Main Menu

Last game played...

Started by Keef Monkey, 11 June, 2011, 09:35:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SIP

I didnt feel any of that pain while playing Odyssey, easily one of my favourite gaming experiences of the last 20 years. I'm gutted that after about 150 hours I've finally run out of things to do. I'm no mourning it's end.

SIP

Ignore the "no", I am mourning it's end.

Keef Monkey

Quote from: Professor Bear on 21 January, 2019, 07:24:49 PM
The Long Dark - I'd still have preferred to have played something with more realistic graphics, as this is going to date badly once some of this year's major post-apocalyptic open-world games hit the market.

Found this view interesting, as I've usually found the opposite! Generally games that aim for photo-realism have always been the ones that I find show their age as the ability to do that advances, while a more stylized art direction will still hold up years later for me. Just my opinion, and I haven't played The Long Dark yet, just found it an interesting take because mine is so different! Think I'll check this out, it sounds like it could suck me in for a while.

Professor Bear

I will cede that cel shading looks as good 4 years later as it did on day 1.

Tiplodocus

Not a game played but found an interesting youtube channel called GAME MAKERS TOOL KIT which, for me anyway, is teaching me lots about games and their mechanics are constructed. Which let's me understand a bit better why some of the things that I play are fun, and some aren't.

Apart from some programming on a ZX Spectrum, I haven't any knowledge of the form of games (so 3D, proper colour and anything bigger than a screen of action is alien to me). So this is good thought provoking stuff.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Apestrife

TRAVIS STRIKES AGAIN: NO MORE HEROES
Started out feeling like a No more heroes CO-OP spin off with a bit of cash grab warning, but turned into the "avengers" of SUDA51 games. The game has it's footing in No more heroes, but it's head is almost as "high" up as Killer7. As the story grows, the gameplay does as well. From a few attacks to 28 additional ones. Same with the enemy variety. Perhaps not for everyone, but when each level has "press a button" screens complete with intros which auto starts like this one https://youtu.be/yqrkukJcIkw as well as being Playstation horror/adventure homages like this (aptly called "coffee and doughnuts) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5AA85h12b0 then I can't help but to love it  :D

Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KG24TTOhg_A

Theblazeuk

Enjoying the RE2 Remake. Bloody zombies get my pulse racing never mind that bugger in the suit who just wont die. Think I'm most of the way through Leon A though as got to the NEST (which I don't think it was called that originally so must be from the movie).

GrudgeJohnDeed

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 28 January, 2019, 08:32:34 PM
Enjoying the RE2 Remake. Bloody zombies get my pulse racing never mind that bugger in the suit who just wont die. Think I'm most of the way through Leon A though as got to the NEST (which I don't think it was called that originally so must be from the movie).

Absolutely. It might be the scariest game I've ever played! That relentless Dolph Lundgren lookalike you mention is terrifying, most places are so goddamn dark almost to Doom 3 levels sometimes, the aiming is tricky leading to accidents losing ammo and health which are already in limited supply, and Leon seems pretty fragile. You feel very vulnerable playing it, and it's awesome. The scariness factor gets multiplied by how real it looks too, graphics really are getting there aren't they (and all running at 60 fps most of the time on the X)?

Just finished Leon's first scenario, I'm going to jump into Claire's now!

JimmyNailz

Bought a game for a fiver (it was 50% discount) on Steam yesterday called "3030 DEATHWAR: A SPACE ODYSSEY".  Imagine, if you will, a space-trading game along the lines of "Elite" (but as a topdown space shooter) mixed with Lucasart adventure games such as "The Secret Of Monkey Island".  Are you imagining it? Are you? Are you?  If you answered YES, then you're probably imagining "3030 DEATHWAR: A SPACE ODYSSEY".   For those of a certain age, it's the greatest Amiga 500 game you never got to play in the 90s.  Only been playing a couple of hours, but already hooked.

BUY IT! :-)

Keef Monkey

Quote from: GrudgeJohnDeed on 29 January, 2019, 02:28:04 PM
Quote from: Theblazeuk on 28 January, 2019, 08:32:34 PM

Absolutely. It might be the scariest game I've ever played! That relentless Dolph Lundgren lookalike you mention is terrifying, most places are so goddamn dark almost to Doom 3 levels sometimes, the aiming is tricky leading to accidents losing ammo and health which are already in limited supply, and Leon seems pretty fragile. You feel very vulnerable playing it, and it's awesome. The scariness factor gets multiplied by how real it looks too, graphics really are getting there aren't they (and all running at 60 fps most of the time on the X)?

Just finished Leon's first scenario, I'm going to jump into Claire's now!

It's amazing, fills me with nostalgia but feels absolutely bang up to date too. An amazing remake (so far, I'm about 5hrs into Leon's campaign)!

I'm playing on the X and pretty sure it is hitting 60fps, but the in-game HDR calibration is a bit wonky so if you follow the instructions you wind up with a really brightened washed out image, so you totally lose that great atmospheric darkness in the flashlight sections. Looked online and found this video which seems to have sorted me out - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhSyxjnwLOA&t=1039s

It's a long video, but the short version is if you're playing on a Pro or an X then you should follow the instructions on the first screen (the adjust the slider until the square is barely visible one) and then on the next screen (adjust slider until red and blue bars are the same size) you supposedly have to ignore the bars entirely and just set the slider to the 3rd or 4th notch from the left to get the correct level.

I've done that now and it's looking way better, I couldn't figure out why every video I looked at was drenched in atmospheric darkness and I was running around well-lit rooms all the time! A shame the setup is a bit wonky, but it's not the first game to do a confusing job of that (or to just fake the HDR entirely).

Theblazeuk

Finished off Leon A at 6 hours, started Claire B. Good god, those first few minutes are intense for poor Claire. It doesn't seem quite as fleshed out a second campaign as the original and I hit a bit of fatigue once a certain someone showed up, so gone back to PUBG for a bit. But I'll return.

Here's hoping they make a mercenaries subgame. I played so much of that on RE3 and RE4.

GrudgeJohnDeed

I'm hoping they add a fixed camera mode complete with tank controls like the original, that'd be ace :D

It's pretty much a perfect remaster so far for me, any gripes I have are total nitpicks. I keep marvelling at the technical achievement - it is best-in-class in its own right in many ways but because it is a remaster and I have the original to compare it to, it really hits home how far we've come in a way that most games can't. It's crazy to me that we can run around improved versions of those pre-rendered backgrounds from the original RE2 at 60 fps with great real-time lighting, populated with just as impressive characters and monsters.

cheers for the tip keef, I don't have a HDR tv but sometimes it does look a little washed out so I might try recalibrating.

Quote from: JimmyNailz on 29 January, 2019, 03:03:06 PM
Bought a game for a fiver (it was 50% discount) on Steam yesterday called "3030 DEATHWAR: A SPACE ODYSSEY".  Imagine, if you will, a space-trading game along the lines of "Elite" (but as a topdown space shooter) mixed with Lucasart adventure games such as "The Secret Of Monkey Island".  Are you imagining it? Are you? Are you?  If you answered YES, then you're probably imagining "3030 DEATHWAR: A SPACE ODYSSEY".   For those of a certain age, it's the greatest Amiga 500 game you never got to play in the 90s.  Only been playing a couple of hours, but already hooked.

BUY IT! :-)

I've wanted to make a game almost exactly like that for a while! Sounds awesome, thanks for the recommendation.

Keef Monkey

Yeah it's a really stark contrast to compare the original RE2 and the remake. The very first shot of a cheeseburger is about the pinnacle of technology as far as I'm concerned. Beautiful!

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 30 January, 2019, 12:37:17 PM
Here's hoping they make a mercenaries subgame. I played so much of that on RE3 and RE4.

Capcom have apparently said that if this does well and people want it, they'll remake RE3 next. That would make me really happy as now that 2 is out 3 is the only mainline numbered Resi game that isn't available on current consoles. It feels really good to have them all sitting in my Xbox library so now itching to fill that RE3 shaped gap! Plus I remember it very fondly and I'm not sure I even tried the mercs mode.

GrudgeJohnDeed

I know exactly what you mean about filling the RE3 hole, and I bet it'll happen mate! I definitely think it'll have sold well as it did great critically and the marketing is everywhere, not to mention RE2 is most people's favourite one. But with 2 and 3 sharing a location amongst other things, they've already created a lot of assets they could reuse, I bet they're biased towards doing it! So exciting, RE3 could be even scarier than this remake..

Keef Monkey

Finished my first Leon playthrough last night, which meant sitting up later than I should have on a weeknight but I couldn't put it down! Will be hitting the energy drinks today for sure. It was fantastic, though finishes a bit abruptly so a Claire playthrough and possibly a go on the '2nd run' modes that unlock are obviously needed to glue the whole story together. I always remembered RE2 being my favourite, but because it's never had the remake treatment in the way RE1 has (several times) my memories of the specifics were a lot hazier, which means this does spark a lot of nostalgia but still feels really fresh and surprising.

Very excited to start again as Claire, I really don't want to stop playing this thing! It's made me want to replay the others too, particularly RE7 which I've been meaning to go back through on the harder difficulties for a while. I've got Revelations 1&2 on the pile too, never played them before. After not really enjoying 5&6 it feels so good to be a RE fan right now, good to see such a great series back on top.