pressured into ordering set amounts of books by the distributor and publishers and they need to actually get rid of all that stock somehow - though in the case of Before Watchmen, almost no-one would actually take the books even when they were being given away.

Age Of Ultron is an odd duck, all the same.  I try to get angry at it but it just sits in the corner staring at me with huge, sad eyes.  I have read comics that are worse in terms of quality, but I've read few that are so outright worthless, and for reasons beyond the off-model characters (a consequence of the issues being in a drawer for several years) and a plot that has not only been done in literally every single sci-fi show I can think of (and even some shows which aren't sci-fi, seeing as it's basically It's A Wonderful Life) but also as the basis of no less than two major Marvel crossovers, one of which was actually written by the guy who wrote Age of Ultron.  No, its worthlessness goes beyond that to things like the non-ending which - I shit you not - is basically a bunch of Marvel characters in a room saying "we have broken the Marvel universe by doing the same plot too many times - we hoped no-one would notice if we spread it out over the years, but I have checked the internet and they are talking about this but not in a good way, so maybe this time we went too far." and no, it is not meant to be metacommentary, and yes, it is a scene that already appeared in a comic at least ten years ago and to make matters worse I think it was written by Jeph Loeb, so that's where the bar was on that one.

So yeah, in a nutshell AoU's problem is that it is a comic that hinges on acknowledging its own worthlessness and hoping the reader doesn't take it as a slap in the face.

Link Prime

Quote from: Professor James T Bear on 22 July, 2013, 05:34:37 PM
So yeah, in a nutshell AoU's problem is that it is a comic that hinges on acknowledging its own worthlessness and hoping the reader doesn't take it as a slap in the face.

Ha, now you've made me wanna read it in an ironic kinda way!