Main Menu

My comics are eating my home

Started by Trout, 04 July, 2002, 07:21:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trout

I'd be interested to hear other boarders' experiences of storing comics.

I've been forced to devote a large part of my spare room to stacks of storage boxes (the ones A4 paper come in are perfect for US format comics) and piles of 2K stacked haphazardly on shelves.

Has everyone else resorted to lofts, garages and mysterious sub-bed spaces, where odd shoes breed and no-one ever goes?

Trout

Oddboy

I've got three huge boxes full of 2Ks under the table next to my bed & a couple of drawers full of Megazines & more recent 2Ks...  Once I move house (again) I'll probably stick the huge boxes in the lounge & throw a table cloth over 'em to turn 'em into thrillpowered coffeetables.
Better set your phaser to stun.

stodge

i have managed to hide all mine in similar boxes in the loft which i boarded out for storage....that's what i'm doing with it now in fact.  the bonus is that my girlfriend doesn't like ladders so she never goes up there and consequently doesn't know the extent of my spending when it comes to collecting back issues......:o)

eventually i plane to buy proper storage boxes as the bottom always falls out of the ones i have.  i may even bag the pre prog 520 issues but that may be a bit fanboy extreme..

Shakara

All my 2ks so far have managed to fit into one A4 size box, and my Megazines barely fill another A3 size. But what I need now is a shelving unit for my billions of back issues an graphic novels that are loose:)

SHAKARA!

The Amstor Computer

Well, virtually my entire collection is in storage right now, but I always kept them on bookshelves. Takes up a bit of room & weighs quite a bit, but it meant I could read them whenever the fancy took me (no climbing in attics for me ;-)) & it kept them neat 'n tidy.

...Of course, it did mean that virtually every wall in the room was covered with bookcases...

Mudcrab

I'm afraid I've got all mine bagged in proper boxes (CollectorLine). 10 boxes in all for all progs, megazines, specials etc with space for the next couple of years I reckon. I know a lot of them aren't worth bagging etc as such, but having the whole lot in bags and boxes is very pleasing indeed. And no, it's no hassle to read them, they're now easier to find, I've not used sticky tape on the bags, just folded over. I don't have to bring out a huge pile and scatter them everywhere to find the ones I want. Having a series index is also very handy though.

I used to have them all stacked in my wardrobe. The upshot of all this is I can now store clothes in my wardrobe!
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

jdmobius

I have my whole collection stored in boxes bought from "Partners" the stationers. They take about 220 bagged 2000AD's or 180 if boarded as well. They're a little bigger than A4 size so allow for you not to have to fold the edge of the bags over when storing them. The boxes can cope with the weight of all the progs as well. I've got my entire collection of Action, Battle, 2000AD and associated comics in boxes in the loft and it's surprising how little space they actually take up.

Ol^ Marbles

Gotta be another marketing opportunity here for Rebellion.
Say they were to flog 'Collectorline' type 100 prog boxes, with the requisite backing boards & bags. They could customise the boxes by making them 'Prog specific' ie. Progs 1200-1300. They could then have say 4 25 issue dividers in each box listing the major story arc's in those 25 progs etc. Add a few bits of 2k/JD art to the outside of the boxes and its a fanboys wet dream !
Ludicrously expensive of course.

Mk13

It's something we're looking at, as we're coming to the end of the binders we inherited from Fleetway. At the moment, we're considering the idea of box-file type storage. Any thoughts on what sort of storage collectors prefer would be received with interest.

Art

heh. How about a Rogue Trooper box with a bio-chip slot for the keyring?

Oddboy

What about 5year boxes, approx 260 progs per box, and have the 2000AD logo from that period stamped on the outside.
Too much or too flashy cover art would be wasted as these things are most likely to be placed out of sight and would force the price up too high, although glossy Jock Dredd masterpieces would be great.
Better set your phaser to stun.

Wake

I use 40 prog boxes, though 1-year boxes could work. The reason is that I can therefore pick them up one handed at arms length (they are on a top shelf). I used to use A4 paper boxes, but they got too heavy.

I don't bag the comics individually. For one thing, it greatly increases the amount of storage required.

Wake

JTurner

I don't know where to get those collectorline boxes from, but I'd order a few 2K boxes. I wouldn't mind some artwork on then, as I'd probably have at least one box out of storage for reading. I've just moved house and I discovered just how heavy a stack of comics can be.

I'm off to Ikea tonight, though, so I may look and see what sort of storage stuff they have there.

Mudcrab

I don't think boxes specific to a range i.e. 300-400 are a good idea, at least not the same. I don't think I got the same amount in any 2 boxes, apart from maybe the first 3. After that the thickness of all the rest varies loads. I certainly prefer the size of boxes I've got. They tend to hold (bagged, with every tenth one boarded) about 150 - 200. I've got 1-519 in three boxes. For a whole collection, that size is fine. Might be an idea to have smaller ones for the 'average' new collector though.
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

stodge

does anyone use those freezer type bags with the push seal on the top? (like a plastic zip). i don't currently use bags but i would imagine they would be easier to open and close than tape sealed poly bags and more protection than leaving the bags open.  the only prohibitive factor could be the extra cost...any comments?